Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Reports of Texas DPS going to 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Picking up your own brass is a powerful message IMHO.
    QFT. And absolutely true, regardless of profession, field, or station in life.

"I stole the "Pick up your own kittening brass" line from Randy Watt, who may know a thing or two about leadership."
    He sure does!

Command staff absolutely should qualify and train with the troops. Period.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

It's a bit far fetched to call oneself a "leader" if that person is not setting the example to be followed. That is not to say that a leader must be the best in everything to get a person to follow them, but a good leader who aspires to be the best they can be in their duties, will inspire the follower to do the same, and hopefully to carry that torch further.

There is a lot lost in leadership in this country, not just with top brass in the MIL/LE communities, but also at a fundamental paradigm of how this country as a whole views what a leader or more correctly leadership is and or should be. Somewhere along the lines, a shift happend from identifying and developing leaders, to wanting managers. But that's probably best for a different thread.

Should a director/commander/supervisor be qualifying with the troops? He should be leading his troops, by setting the example in the preparation and performance in the qualification, and if not setting the standards higher, demonstrating his/her desire and drive to improve that performance so that they are setting the examples and providing that inspiration to the subordinates...

My $.02

Commanders should be shooting with the troops during one of the days they are training, not at special get-togethers that give the impression, false or not, that they are above mingling with the commoners and/or can't be bothered to train and/or can't make the cut so they need special no witnesses days to "qual".
    I have no doubt that the practice (in my old agency, anyway) was begun for precisely those reasons. It was certainly evident during my tenure as FTU supervisor.

However... regardless of WHY the practice is continued today, I can assure you that the majority of the Command Staff today is far from showing weak or failed leadership. I worked with, or trained, most of them, and still talk to them as I run across them in day-to-day business. All but a couple have NOT forgotten "from whence they came." And THAT, in my opinion, is much more important than picking up their own brass on qual day.

My guys can't say this stuff about me. I am one of three people in the agency with a Master pistol pin.

....I can assure you that the majority of the Command Staff today........

That's good to know. I wasn't speaking to those guys specifically, but more editorializing on the persistent failures in leadership I see in law enforcement today.

Of course I see continuing leadership failures throughout our country as well......................

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    My guys can't say this stuff about me. I am one of three people in the agency with a Master pistol pin.
    My first Chief pulled some rank in not transitioning to the .357mag when everybody else did, kept his model 15 2" with the Maga stocks and a Tyler T-Grip. I never saw him wear a uniform when I was there, always a suit.

But he was at the range with the troops when we shot, and we shot quarterly under his watch instead of twice a year.

He was an old PPC guys and would end a 60 rounds qual course with a ragged hole the size of your fist in the middle of the B27. Accuracy wise he was in the top three if he wasn't the best shot on the department.

He was an old PPC guys and would end a 60 rounds qual course with a ragged hole the size of your fist in the middle of the B27. Accuracy wise he was in the top three if he wasn't the best shot on the department.
    We had a PPC master at my dept. He smoked some bad guys back in the day. Reeeeaally good shooter.

Of course I see continuing leadership failures throughout our country as well......................
    Ain't that the truth...

User Tag List