Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FBI Firearms Instructor Course

FBI Firearms Instructor Course

Link to my article

Frank Proctor and Tiger McKee both taught blocks of instruction during the course. While I did pick up a few teaching points from McKee, I have to say that Proctor absolutely rocked.

One guy got kicked out for safety issues. Apparently, the decocker on a Beretta 92 isn't as efficient as using the trigger and thumb method... Yup, it happened.

I had one major foul up. The last time I had my rifle out was at night, and I flipped to the low light aperture and forgot to flip it back. It cost me the Top Gun award. I finished third. The top three were decided by points to the right of the decimal.

Nice write up & congratulations, Sir.

Congrats! That's a good class. I went through the same class organized by Vicki at the Tuscaloosa academy a few years ago. Actually got tired of shooting over those two weeks. Being in the top three in that class is fantastic. There are usually some very capable shooters in the mix. Well done, sir.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Link to my article

Frank Proctor and Tiger McKee both taught blocks of instruction during the course. While I did pick up a few teaching points from McKee, I have to say that Proctor absolutely rocked.

One guy got kicked out for safety issues. Apparently, the decocker on a Beretta 92 isn't as efficient as using the trigger and thumb method... Yup, it happened.

I had one major foul up. The last time I had my rifle out was at night, and I flipped to the low light aperture and forgot to flip it back. It cost me the Top Gun award. I finished third. The top three were decided by points to the right of the decimal.
    Congratulations!!! Unreal about the ND.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post

Standard A2? Was the problem margin of error due to the larger aperture, or the vertical offset?
    I replaced the rear apertures on our duty rifles with XS same-plane apertures for the latter.

I went through the FBI Firearms Instructor Course in 2011 and had the privelage to make presentations at two subsequent courses. I agree, it is a good training program.
    C Class shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sotex View Post
    Standard A2? Was the problem margin of error due to the larger aperture, or the vertical offset?
    I replaced the rear apertures on our duty rifles with XS same-plane apertures for the latter.
    It was both

jlw, at the end of your article, you mention loaning your "revolver" to another student whose agency issued "revolver" went down. Were those really revolvers or were they semi-autos?

Joe Mamma

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mamma View Post
    jlw, at the end of your article, you mention loaning your "revolver" to another student whose agency issued "revolver" went down. Were those really revolvers or were they semi-autos?

Joe Mamma
    Yes, they were really revolvers. We shot a 60 round course with the wheelguns that included 18 rounds from the 50 yard line. Six of those were with the support hand.

I shot my 586. I brought a sweet 3" model 65 with me. His agency gave him a revolver for use in the course, and it had issues; so, I loaned him my 65.

Very cool article and congrats on the top three finish!
    Too bad you couldn't break out the lever-action patrol rifle, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

User Tag List