Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Dark Star Gear AIWB (Casual Carry)

Dark Star Gear AIWB (Casual Carry)

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    FIST does it pretty well for a G19 and a single clip (fishhook thing inside the clip) with their #1K straight drop option. I think their angle is that they seat the semiauto pistol deeper than many so the need for additional engineering engineering or loops to tuck the butt in per se is unnecessary in my experience of using them for quite a few years.

And I've been reading for years of course that without a full grip available on the pistol the holster is defective but my personal SME-ness carrying this way for many more years indicates that is not necessarily so. I've shot as good of timed drills with deeper riding AIWB and IWB as I have with OWB, yet the deeper sitting pistol is concealed better. YMMV

Edit: Not trying to be a dick mentioning another brand, only to mention design points around single loops or single clips and the topic of ride height.
    Shoot me an email. I'll get one out to you if you can do a comparison for me.

Won't be soon but it's an easier way to see what's what.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Pretty much what JV said. The recent trend has been for people to make single loop vertical IWB holsters and that has skewed what an appendix holster is. The G19 though may be borderline. The smaller guns do happen to work for most without a wedge.

If you eased up on the concealment needs it may be fine but then you have a belt requirement that dictates what pants to wear. I have a product to help there but it's not finalized.
    So it seems like the solution for it to work with heavier pistol is to go with a lower ride height like fist but I'm not too keen on that. Whatdo you have in the works that will allow for a g19 to go beltless? Two clips?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbowtko View Post
    So it seems like the solution for it to work with heavier pistol is to go with a lower ride height like fist but I'm not too keen on that. Whatdo you have in the works that will allow for a g19 to go beltless? Two clips?
    My personal solution to this was "buy a Shield".

I don't want to have to tighten my drawstrings down enough so that the shorts themselves aren't an issue with a heavier pistol moving around. There comes a point when it makes more sense to just put on a belt. Plus, my overall dress when I'm not wearing a belt mean I'm likely to print with a G19 anyway.

I'll try to get some pics posted, but my new DSG clip holster for my G42 is the shizzle. It's my new lounge around gun/holster combo for when I am in gym shorts or sweat pants.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    My personal solution to this was "buy a Shield".

I don't want to have to tighten my drawstrings down enough so that the shorts themselves aren't an issue with a heavier pistol moving around. There comes a point when it makes more sense to just put on a belt. Plus, my overall dress when I'm not wearing a belt mean I'm likely to print with a G19 anyway.
    I like to not have two holsters if there is a solution out there. Generally speaking if I'm not wearing a belt, I might be in baggy clothes such as sweat pants which warrants a clip, however when it comes time to head out. I'd like not to switch into a whole different holster.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbowtko View Post
    . . .Generally speaking if I'm not wearing a belt, I might be in baggy clothes such as sweat pants which warrants a clip . . ..
    Hah! Can you tell I live in SoCal now ?

Sweatpants ? What are those??? Is that something connected with temperature below 70 degrees?

My glock 42 model is out for delivery now!
    Chemist.

How well might this set up work with khakis and a tucked dress shirt? I'm thinking the clip could go behind your belt and the holster appears to allow some tucking of theshirt around it. My application would be a j-frame. Orion, do you think the casual carry or AIWB-specific j-frame holster be better of this sort of application?

It's doable, there is about 2" to stuff the shirt into. If a tuckable model was needed I could probably make a different mounting option that uses velcro.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

This will now be accompanying me on my runs a long with my strider HAK.

IMG_2881 by SiDave, on Flickr
    Chemist.

User Tag List