Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing XS Big Dots on my M&P9

Replacing XS Big Dots on my M&P9

I'm new to this forum, so I'll start out by saying "hello". So, well, hello.

I'm a relatively new shooter (started shooting roughly 3-4 years ago) and (as of yet) have not had any formal training apart from a CPL class. I do, however, have a ridiculous tendency to research the crap out of things. I don't have a shot timer so I don't know what my split times, but I'll eventually look into getting one when I have some extra cash laying around.

All that aside, I bought into the whole XS Big Dots concept. After doing some shooting with them in various situations and distances I've come to very similar conclusions that Todd has regarding them. They're not bad sights and they work well for their intended purpose, but I've found that they do hinder more than help. I have decent eyesight (20/40 uncorrected, 20/15 corrected) so I don't have issues seeing my sights regardless of whether or not I have my glasses on. I've found that while I can make all the same shots with XS sights, it takes me considerably more time to make precision distance shots than it does with a N&P setup. Given this, I have determined that it would behoove me, as a responsible shooter, to replace the sights with another set of a N&P variety in order to unhinder my improvement. Again, it's not that I don't like the Big Dots, but I think that I could take my skills further by moving back to a N&P setup for as long as my eyesight will allow me to use that setup.

This brings me to the choice of which sight to move to. I would consider myself fairly agnostic in what sights I want (which doesn't exactly help) which stems from the fact that I've worked on improving my fundamentals and skill rather than become hardware dependent. However, there are a few things that I'm considering moving forward.

- Sights that have a decent shelf on the rear sight for one-handed work.
    - Sights that have tritium in the rear and front.
    - Sights that are metal (duh).

Nice to have things are of the following:

- Decent amount of light bars around the front sight (something of a ratio of .125 front and .150 rear, doesn't have to be exactly that, but I'd prefer to have a little more room to play than not)
    - Cost effective (something that seems to be somewhat problematic of M&P pistols)
    - Prefer to have a 3-dot setup, but not entirely opposed to a 2-dot setup.
    - Prefer to have a u-notch rear rather than a squared rear notch.

That said, and after doing some fairly extensive research, I've come to favor the Warren Tactical 3-dot setup for possibly purchasing it. I figured that, after having done a fair bit of research here, I would ask and see if anyone else had any other suggestions that I may have overlooked. A good bit of you seem to approach these things in a similar fashion that I do, so that further precipitated to me joining here.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to the banter.

I have used Big Dots and currently use Trijicon HDs. I find the HDs are even easier to find the front sight than XS Big Dots. I'd highly recommend looking into them. Also, I noticed you said CPL. If you're in Michigan, I'd highly recommend looking into taking classes with MDFI. All their classes are great. YSINTG is a perfect class to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    I have used Big Dots and currently use Trijicon HDs. I find the HDs are even easier to find the front sight than XS Big Dots. I'd highly recommend looking into them. Also, I noticed you said CPL. If you're in Michigan, I'd highly recommend looking into taking classes with MDFI. All their classes are great. YSINTG is a perfect class to start with.
    I worked hard on using BigDots for a few years with their shallow V rear and with Warren square notch rears and found the Trijicon HDs to offer everything the BDs did with vastly better precision for tight shots or long shot.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks for the replies so far, I appreciate it.

xmanchockey7 - I've heard of MDFI and have heard good things. I'll have to take a more serious look at them as I'd love to get into some actual training.

I have looked into Trijicon HD sights. They seem to offer pretty much everything I'm looking for (easy to find front sight, rear ledge for one-handed work, u-notch rear, serrated rear, 3 dots of tritium). The ONLY issue I have with them is the fact that they're so bloody expensive for the M&P ($158 before shipping online/$169 installed at an LGS near me). Warren Tactical 3-dots can be had for around $130, I can install them myself, and offer a thinner front sight. I've shot them once before, but it's been a little bit, but I do remember liking them.

Does anyone know if Trijicon offers re-lamping on Warren sights? If not, is there such a company that offers re-lamping services? This could potentially factor into the overall cost.

Welcome.

My experience with Trijicon HDs on my M&P Full Size 9mm was not positive.

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-w...ck-sights.html

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....M-amp-P-Sights

I think the heights Trij uses for the M&P were wayyy different than stock.

Oddly, the heights of the Trij HD sights on my VP9 are almost identical to stock, and it shoots to POA.
    Last edited by RJ; 10-13-2015 at 12:27 PM.

Sorry, forgot to add:

I put the stock rear back on the M&P, and installed a 10 8 FO front. I also blacked out the rear with candle black. Gun shoots back at POA now.

What is your major shooting goal for the sights? Range? Competition? Home defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Sorry, forgot to add:

I put the stock rear back on the M&P, and installed a 10 8 FO front. I also blacked out the rear with candle black. Gun shoots back at POA now.

What is your major shooting goal for the sights? Range? Competition? Home defense?
    I guess I should have specified. This gun is my primary home defense sidearm and will also be primary concealed carry once I find a holster that works for me. I don't currently have any aspirations for competition, but that doesn't necessarily mean I eventually won't.

I have considered the 10-8 FO front w/10-8 rear. I love the sight picture. The problem that I have with that though is the lack of tritium. I've done Todd's lighting test around my domicile and I've drawn similar conclusions to what he has regarding similar lighting situations. My eyes dictate that I need tritium in the front and rear in order to have an accurate sight picture in ANY lighting condition. If it weren't for that, I would have gone with that set and been done with it.

And yes, based on dimensions, the Trijicon HD sights are of a different height for sure. However I'd have to say that you're the only person I've ever heard of that has had that particular issue. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it's peculiar. Something I'll be mindful of if I end up going that route.
    Last edited by spinmove_; 10-13-2015 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    I guess I should have specified. This gun is my primary home defense sidearm and will also be primary concealed carry once I find a holster that works for me. I don't currently have any aspirations for competition, but that doesn't necessarily mean I eventually won't.

I have considered the 10-8 FO front w/10-8 rear. I love the sight picture. The problem that I have with that though is the lack of tritium. I've done Todd's lighting test around my domicile and I've drawn similar conclusions to what he has regarding similar lighting situations. My eyes dictate that I need tritium in the front and rear in order to have an accurate sight picture in ANY lighting condition. If it weren't for that, I would have gone with that set and been done with it.

And yes, based on dimensions, the Trijicon HD sights are of a different height for sure. However I'd have to say that you're the only person I've ever heard of that has had that particular issue. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it's peculiar. Something I'll be miwndful of if I end up going that route.
    Cool. I gotcha on the Trij's but so far no one can argue with the trigonometry. Being how the HDs for the VP9 are at stock heights, I really don't know what Trij was thinking.

If you are anywhere near Tampa, and wanted to see/shoot my M&P with the FO, let me know, but sounds like you'd be happy with the Trijs.

Good luck either way.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    I like TruGlo TFOs, with yellow rears and a green front. They have had some durability issues, and they make one-handed manipulations a bitch, but their visibility in bright light and in the dark works well for me. They're $72 on Amazon, and worth an experiment in my opinion.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Oils and Lotions SME
    I have been through quite a number of sights on my M&Ps, the only sights I have used that regulated where I wanted them are the factory night sights. The Warrens, Ameriglows (in my experience) and the Trijicon HDs (according to the LE rep from Trijicon) were all POA/POI at about 12 yards or so. I prefer sights regulated to hit at or near 25 yards.
    Hokey religions and ancient lubricants are no match for a good Group IV PAO

Owner 360 Performance Shooting

User Tag List