Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Star Gear AIWB (Casual Carry)

Dark Star Gear AIWB (Casual Carry)

I need to be able to put on and take off a lightweight gun several times a day while wearing surf bum attire so I dropped a line to Tom at Dark Star Gear to see what we could come up with. I really liked the S&W J-frame AIWB design of his and wanted to incorporate that into my ideas along with utilizing a reliable, secure, easy to don clip which he happened to have a few of. If it looks familiar it’s the same type of clip utilized by Tracker Dan and Kyle Defoor on several of their sheath and holster designs.

I spend a lot of time in board shorts in the summer time around the house and want to have a gun on my person. For one, it’s blazing hot in Vegas and less clothes means less A/C bill. Secondly, I’m in the pool with my lil’ guy several times a day to swim and cool off and don’t want to change 5X a day. Along with that I make frequent trips out to the Mexican market down the street for carne asada on the weekends, beer runs, etc. and having to put on street clothes and strap on my normal CCW rig (G19) after being in the pool is a pain in the butt.

Also, and this could be just my limited perception, but when someone sees a person in board shorts, Chuck Taylors and a t-shirt they hardly think of someone as being armed and vigilant. It doesn’t fit the stereotype, or the clothing, and it’s just not an easy task with what’s presently available on the market, for my tastes anyway.

The holster is molded perfectly and Tom incorporated a tensioning screw as well. Out of the box I tested the holster and about ripped my britches up around my ears so a lil’ loosening and it works like a champ now. I've been testing the holster and after about 100 presentations I haven't had the holster release from my britches. Occasionally there's a slight upward movement, less than 1/2", but this is to be expected running sans belt and the clip design. There’s also a second set of mounting holes to lower the holster, which I will be testing out later this week.

Due to Larry’s “man the *bleep* up” and quit stuffing your face thread I need some new shorts in a 34, that's the reason for the low-rise shorts, not the weight of the gun. The butt of the gun should be snugged up a little more after that. Although, it’s definitely in the acceptable range as is.

Really, it all boils down to having a gun on me when I want to be lounging on the couch, out by the pool and running quickie errands with a t-shirt on. I’ve tested the holster in “track pants” and basketball shorts as well and the holster works exactly as was intended. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend DSG or this particular holster if it’ll fill a niche in your wardrobe accessory pile.

I am very impressed with the craftsmanship, quality of materials and Tom’s fantastic email correspondence and customer service. Enough bull… Here are some quickie iPhone pictures.

That looks really good. I've been bugging Tom for a while about something similar for bigger guns, since I need to arm and disarm frequently myself.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    That looks really good. I've been bugging Tom for a while about something similar for bigger guns, since I need to arm and disarm frequently myself.
    This application is what I've found the FIST #1 kydex clip model so useful for. But while I like their glock renditions, I did not find their j frame version useable. This DS holster looks outstanding.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Site Supporter
    That does look like a nice solution. I wonder if he could do something similar for the Shield. I assume you need shorts or pants with a drawstring or similar to keep the weight of the gun from pulling your pants down around your ankles. Is that correct?

Very nice.
    If I didn't already have a Raven VG2 coming for my J-frame I'd give this a try.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I heard from a little bird that he's working on something similar for larger guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    This DS holster looks outstanding.
    So far, very impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    That does look like a nice solution. I wonder if he could do something similar for the Shield. I assume you need shorts or pants with a drawstring or similar to keep the weight of the gun from pulling your pants down around your ankles. Is that correct?
    For board shorts/MMA style shorts it's a non-issue since they tighten with a string anyway. However, depending on how tight the elastic is on say, track pants, then you may need to snug them a little. I'm wearing the gun/holster combo now with track pants and haven't adjusted the drawstring from how I'd normally wear them with no issues. The holster weighs nothing and the gun's light enough wear it's not a big issue in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Very nice.
    If I didn't already have a Raven VG2 coming for my J-frame I'd give this a try.
    I have the VG2 as well. Little different application since the VG2 must use a belt and this was purposefully designed to not use a belt, although it works great with one as well.

Very interesting. Do you find the corner under the clip digging into you while seated?

Quote Originally Posted by linkscoach View Post
    Very interesting. Do you find the corner under the clip digging into you while seated?
    Nope. It's slightly more toward center versus my G19 AIWB in a Shaggy but that's the nature of the beast. Here's a better picture of the tuck feature/stand off and the corner.

I'd be very interested in getting one for my Glock 26.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I...have a Raven VG2 coming for my J-frame...
    Is this in beta testing?

(It's not on their website.)

User Tag List