Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA is really, really just a game now

IDPA is really, really just a game now

So, at the 2013 IDPA Nationals, there was a stage that had humanoid vision barriers that represented bystanders at a rodeo. The best way to shoot the stage was to shoot through one or more of these vision barriers to hit threat targets.

On Gun Nuts, I posted that this pretty much puts the last nail of the coffin of IDPA being anything but a game. For the record, I'm totally fine with that, because I like games.

Here's the stage video to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

So what do you think? I don't really have a problem with it, but it is interesting to me that the "best" course of action simulated doing something that would get you arrested most rickey-tick.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    From a pure marketing perspective, as IDPA becomes more and more of a game, then what is to differentiate it from all the other gun games other than a "shoot me vest"?

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    From a pure marketing perspective, as IDPA becomes more and more of a game, then what is to differentiate it from all the other gun games other than a "shoot me vest"?
    That it's the sport where for the most part you can actually use your carry gear and be competitive. For the most part, mind you. Because AIWB is awesome.

We are diminished
    Why in the world wouldn't they have made them all no-shoots? Oh, there's a rule against having too many no-shoots in a stage, isn't there? So instead we just designate most innocent bystanders as "score neutral."

Awesome stage to get videotaped and used by MSNBC the next time they talk about gun control.

Seriously, if games just want "thing you can shoot for score" and "thing you're penalized for hitting" targets, please stop making them look humanoid. If your game is that happily divorced from self-defense, why hold on to the concept of shooting at people?

Having said all that, I've always thought the single biggest thing that IDPA could do to improve membership is to convince USPSA to start using the IPSC amoeba (called "classic") target instead of the classic (called "metric") humanoid target.

IDPA never penalized hits on non-threats enough to begin with. Now using them as non-scoring vision barriers just ups the silly.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    So instead we just designate most innocent bystanders as "score neutral."
    I... I just...

Insert a whole paragraph full of variations on the word "kitten" here:
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

All I really noticed was that Caleb's reloads look a bit slower than Jerry's...

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    All I really noticed was that Caleb's reloads look a bit slower than Jerry's...
    Jerry's using one of those cheater moonclip guns ;-)

And he has a bit more practice.

There are plenty of IDPA COF that are not realistic. But to put IDPA shooting on the level of being "just a game" seems to infer that it has no value to those who carry...or is teaching people the wrong things.

While I agree that IDPA is not training, and certainly not "tactical training" like those that are professionals (LE, SecSvc, FBI, SWAT, etc.), it does help the average person practice gun-handling, learn how to run their gun reliably, learn where their weaknesses are, and what their strengths are. It forces you to use cover, draw from concealment, emphasizes accuracy and speed, lets you practice how to shoot while moving, and at moving targets. It forces you muzzle control, finger discipline, and safe operations.

The average IDPA Joe/Jane can go to a local club match for $3-25 1-2 times monthly in most areas and participate and compete in a match. The competition challenges people to improve. The match allows the average Joe/Jane to practice in a dynamic environment and forces basic use of cover/concealment/moving, etc.

Would we all like to go to professional training's that cost $150-$750/day plus ammo, travel, etc. to get professional training? You Betcha!!!

Can we afford to?....Most of us can't afford to do that very often, and for some, not at all.

So, I reject the idea that IDPA is "just a game." In order to make it competitive, it has to have rules that are practical to apply by the average Safety Officer, too. And, the COF has to be challenging to the average and the master shooter. This is hard to do.

Until you get to simmunitions training, we are all practicing with cardboard targets anyway. So, give us a break!!!

I encourage people to compete in any action shooting sport because it takes a person who can barely shoot safely at an indoor range to an adequate gun-handler thereby improving safety, marksmanship, shooting under pressure, while moving, using cover, drawing from concealment, etc.

IDPA is a game to make it competitive, but it is also a great way to learn and practice the fundamentals.

I also want to add that IDPA is fun and it gives me an opportunity to travel to many different cities and locations and meet a lot of different people, sometimes famous people. It gets me out of the house and outside and doing a fun and challenging activity that forces me to engage every part of my mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual self.

IDPA is not perfect, but for the average Joe/Jane, it is a great value and great practice and a good time.

CC
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    There are plenty of IDPA COF that are not realistic. But to put IDPA shooting on the level of being "just a game" seems to infer that it has no value to those who carry...or is teaching people the wrong things.
    I did not say that it wasn't teaching people valuable gunhandling skills or that it had no benefit to CCW. In fact, if you'd read the linked post, you would have found this:

For the record, I love IDPA – I think it’s a great game, and will help build good gunhandling skills that could be useful in a defensive situation. However, I have long maintained that IDPA does not in any way teach tactics, and this stage is a perfect example.
    USPSA, Steel Challenge, and Bianchi Cup will also teach you good shooting fundamentals. They are "just games" too. Or sports, as it were. MMA fighting is "just a game" but you don't see me running out to pick a fight with those guys because their skills don't apply in the street.

The point I'm trying to make is that within IDPA, there is a certain segment of shooters that insists that the game teaches you valuable defensive skills beyond the gunhandling/manipulation skills we've already discussed. My contention is that it doesn't, and it's silly to think that it does.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Jerry's using one of those cheater moonclip guns ;-)

And he has a bit more practice.
    Excuses, excuses...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List