Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: This has to be Rand Paul's presidential bid op-ed....

This has to be Rand Paul's presidential bid op-ed....

I'm sure some of you have already read this, but this is some damn fine work and the work an American president should be doing right now.

America’s exceptionalism is rooted in our founding documents and values. From the rights granted by our creator, but guaranteed by our Constitution. We should not shy away from saying so, especially when our actions are in keeping with this exceptional founding, as they were this week in our debate over going to war in Syria. Our constitutional checks and balances were on full display, largely resulting in the at least temporary halting of a rush to war.

Read more: http://ideas.time.com/2013/09/13/sen...#ixzz2enVhBzn8
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Bravo!!!

I am a product of the exceptionalism that is America and the horrors that are the past 100 years of Russian history. While I will give credit to Mr Putin for several things, I too took exception to his remarks about America. Rand Paul's response is frankly how you deal with a man like Putin. How can a man like Putin have any respect for a leader of a country that doesn't believe in the exceptionalism of his people and who travels the work apologizing for them.

Site Supporter
    It'll be interesting to see who decides to run in 2016.

Can Paul beat Cruz in the primaries? Does Cruz even have a prayer (pun intended) with "establishment Republican voters"?

Seems Paul would be the more palatable candidate to win over center-leaning and disillusioned Dems.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

Can Paul beat Cruz in the primaries? Does Cruz even have a prayer (pun intended) with "establishment Republican voters"?

Seems Paul would be the more palatable candidate to win over center-leaning and disillusioned Dems.
    While I love pretty much everything coming out of the mouth of Cruz, my concern is this: isn't his wife a current/former lobbyist for Goldman/Sachs?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    While I love pretty much everything coming out of the mouth of Cruz, my concern is this: isn't his wife a current/former lobbyist for Goldman/Sachs?
    According to Wiki:
    Cruz's wife is currently head of the Southwest Region in the Investment Management Division of Goldman, Sachs & Co. and previously worked in the White House for Condoleezza Rice and in New York as an investment banker.
    And her Bio at Houston.org: http://www.houston.org/about/board-s...l#board/212727

Until you asked, I didn't realize he was married to such a heavyweight.
    As for her being a liability, I'd say certainly no more so than Hillary was to Bill. Although the media won't be giving Mrs Cruz a pass.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

According to Wiki:

And her Bio at Houston.org: http://www.houston.org/about/board-s...l#board/212727

Until you asked, I didn't realize he was married to such a heavyweight.
    As for her being a liability, I'd say certainly no more so than Hillary was to Bill. Although the media won't be giving Mrs Cruz a pass.
    Well, I'm not at all suggesting that he/she are anywhere on the level of depravity as Bill and Hillary are. I just am of the belief that Wall Street banks have had far too much influence in US politics.

Right on point!

Do either Cruz or Paul even have a prayer (pun intended) with "establishment Republican voters"?
    Although the media won't be giving either Cruz or Paul a pass.
    FIFY.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    http://m.nationalreview.com/article/...rael-rand-paul

The Obama administration responded with its condolences to the families and to the state of Israel, as well it should have. But it also called, as it always does in situations like this, for restraint on the part of Israel.

How many times must Israel hear this call? Children are murdered — please show restraint. Cafés and buses are bombed — please show restraint. Towns are victimized by hundreds of rockets — please show restraint while you bury your dead once again.

I think it is clear by now: Israel has shown remarkable restraint. It possesses a military with clear superiority over that of its Palestinian neighbors, yet it does not respond to threat after threat, provocation after provocation, with the type of force that would decisively end their conflict.

But sometimes restraint can work against you. Sometimes you just have to say, enough is enough.

I call for all aid to the Palestinian Authority — every penny — to be cut off. Not one more U.S. taxpayer dollar should flow to Hamas or to the Palestinian Authority as long as it is allied with Hamas.

Some say my position is too hard-line, too strong. To them I say, how many more children must die before it is acceptable to cut off the flow of money to terrorists?
    Rand The Hawk.
    Scored a few points with this one, IMO
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 07-04-2014 at 11:48 PM.

I like many of their ideas (Lee, Cruz, and Paul) but neither has very much experience actually running a large organization. Ideology is only half the battle with the other half being the ability to herd the cats that make up Congress. I'm curious to see what the GOP can pull from its bag of governors.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

User Tag List