Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 Shot Leather SME (no pics)

5 Shot Leather SME (no pics)

Rec'd #81, formed for a Sig P220ST, on 7/1/13 (ordered in April). All comms with John were outstanding (professional and informative). After a couple days of a 220ST double bagged and periodically withdrawn 1/4" as advised by John, the SME was ready for drills. I have to admit I thought the SME looked thick upon first viewing. I wonder if horse hide would be thinner and/or more comfortable...?

After hours of drills and presentations, the SME was ready for wear and live shoots (to include qualifications) with a personally owned duty P220. Qualified with numerous scores in the high 90s (60 round qualifier, drawn from concealment) but more importantly the execution "felt" very efficient, all from concealment (initially with a vest and then in the suit.) Subjectively, I felt faster with the SME. With shoulder injuries hampering my range of movement, drawing is much improved and painless over conventional carry.

After quals, I carried the P220 in the SME regularly/daily. After 18 years of concealed carry, my back really appreciates the SME. Over the last year using OWB or conventional IWB, I found myself removing my firearm/holster repeatedly throughout the day. Definitely not the case with the SME. I find the SME to be my most comfortable holster, wearing up to 18 hours straight. Great for long drives. At a family event when a camera was left behind necessitated my running to the car and back (well over a half mile total) for ceremonies, the SME/P220 combo was great. Any other method would have sucked. I've since relegated my Glock 27 from family/weekend duty to the safe. Additionally, on weekends, placement and design make carrying the P220ST a pleasure; makes for a great "BBQ gun."

The SME works very well for me to the extent I don't see myself going back to conventional OWB or IWB. If you can, try one on first. The SME is expensive but for me, well worth it. Thanks to John for his professionalism and a quality holster.
    Thanks to Todd Green, John and members of the pistol-forum for going through the growing pains of R and D. And "Yes" I'm wearing the SME with the P220 as I typed this post.

Semper Fi
    Madmatt

Pics? I've often thought about carrying my proof marked P220 AIWB.

It is truely a great holster
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Nice writeup - I find a P220 pretty comfortable to carry in the SME as well.

Madmatt,

Based on your order date, you are in the 3rd run of SME's? I put my order in around the same time. Has anyone else gotten their order from the third run? John, do you have any public service updates? The anticipation is killing me.

RobG,
    Actually, I submitted my email order form during the second run, forgot which month. In April, John and I discussed the final details of my order, formed for a 220ST, split belt loops and size, etc.
    I got anxious too; well worth the wait though. I wish the SME had been around 10-15 years earlier.

Semper Fi
    Madmatt

Nothing from the 3rd run has started shipping. I got really backed up when I was out with Pneumonia, so things are a bit delayed, but they will start shipping soon.

Thanks for the update John. Thought this might be the beginning of the 3rd run.....I have that 'kid before Christmas' feeling waiting for this holster.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Thanks for the update John. Thought this might be the beginning of the 3rd run.....I have that 'kid before Christmas' feeling waiting for this holster.
    It really is my favorite holster setup. Cant wait to get my hands on a couple more

Do any of y'all with a SME have a keeper as well? If so, how do they compare?

User Tag List