Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LA County selects M&P 9mm

Site Supporter
    LASD authorized the M&P 9's as an optional personally Owned Weapon ( POW) and then pulled them in 2009. My undertanding was they had issued them to one or two recruit classes in 2009 and had issues as detailed below. Apparently they were satisfied it was simply a bad batch as LASD subsequently re-authorized the M&P 9 as a POW option in 2010.

SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT BROADCASTANNOUNCEMENT TRAINING BUREAU
    WEAPONS TRAINING
    TO: ALL CONCERNED PERSONNEL

SUBJECT: OFFICER SAFETY ALERT – SMITH & WESSON M&P PISTOLS

RECENT DEVELOPMENTS HAVE FORCED A DEPARTMENTAL RE-EVALUATION OF THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOL AS AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL HANDGUN FOR SWORN PERSONNEL.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P FULL SIZE PISTOL IS NO LONGER AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL ON-DUTY PISTOL.

EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY, THE SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P COMPACT PISTOL IS NO LONGER AN AUTHORIZED OPTIONAL OFF-DUTY PISTOL.

SINCE FIRST APPROVAL AS AN OPTIONAL PISTOL ON DECEMBER 10, 2008, THE FULL-SIZED AND/OR COMPACT VERSIONS OF THE 9MM SMITH & WESSON M&P PISTOL HAVE BEEN DEPLOYED BY 49 SWORN PERSONNEL ON AND OFF DUTY. ONE OF THESE PISTOLS WAS DELIVERED NEW WITH AN IMPROPERLY MACHINED BARREL THAT WOULD NOT EJECT SPENT CARTRIDGE CASINGS. ANOTHER OF THESE PISTOLS EXPERIENCED A BARREL FAILURE IN MID-APRIL OF THIS YEAR. AFTER FIRING LESS THAN 10,000 ROUNDS OF TRAINING AMMUNITION. THIS PISTOL BARREL BROKE INTO TWO PIECES JUST AHEAD OF THE FIRING CHAMBER.

ADDITIONALLY, A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF DEPUTY ACADEMY CLASS #XXX RECRUITS WITH ISSUED NEW SMITH & WESSON 9MM M&P FULL-SIZE PISTOLS HAVE EXPERIENCED PHASE-2 PISTOL MALFUNCTIONS, CAUSED BY SPENT CASINGS FAILING TO EXTRACT FROM BARREL CHAMBERS, DURING THE PAST TWO WEEKS OF TRAINING. CLASS #XXX RECRUITS WILL BE ISSUED BERETTA 92FS PISTOLS ON WEDNESDAY APRIL 29, 2009, AND THEIR M&P PISTOLS REMOVED FROM SERVICE.

PERSONNEL SAFETY AND RELIABLE EQUIPMENT REMAIN OUR PRIMARY CONCERNS.

DIRECT ANY QUESTIONS (removed for PERSEC) AT THE B.C. RANGE.

There was MUCH more to that story than listed--much of it NOT the fault of S&W....
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    There was MUCH more to that story than listed--much of it NOT the fault of S&W....
    Well what is the issue than. If it is confidential than why bait us with tidbits.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    Well what is the issue than. If it is confidential than why bait us with tidbits.

Good for S&W! Bad for us who want mags

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Somehow the mag shortage slipped below my radar. The "CLIPS!" Guy at the Indy 1500 last weekend had two... for ninety-nine bucks apiece.

If I'd known that, I'd have gone back and looked for that mag I lost on stage one at M3GI...
    When I lived in IN. I paid that guy 200 bucks for a 2- 12rd P229 during the ban.

I bought Walther P99 16 round mags at the height of the AWB and the Clinton war on guns.
    They were literally worth their weight in gold.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

No baiting--there was a multi-page discussion of what occurred over at the old 10-8 forums back in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    No baiting--there was a multi-page discussion of what occurred over at the old 10-8 forums back in 2009.
    I think I remember it. Barrel broke but investigation revealed user performed extreme self 'smithing of the barrel itself - IIRC something crazy like that.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Deputy with a Dremel, among other things IIRC.

Academy story:

A cadet gets issued a pistol. He shows up at the range. The pistol wouldn't even pattern much less group. An instructor disassembles the pistol and notices that things are not as they should be. The instructor questions the cadet about the status of the pistol.

It seems the cadet took the pistol apart. He noticed "scratches" in the barrel. He tried running a brush through the barrel, but he couldn't buff out the "scratches". So, the cadet secures the barrel in a drill press and runs a large bit through it a few times.

It worked too. There were no more "scratches" in the barrel when it was done. In fact, it was smooth and shiny.

---

Never underestimate to combination of ignorance and power tools.

User Tag List