Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you Train for Reality?

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
    Please define "...a well regulated militia..."
    "Racists"?

(Sorry, I listened to NPR today. It gets in your head.)
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Not war belts and multicam at classes 1-3x a year.
    #RESIST

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Not war belts and multicam at classes 1-3x a year.
    Unless they're going to those 1-3 classes with the same ten guys from the neighborhood every year. Given actual expenditures of ball and shot, that probably gives them a leg up on the residents of late 18th Century suburban Boston in the marksmanship department, if not close-order drill.

For preference, though, I'd make sure I was getting my CQB Team Tactics Fantasy Camp from a real ex-MLBer and not a Rotisserie League player.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by ed l View Post
    What works with a small group of friends who are experienced shooters doesn't always translate into a larger formal class with unfamiliar attendees of unknown skill levels.
    Todd responded:

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I wouldn't attend a class that required me to dumb down my gear for the sake of lowest common denominator.
    What I meant is that if you have a small group of experienced guys who know each other, some things are not a big deal that might be an issue in a formal class. For example, shooters leaving the line whenever they wanted to top off mags and then returning.

Site Supporter
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason - Co-author of the Second Amendment during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Last edited by Bigguy; 08-24-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    If I may ask, why do guys who have no LE or .mil purpose take classes that require battle rigs, drop leg holsters, and AR's, or what I call 'Warrior Fantasy Camp?' Train for the fight you are most likely to experience rather than what you experience in your wildest fantasies.

Excellent topic, OP.
    Because I believe that self defense and self preservation is an individual's responsibility and obligation to society. Don't get me wrong, I train daily in empty hand and regularly with what I carry but I find comfort in the fact that I know how to run an AR hard if necessary.

I had a conversation with Sean about plates awhile ago, and mentioned that I was wanting to pick a set up. He kind of asked me why, I'm pretty sure waiting for me to say the usual stupid blah blah tangos to my 12 and my 6 etc...

Because I don't know who's standing next to me on the line at a rifle course and I'd like to have something between me and the ND that catches me between the shoulder blades when I'm not looking. If/when I end up with armor it would be to protect from that. I'll still have my Duluth Trading co cargo pants with flip-flops on. When I'm not wearing it to shoot with unknown people at a rifle class then I'll leave it with my rifle. If I have time to get it on should the need arise, groovy. If not, eh...

Getting some soft armor fitted for pistol classes is on my list as well. At this point I'm hitting enough of them that it wouldn't be a terrible idea, and I'm seeing more stupid things happen as I shoot more places.

That's pretty much the only reason I WANT armor or would take classes wearing it.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Why wouldn't I use my CCW gun?
    This is a good juncture to expound on something.

Most of us on this forum are,shall we say, a little different from your typical unwashed gun owner.I am light years away from Rob Leathams capabilities, and yet at the public range there is an audience watching me shoot!

The average American gun owner -if they carry at all-buys a gun based on a foggy combination of peer pressure and hype.Training?Four Commandments of Safety? Nope.They buy a pistol, stick it some place based on a Hollywood action movie made by an anti gun director ,and call it good.Most police officers aren't much better-extra training for patrol officers is secondary to the "Domestic Violence Awareness PowerPoint",natch.

Training for folks like us is incomprehensible to 90% of our fellow gun shop and range brethren.As such,the instructors today have to walk a fine line between "practical" and "rule of cool".Too much practical, and Bubba-who REALLY needs to be there-is lost .Too much rule of cool means you learn advanced skills with no bearing on your daily life.A rifle-to-pistol transition technique is useless to someone carrying a .380 in a corporate NPE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks2112 View Post
    I had a conversation with Sean about plates awhile ago, and mentioned that I was wanting to pick a set up. He kind of asked me why, I'm pretty sure waiting for me to say the usual stupid blah blah tangos to my 12 and my 6 etc...

Because I don't know who's standing next to me on the line at a rifle course and I'd like to have something between me and the ND that catches me between the shoulder blades when I'm not looking. If/when I end up with armor it would be to protect from that. I'll still have my Duluth Trading co cargo pants with flip-flops on. When I'm not wearing it to shoot with unknown people at a rifle class then I'll leave it with my rifle. If I have time to get it on should the need arise, groovy. If not, eh...

Getting some soft armor fitted for pistol classes is on my list as well. At this point I'm hitting enough of them that it wouldn't be a terrible idea, and I'm seeing more stupid things happen as I shoot more places.

That's pretty much the only reason I WANT armor or would take classes wearing it.
    I think the Jimmy class thread run here recently demonstrated that armor in classes is a good idea.

I shoot all classes in my CCW gear. This includes Bill Rogers Intermediate/advanced pistol and Pat Rogers Carbine.
    In the carbine classes I use the same AIWB and mag carriers I CCW. I use a shoulder bag with spare carbine mags and a blowout kit. This is what I am likely to have if I use a carbine. I also put a spare carbine mag in my back pocket and train reloads from both. I've shot multiple Pat Rogers classes with this, no issues. It is a clumsier set up than a chest rig etc....but it is what I would quickly throw on over my CCW gear if I had time. Pick up carbine, throw bag over shoulder, move.
    I'm unlikely to ever be in a situation with time and need to put on a leg holster and plate carrier with mags.
    I have looked at running a plate carrier with a holster mounted to approximately Appendix so as to have commonality with my CCW gear if I was to use a carrier/chest rack.

User Tag List