Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AIWB and Corrosion

AIWB and Corrosion

I was wondering if there was any significant corrosion issues caused by AIWB carry. I have some anecdotal reasons why I think this might be the case, how ever if this were really an issue I would expect to see more people talking about it.

When I bought my first J frame revolver (used) the gunsmith said it was heavily corroded on the inside though the outside was flawless.

There was a story of Jim Cirrillo's where he had a small pistol that corroded from AIWB carry (Turned out to be a Nazi pistol of no small historical significance but probably not relevant to modern pistols)

More sweat around your gut/crotch area. Is that the theory?

We are diminished
    Barring a bad case of incontinence I can't see how aiwb would be worse than iwb.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    Is that from one day or many? I make it a point to wipe my carry weapon down at the end of the day during warmer months.

The sear housing assembly pin on my M&P has some oxidation on the left side (where the frame presses against my skin), but other than that no corrosion to speak of.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthNarc View Post
    I'm comfortable sitting on the couch in my boxers fiddling with my balls, but I don't fight like that.

I've been rusting decockers/slide releases/triggers like it was nobodies business lately. Just switched to Bill's wonder finish so we'll see how that works out.
    Last edited by Sparks2112; 08-07-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    Is that from one day or many? I make it a point to wipe my carry weapon down at the end of the day during warmer months.
    14 months of profuse pot-belly perspiration and one 32oz Coke spill.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    14 months of profuse pot-belly perspiration and one 32oz Coke spill.
    Leather holster or kydex?

The only time I've had substantial corrosion on a pistol was after spending two days on the range in the rain wearing a leather holster. The leather absorbed moisture and I left the gun in there for almost a week without any attempt to dry out the holster or the gun. It created a small amount of surface corrosion on an M&P9.

I can get rust on sights if I don't wipe them down at the end of the day. That is why I have recently switched to melonited sights.

User Tag List