Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: NJ-friendly HD shotgun?

Would it be possible to chop the barrel and then get screw in chokes installed? I have seen this done in the past with Rem 870s.

While it might be theoretically possible, looking at the rib design it sure looks like it would be a lot of work. Cutting the barrel to 18, would leave no support for the rib at the muzzle. 14 inches looks like it would just work and be flush with the end cap on magazine tube. No idea whether the gas system would have to be retuned for shorter barrel lengths.

As I said before, I hope this shotgun takes off and Beretta supports it with options like shorter barrels.

Beretta 1301 update -- I finally got to shoot mine today. I received the Beretta optics rail from Brownell's, screwed it on, dropped a T1 on, with no attempt to bore sight or otherwise zero it. I shot it at 25 yards, which is the distance I zero my slugs for bear defense, and fired five slugs. They went into one large cloverleaf, perfect in elevation but one inch right of the dot. Three clicks left on the T1, and zeroed. About the most painless zeroing I have ever had. Recoil was very modest, and using my calibrated measuring device (my shoulder), felt recoil seemed about 50 percent of the Benelli M2. Next I shot the only birdshot I had, some very lower power economy loads, and they didn't reliably run. When they did, ringing the steel was a delight. While it is early in the evaluation process, so far I really like it.

A large agency here had 1201's--they SUCKED.

The Remington Versamax is nice--so far working much better than the 11-87.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    A large agency here had 1201's--they SUCKED.

The Remington Versamax is nice--so far working much better than the 11-87.
    Not suggesting you are implying a connection, but the 1201 was a completely different beast. The 1201 was inertial operated, more akin to a Benelli, where the TX Storm and 1301 are gas operated, and mechanically similar to other Beretta gas operated shotguns. The value of TX Storm shotguns, now discontinued by Beretta, is going crazy high when they can be found at all, by people who understand how good they are.

Site Supporter
    I would not recommend birdshot as suggested by RSA-OTC.

Dick Cheney shot a senior citizen with birdshot in the face, he lived.

In Spartanburg (next city over) a guy shot another guy with birdshot and the dude beat the crap out of him.

This is patently horrible advice that is repeated again and again and again.

Buckshot penetrates just as deeply as FMJ pistol rounds. Perhaps 9mm as 000 Buck.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    I would not recommend birdshot as suggested by RSA-OTC.

Dick Cheney shot a senior citizen with birdshot in the face, he lived.

In Spartanburg (next city over) a guy shot another guy with birdshot and the dude beat the crap out of him.

This is patently horrible advice that is repeated again and again and again.

Buckshot penetrates just as deeply as FMJ pistol rounds. Perhaps 9mm as 000 Buck.
    Cheney shot Whittington at a distance of 30 to 40 yards not 21 feet or room length distance. At what distance was the altercation in Spartanburg at?

My advise is only for close quarters interior home defense not at greater distances where the shot column has had a chance to disperse.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Cheney shot Whittington at a distance of 30 to 40 yards not 21 feet or room length distance. At what distance was the altercation in Spartanburg at?

My advise is only for close quarters interior home defense not at greater distances where the shot column has had a chance to disperse.
    First of all, I'd like to apologize for the tone I took and way I handled the way I said that earlier.

Point blank in Spartanburg.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/12%20Gau...ummary%20Table

It seems that on bare gelatin you get about 4-6" of penetration. The Average being around 4".

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    It seems that on bare gelatin you get about 4-6" of penetration. The Average being around 4".
    Like frangible handgun bullets, this is one of those things that, when it works just right, works spectacularly right. I've heard tales from police officer friends who were first on the scene after a homeowner with a stack-barrel skeet gun warned the intruder not to come through the door. "Chewed a rat hole" is, I believe, the term that was used. Four to six inches? Take a melon ball scooper and dig a four-to-six-inch-deep, 1" diameter hole between somebody's nipples and see how they feel, because that's what a near-muzzle-contact shot with a choked fowling piece and some Wally World promo 2 3/4" birdshot is likely going to do...

...provided the lightly-clad guy of reasonably average build is just standing there facing the shooter at near-muzzle-contact distance, of course.

On the other hand, that's assuming everything goes right, which is a mighty big assumption to make considering that things have to have already gone wrong to need to grab a long gun in the first place. All variables considered, I'm with you: I don't know I'd necessarily want to go smaller than #4 buck.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I have seen people chopped up at close range with bird shot, and I mean like from ten feet away. One murder victim was missing an arm from being whacked by her ex with #6 duck and pheasant loads.

However, comma, I have also seen several OISs that led to us going from 4buck back to OObuck after we had some pretty serious underpenetration issues.

In one case having to shoot a bad guy wearing a denim jacket through a screened storm door led to all of the #4 buck pellets stopping on the bad guy's rib cage. Ammo in question would be a full power (this was well before low recoil loads hit the market) Remington 27 pellet load from an 18" 870, shot made from the front yard across the porch, maybe ten yards away.

#1 buck is as small as I prefer to go, not that I wouldn't use what I had if forced to do so.

User Tag List