Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ-friendly HD shotgun?

I picked up my new Beretta 1301 today. Trim, nice handling shotgun. Stock has nice texture. Shotgun has a red FO front sight, over sized bolt handle, over sized action release and over sized safety. Loading port appears to be enlarged compared to the TX Storm, to facilitate easier loading. Trigger feels appropriate for a practical shotgun. With the smaller length butt pad, LOP is 13.0 inches. Receiver is drilled for an optic rail. Need to check it, but I believe the stock height will work with an H1/T1. Feels like a high quality shotgun.

Only obvious thing I noticed was no rear sling stud, but there is a rubber piece in that position on the butt stock that I believe can be removed and a stud added.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I picked up my new Beretta 1301 today. Trim, nice handling shotgun. Stock has nice texture. Shotgun has a red FO front sight, over sized bolt handle, over sized action release and over sized safety. Loading port appears to be enlarged compared to the TX Storm, to facilitate easier loading. Trigger feels appropriate for a practical shotgun. With the smaller length butt pad, LOP is 13.0 inches. Receiver is drilled for an optic rail. Need to check it, but I believe the stock height will work with an H1/T1. Feels like a high quality shotgun.

Only obvious thing I noticed was no rear sling stud, but there is a rubber piece in that position on the butt stock that I believe can be removed and a stud added.
    Does it still have the button (don't recall what it's called) that lets you prevent a round from feeding? That seems to be a staple feature on Berettas.

How does the stock compare to your favorable impressions of the Storm's stock?

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    Does it still have the button (don't recall what it's called) that lets you prevent a round from feeding? That seems to be a staple feature on Berettas.

How does the stock compare to your favorable impressions of the Storm's stock?

J.Ja
    Yes, the magazine won't feed a round manually (feeds automatically when fired) without pushing the button located at rear of loading gate.

Stock feels good, but my Storm is about 1,600 miles away from me right now. I set the T1 in a Larue mount loose on top the receiver and it felt as good as it might without having it attached to a rail and firing it.

Yes, the magazine won't feed a round manually (feeds automatically when fired) without pushing the button located at rear of loading gate.

Stock feels good, but my Storm is about 1,600 miles away from me right now. I set the T1 in a Larue mount loose on top the receiver and it felt as good as it might without having it attached to a rail and firing it.
    I'm sold.

The Storm I thought was available turns out to have been a quirk of Internet search tools (found an old, outdated page buried in the bowels of Cabela's). My other shotguns are on Gunbroker right now, and the combined sales price should not only cover the 1301 purchase, but leave a bit extra too.

Thanks again for everyone's input and help!

J.Ja

Short update, I spoke to BerettaUSA today. Rear rubber piece on butt stock can be pried off to accept an AR style QD sling swivel. Optics rail and stock height work best with a T1 in the Aimpoint factory QD mount, which is lower than a Larue. Rail is backordered as of today.

PS: I worked with A Zoom 12 gauge snap caps today, and the opened up loading gate definitely makes loading easier than the Storm.

Short update, I spoke to BerettaUSA today. Rear rubber piece on butt stock can be pried off to accept an AR style QD sling swivel. Optics rail and stock height work best with a T1 in the Aimpoint factory QD mount, which is lower than a Larue. Rail is backordered as of today.

PS: I worked with A Zoom 12 gauge snap caps today, and the opened up loading gate definitely makes loading easier than the Storm.
    Funny enough, I pulled an H1 off one of the shotguns before it went to sale... I already know where it's going.

Brownell's has that rail in stock, for a few dollars cheaper than Beretta: http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...prod40974.aspx

I am trying to order one now, but their system is doing something dumb to me.

J.Ja

No chance of an 18" barrel for the 1301?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    No chance of an 18" barrel for the 1301?
    Not that I see, unless you can get an 18" Storm barrel, I have a very strong suspicion that the 18" Storm barrel will fit based on common parts...

You could chop it, which is fine if you don't mind losing the choke and front sight (which isn't a deal breaker if you put a red dot on). Or maybe chop it to 16.5" or so, and permanently attach a poly choke to it if you really want a choke. They are a bit heavy though. I'm highly considering this route, I may add.

J.Ja

How would you guys compare these to the older Beretta 1201FP? There's a bunch out there for sale, and they're much cheaper. Is the recoil really that much worse with the inertia driven 1201FP?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I think I read in a thread on the Beretta forum that a Storm barrel won't fit. In any event, the sights sit enough higher on the Storm, which has a different stock height, so even if the barrel fit mechanically, and you could get one, I am not sure it would make sense.

I have no experience with the 1201FP, but I have a vague recollection DocGKR telling me they had a bunch, and they didn't run.

Despite my affection for the Storm, for a number of reasons including price, that product wasn't successful in the marketplace. Since Beretta obviously knows a bit about making shotguns, I am hoping the 1301 catches on and becomes the base for a practical/defensive line of shotguns, leading to a 18 and 14 inch model plus a SF fore end.

User Tag List