Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ-friendly HD shotgun?

Site Supporter
    Are Beretta CX4 Storms legal in NJ? They have fixed stocks, nothing on the end of the barrel, and I don't think they meet the legal definition of a pistol grip. I have one, but I haven't shot it very much. I've experienced no problems with it thus far. It seems like a reasonable HD weapon, but I need to shoot it more before I move it from the safe to the bedside.

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    I grew up in NJ (Jackson... went to Rutgers New Brunswick) yet I'm somehow unfamiliar with said "five-finger welcome"... though I do recall the single-finger salute quite well...

I'll be moving to the Cherry Hill/Haddonfield/Moorestown area. Haven't found a place yet.

J.Ja
    Depending on where you land in that area, I'll be only 20 to 30 mins north of you in Roebling between Burlington & Bordentown. Some others on this forum aren't to far away as well.

Not sure what TGS is referring to as well.

Why are you set on a shotgun? It's no easier to operate and even the Federal Low Recoil flite control buckshot is more likely to over penetrate than the 5.56.

If you are set on the shotgun for in the home I would go with Bird Shot. At room length distance it would be like being hit by a slug since the shot column has not dispersed a great deal and yet it would be less likely to go through multiple walls like slugs or OO buck. I have heard of first person accounts of bird shot killing bears at close distances.

If you like the idea of a FN SLP, Winchester has a version that is either a SLP with Winchester Labeling or a clone. I have several shooting buddies that have that gun and use them in 3 gun matches where they use everything from bird shot to slugs and they swear by them. They are the SX2 or SX3, I understand they cost less.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I use the Flite Control 9 pellet 00B load in my A390. I got a hell of a deal on a plain vanilla/plastic furniture A390 a few years back, that was won at a DU Convention in 1986 and put up in a closet. It was like finding a pristine Jap Zero in the jungle...

I made a "dudeshooter" out of it... whacked the barrel to 18.1", cut the stock to fit my T-Rex arms and fitted a Limb Saver pad. The result is one quick-handling HD shotgun; albeit, a capacity-limited one. But I figure if I cannot handle my problem with four rounds of 00B, then it just wasn't my day.

Unfortunately, you cannot "ghost load" a Beretta action; at least, not the 390/391 series. Haven't tried it with the 400.

Do you plan on storing chambered, or un-chambered? If the latter, remember that the shell latches have to be released via the button at the back of the loading port before you can 'rack" one from the magazine tube. Assuming that the Turk copy works the same, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by rsa-otc View Post
    Depending on where you land in that area, I'll be only 20 to 30 mins north of you in Roebling between Burlington & Bordentown. Some others on this forum aren't to far away as well.

Not sure what TGS is referring to as well.

Why are you set on a shotgun? It's no easier to operate and even the Federal Low Recoil flite control buckshot is more likely to over penetrate than the 5.56.

If you are set on the shotgun for in the home I would go with Bird Shot. At room length distance it would be like being hit by a slug since the shot column has not dispersed a great deal and yet it would be less likely to go through multiple walls like slugs or OO buck. I have heard of first person accounts of bird shot killing bears at close distances.

If you like the idea of a FN SLP, Winchester has a version that is either a SLP with Winchester Labeling or a clone. I have several shooting buddies that have that gun and use them in 3 gun matches where they use everything from bird shot to slugs and they swear by them. They are the SX2 or SX3, I understand they cost less.
    The FN SLP, from what I can tell, holds too many rounds, though that may just be FN's confusing Web site. In some places it says "6 + 1" (legal), in others it says "7" (illegal if that's 7 in the mag...), with the difference being if I'm on their "defense" site or their civilian site. I don't see any Winchesters SX3's that seem well suited to the role (magazine capacity, length being issues).

I feel like a 1301 would be a good bet, though I'd be sorely tempted to cut a few inches off. The Tx4 Storm is definitely not easily had, though I did find one for sale at $1,100 new.

In terms of "why shotgun?" Like I said, I have my reasons, they are good reasons, just like there are good reasons for "not shotgun". Some are subjective, some are objective... some are things that one person finds important, some are things that others don't find important. I feel that once the discussion gets to the point where you're comparing "quality AR with red dot" to "quality semi-auto shotgun with red dot", you just are not going to have a universally right answer. It's not like we're asking "KelTec vs. Glock".

In reference to another question, I prefer to store my HD long arms with a round chambered and safety on. I may be re-evaluating that after I move, depending on the layout of the rooms and the storage options.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

jm,

Another Jersey boy here that will 2nd and 3rd talking to TGS and welcome you back home. It's bad in NJ, but not NY bad

Maybe we should get a NJ reunion for all the current and ex-NJ members.

As for the 5 finger wave, I think it's a euphemism for "hi", since it's usually a 1 finger salute in NJ whenever, however and wherever you're driving.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    The FN SLP, from what I can tell, holds too many rounds, though that may just be FN's confusing Web site. In some places it says "6 + 1" (legal), in others it says "7" (illegal if that's 7 in the mag...), with the difference being if I'm on their "defense" site or their civilian site. I don't see any Winchesters SX3's that seem well suited to the role (magazine capacity, length being issues).

J.Ja
    The SLP mag tube can be modified to 6 rounds, AFAIK.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    The SLP mag tube can be modified to 6 rounds, AFAIK.
    Yeah, what it looks like is that they have a 6+1 and an 8+1 model (18" and 22"), and some are reporting that the 6+1 is actually 7+1 with 2 3/4" shells. Either way, it sounds like a problem that can be resolved by making a permanent plug in any number of fashions.

The SLP is about a pound heavier than the 1301, I noticed. I think the 1301 has an aluminum receiver.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Are Beretta CX4 Storms legal in NJ? They have fixed stocks, nothing on the end of the barrel, and I don't think they meet the legal definition of a pistol grip. I have one, but I haven't shot it very much. I've experienced no problems with it thus far. It seems like a reasonable HD weapon, but I need to shoot it more before I move it from the safe to the bedside.
    NJ's definition of a pistol grip is vague. Most people err on the side that a thumbhole stock could be considered one.

Besides, pistol grips are legal in NJ. As are "things on the end of a barrel." The Cx4 is as legal in NJ as in any other state.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    NJ's definition of a pistol grip is vague. Most people err on the side that a thumbhole stock could be considered one.

Besides, pistol grips are legal in NJ. As are "things on the end of a barrel." The Cx4 is as legal in NJ as in any other state.
    Yup! Gotta buddy, that TGS knows, that has it in 9 and 40. And it's their HD gun in lieu of a shotty too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Here are some helpful links for NJ firearms owners from the NJ State Police website:

Attorney General's Guidelines for Substantially Identical with regards to assault weapons restrictions: http://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/assltf.htm

Transportation or use of hollow point ammo by sportsmen: http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_hollow.html

Transportation of a Firearm to or through the state of NJ: http://www.njsp.org/about/fire_trans.html

Downloadable forms: http://www.njsp.org/info/forms.html#firearms

NJ Firearms Laws as described by the AG, truthfully things like time limits on processing are conveniently left out. http://www.njsp.org/info/pdf/firearm...itle13ch54.pdf

You are best going to the actual statutes pertaining to firearms, 2C-39 and 2C-58 here: http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=421979&Depth=4&TD=WRAP&advqu ery=2C%3a39-1%20%20Definitions&headingswithhits=on&infobase=st atutes.nfo&rank=&record={1A38}&softpage=Doc_Frame_ Pg42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=34&y=12&zz=

& here

http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/cgi-bin/om_isapi.dll?clientID=421981&Depth=4&TD=WRAP&advqu ery=2C%3a58-1.%20%20Registration%20of%20manufacturers%20and%20 wholesale%20dealers%20of%20firearms&headingswithhi ts=on&infobase=statutes.nfo&rank=&record={1BA9}&so ftpage=Doc_Frame_Pg42&wordsaroundhits=2&x=34&y=10& zz=
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

User Tag List