Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NJ-friendly HD shotgun?

NJ-friendly HD shotgun?

It looks like I am moving to NJ by the end of the month. Unfortunately, all of my long arms are considered "banned assault weapons" under NJ law, with the exception of my Marlin 336 and a 28" 12 gauge. So, I am looking to get a shotgun for HD purposes. It needs to have a standard field stock. I'm a big fan of red dots and I'm a big fan of semi-auto shotguns (on the principle that my wife may be the one using it and a pump shotgun will likely be a single-shot firearm in her hands under stress). If I was looking at pump guns, I would just get an 870P and it would be done and over.

What are my choices here? Benelli M2/M4? Mossburg 900? Beretta Tx4 Storm? I hear nothing but bad things about the Remington choices.

Pros/cons to any of these?

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jmjames View Post
    It looks like I am moving to NJ by the end of the month. Unfortunately, all of my long arms are considered "banned assault weapons" under NJ law, with the exception of my Marlin 336 and a 28" 12 gauge. So, I am looking to get a shotgun for HD purposes. It needs to have a standard field stock. I'm a big fan of red dots and I'm a big fan of semi-auto shotguns (on the principle that my wife may be the one using it and a pump shotgun will likely be a single-shot firearm in her hands under stress). If I was looking at pump guns, I would just get an 870P and it would be done and over.

What are my choices here? Benelli M2/M4? Mossburg 900? Beretta Tx4 Storm? I hear nothing but bad things about the Remington choices.

Pros/cons to any of these?

J.Ja
    Take this advice for what it is worth (nothing, basically) but...

If I were to move to NJ, I would probably just get a Sully Stock for my AR, and a ban-legal barrel (no threads or other evil items) and run 15 round mags. That's infinitely better than a shotgun, in my humble opinion.

Something to consider, anyway, and something that I strongly encouraged a friend of mine in NJ to do (which, I might mention because of that episode, I'm semi-familiar with NJ state laws...)

Not sure if your wife is familiar with ARs at all, but if she is, that would make a great deal of sense in my mind. If she isn't familiar with ARs, it also occurs to me that the recoil impulse of the AR would be much friendlier to her, particularly if under stress.

We used Mossbergs at work so that's what I have the most experience with as far as pump guns, although I started on 870s.

That said, my wife bought me an 11-87 in 12 gauge four years ago for bird hunting. I have abused the crap out of that gun with poor weather conditions hunting duck, goose, pheasent and turkey (duck hunting is almost never in nice weather), riding under truck seats, shooting several hundred rounds of various birdshot including 3" mags (and a few OO buck and slugs, because ya just never know....) and I have yet to clean it. I have also yet to have a stoppage.

Just my sample of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    That's infinitely better than a shotgun, in my humble opinion.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post

Yes, I'm quite serious.

With a carbine, and the right ammunition, you're reducing your chances of overpenetrating in buildings, for one thing.

Also, a carbine with 15 rounds in a detachable mag, versus 7 or 8 rounds in a tube.

All that, not to mention that the recoil of a carbine is much more manageable than a shotgun, as well penetration of soft armor....

So, yeah... If you want to call me out for an untrue statement, by all means, please correct me. Of course, if you can only post childish pictures, then......

The Beretta Storm is basically un-obtanium, but if you want a semi-auto, I would take a hard look at the new Beretta 1301. Seems like a follow up to the Storm, and while designed for 3 Gun, looks sleepy enough would probably fit right in there in NJ. I believe it comes with a FO front sight but is drilled for an optic rail. Cost a lot less than the Storm, too.

Site Supporter
    I've seen FN shotguns run well, they make a semi.

I've run double barrels as HD and Truck guns but they definitely have their limitations.

Right now the lever actions rifles are loaded and ready to go. My wife hates guns but somehow is OK with a lever action rifle and I love my wife more than my guns.

Cheers,
    Cookie Monster

Properly setup AR's are legal in NJ. Have an FFL pin the stock, replace the flash hider with a compensator and pick up some 10 or 15 round magazines and you are most of the way there. Would be best not to have a bayonet lug as well. Drop TGS on this forum a line he has a sweet NJ legal AR and can give you more information than me since I haven't broke down and bought one yet.

As far as shotguns go I would stay away from 11-87s unless you plan on running nothing but hot loads through it. The only shotgun that wouldn't run in my last instructor cert class was an 11-87 with lighter bird loads. One of the class instructors was a Remington cert armourer and he said that was a common problem.

The Benelli's were nice guns and ran well but were complicated to run and saw several "experienced" students fumble with them while the rest were up and running the exercises. My impression at the end of the class was that you really need to practice alot to run them effectively, not something I would expect my wife to use unless she was a gun enthusiast to and would put in the time.
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    Sorry to be flippant -- I didn't know Jersey ARs could have detachable mags. That does even things up a little. Pre-toddler, I ran an AR for home defense -- easier to hang stuff on and easier to run one handed were my main thoughts. I'd say its pretty close, though -- the capacity thing doesn't bother me much because of the relative ease of keeping a shotgun topped up -- and depending on the attitude of the judicial system in a specific municipality problem 2 is going to be a lot easier with a bird gun than with an 'assault weapon.'
    Ignore Alien Orders

Thanks for all the input folks.

I've already figured out the AR situation, and I may be getting an upper that NJ feels OK with soon enough. But I still *prefer* a shotgun to an AR *for my needs* in an HD scenario. There are pros and cons to each, and it's not worth dragging out the usual whipping horses over. Just not worth discussing.

I've heard too many bad stories about the 11-87, and Remington's customer service is atrocious (a few years ago I emailed them some questions and they took 3 months to respond, and said, "well, it was the holiday season, we were swamped").

I think a better way to phrase this question is:

* Thoughts on the Benelli M2 and M4? They seem pricey to me.
    * Thoughts on the Beretta 1301? It looks like possibly the right gun for me though I'd prefer the 18" barrel.
    * The Tx4 Storm looks *perfect*. What am I missing, besides their total unavailability?

I've had nothing but great experiences with my Weatherby SA-08, which is a Turkish clone of the A390. They also have a tactical version, which I could turn into a real sleeper with a furniture change (I've got $10 that says that the Beretta A390 furniture will fit). My concern there is the two different gas valves, my load of choice is low recoil Federal Flite Control, which I suspect would be on the edge of the two different gas rings. By the by, that load is pretty mild.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

User Tag List