Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wedge for AIWB Holster

Wedge for AIWB Holster

The only holster I've seen that includes wedges is the Keeper, which is way to expensive for me. I'm looking for an AIWB holster where I can attach a small wedge at the top of the holster to push it out away from my stomach slightly, I'm willing to print a little bit more in exchange for the gun not digging into my stomach when I sit down.

Does anybody know any other holsters that might have wedges, or a suggestion for one to buy that could be modified as such? I've read good reviews about the Shaggy, G-Code Incog, and a blackhawk leather AIWB holster but all of those will dig the gun into my stomach without something there to push it out a bit.

Hmmm... Most folks use a wedge on the bottom to tuck the grip.
    You can always get some foam and Velcro and place them on the top of the holster to achieve you goal.

Maybe the problem you're having is just a matter of getting the right ride height and positioning sorted out. Could be the holster too. I went with a JRC AIWB for my first one, and while its not as inexpensive as the G Code, it's custom made with top notch workmanship and materials. There's also the JM Custom Kydex. Both offer excellent range of adjustment so sorting out the comfort issues should be do-able.

Then there's also the possibility that AIWB just won't work for you since it tends to be somewhat body type specific. If that ends up being the case for you you should have no problem recouping a majority of the money spent on either of the above rigs.

HTH

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

I'm still new to AIWB carry, and have been experimenting with pads on the bottom of my excellent JM Custom Kydex holster for my G17 and G19. The holster works nearly perfectly for me as is, but I wanted to try a pad to push the muzzle end out a little bit. Here's what I've done so far:
    1. Added a strip of industrial sticky Velcro loop side to the back of the holster.
    2. I cut some foam pads using microcell foam kayak rack blocks from REI
    3. Covered the holster in plastic wrap and tape, and used sandpaper to grind the back of the pad to the holster's shape, and added a strip of hook side Velcro.

This worked quite well, and yielded pads a lot like those on the Keeper. I also tried something that is working even better: I sewed some Velcro-backed pads out of cloth, and stuffed them with polyfill. After experimenting with size and shape, I have a small pillow at the bottom 1/3 of the holster. It's super comfortable, and keeps the grip from printing when I move. See picture below.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 07-28-2013 at 11:01 AM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I've been carrying AIWB for about 6 years with the Uncle Mike's Softy, it's comfortable because it rides SO low. Only downside is you can't get a full grip to draw quickly and it collapses after you draw. That's why I want to find something different, but most of the ones I have seen like the G Code Incog and Phlster dig the gun back into your stomach, which is the opposite of what I want.

The softy has been by far the most comfortable way for me to carry AIWB, because the most annoying part for me is digging in to my stomach when I sit down.

Quote Originally Posted by hookemhorns View Post
    I've been carrying AIWB for about 6 years with the Uncle Mike's Softy, it's comfortable because it rides SO low. Only downside is you can't get a full grip to draw quickly and it collapses after you draw. That's why I want to find something different, but most of the ones I have seen like the G Code Incog and Phlster dig the gun back into your stomach, which is the opposite of what I want.

The softy has been by far the most comfortable way for me to carry AIWB, because the most annoying part for me is digging in to my stomach when I sit down.
    In my somewhat limited AIWB experience (14mos.) I've found that:

Low ride = more comfort in abdominal area but grip issues (as you've described)

High(er) ride = more ab poking but superior results obtaining a master grip.

Either way, IMHO a reinforced mouth is mandatory for AIWB. It's already too easy to put a hole in yourself, why add to that risk? Unless, of course, you plan on removing the holster for every re-holster action. In that case, if you're running a Glock or M&P, you might as well use a Vanguard 2.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/vang...lster-full-kit

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

I like the Vanguard or the Advanced Holsters Mini for their simplicity, but they ride too high without something helping push them away from the body.

http://www.advancedholster.com/Mini.html

That's why I'm interested in something like the Incog if there was a way to fashion a small wedge for the top to push it away from the body.

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/INC/INCOG.html

Or if there would be a way to have velcro sewn onto one of these blackhawk leather holsters and then attach some kind of wedge or spacer.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/blcqcleinho.html

http://www.lapolicegear.com/blackhaw...ts-holste.html

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    Hmmm... Most folks use a wedge on the bottom to tuck the grip. .
    He's a Longhorn. Theyre a litte different.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    He's a Longhorn. Theyre a litte different.
    Darn right. I don't care if I print a little, everybody packs heat in Texas. I just don't want the gun digging into my stomach on those long road trips across God's country.

If I were to make a homemade modification, what have people used to attach something to kydex? Just regular super glue??

I just used http://www.velcro.com/Products/Adhes...h-Extreme.aspx for mine on an RCS Phantom. Haven't had any issues with it peeling off the Kydex or the Gorilla Tape (used to tape together the foam weather stripping I folded up to get a foam rectangular prism), got it at Home Depot.

User Tag List