Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gen 3 versus Gen 4 Glock triggers

Gen 3 versus Gen 4 Glock triggers

It pains me to say this, because Origami, my wife and Vogel have all said the same thing, and I disregarded it, but I believe a Gen 3 has enough better a trigger (specifically less creepy travel between take up and trigger break than the Gen 4) that the Gen 3 is a better pistol for doing your personal best work, and it is less tiring to shoot over a high round count (because the trigger has less creep to work through).

I think the Gen 4 is fine for personal defense, and I really dig the accuracy, slightly smaller size and texture. However I plain shoot a Gen 3 better.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    It pains me to say this, because Origami, my wife and Vogel have all said the same thing, and I disregarded it, but I believe a Gen 3 has enough better a trigger (specifically less creepy travel between take up and trigger break than the Gen 4) that the Gen 3 is a better pistol for doing your personal best work, and it is less tiring to shoot over a high round count (because the trigger has less creep to work through).

I think the Gen 4 is fine for personal defense, and I really dig the accuracy, slightly smaller size and texture. However I plain shoot a Gen 3 better.
    LOL I feel your pain man. I've got Gen 3 and Gen 4 copies of 19s and 17s here and I have the same dilemma. Gen 3 trigger vs Gen 4 mechanical accuracy. The two are close. Very close. And one of the Gen 4 17s with 10K rds on it is smoothed out so close to the Gen 3's it is a toss up. It is silly to OCD over the mechanical accuracy margin but I do it all time.

However I take solace in not being able to measure a dramatic difference in drills (ie FAST, El Prez, Bill Drill) from week to week but I can spend way too much time pondering which to shoot in a given match.

OTOH IMO the Gen 4 mag release is hands down better than Gen 3 with the Vickers part. In fact I removed those from my carry Gen 3s for repeated accidental mag drops; my FIST and Milt Sparks holsters don't cover it. But then again how much better? Enough to measure consistently? I can't.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I guess I'm in the minority. I felt the Gen 4 trigger had smoother take up & a cleaner, more crisp break. IDK, I can't really tell much difference between the two. I guess I felt the Gen 3's felt a little mushy in comparison. I don't see myself ever buying a Gen 3 again anyhow. I love that beaver tail the Gen 4's come with now.

Unsatisfactory results with Gen3 trigger bars in a Gen4 frame?

Site Supporter
    I agree that the trigger is much better on a Gen3, but the reduced grip size and texture still put the Gen4 over a Gen3 - for me.

After shooting sigs for a bit now I'm of the opinion there's no such thing as a GOOD Glock trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    J.M. Johnston
    Host of Ballistic Radio - Sundays at 7:00 PM EST on Cincinnati's 55KRC THE Talk Station, available on iHeartRadio

Quote Originally Posted by JV View Post
    I agree that the trigger is much better on a Gen3, but the reduced grip size and texture still put the Gen4 over a Gen3 - for me.
    Same for me.

Put a Gen4 G19 has a Gen3 trigger bar installed. Other than the fact that this particular Gen3 bar has a sloppy trigger safety everything works fine. I will be swapping it out for another Gen3 bar ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Unsatisfactory results with Gen3 trigger bars in a Gen4 frame?
    Early on Sam, some Glock SME's said "no go" and I've never bothered to try it. Got plenty to swap from. So one of these Gen 4's - my younger son's FDE 19 has just the most hard stop break - very different than the rest. Smyrna guys swapped out all the likely suspect parts and really didn't change it all that much. I'll try that.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by WDW View Post
    I guess I'm in the minority. I felt the Gen 4 trigger had smoother take up & a cleaner, more crisp break. IDK, I can't really tell much difference between the two. I guess I felt the Gen 3's felt a little mushy in comparison. I don't see myself ever buying a Gen 3 again anyhow. I love that beaver tail the Gen 4's come with now.
    No you have a point. I'd say I'd agree with that in general; especially with the "dot" connector, on most of the guns I've tried. (Each G being a little unique.) But I'm a puss and even if the pull quality is smooth - I shoot the just a skosh lighter trigger better - most of the time (I'm generally referring to "-" connectors head to head in Gen 3 and 4). I could live with either easily and for drilling, comp, street etc. I could live with the "dot" same deal.

Also I too don't see buying another Gen 3 on the balance.

User Tag List