Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Armed resident killed by police at wrong house

Site Supporter

Armed resident killed by police at wrong house

Have seen several news articles recently about the police showing up at the wrong house.
    This one ended badly for a homeowner that called in a RIP at his neighbors house across the street.

So... you're sitting quietly watching TV in the dark of night. Suddenly there's banging at the door... "POLICE!!! Search Warrant.!"... CRASH (door jamb splinters)
    *** noted that this is NOT the case in the linked article.

What to do?

And if you're reply is... "Well you can see by their uniforms they're cops", I say perhaps not... And...
    When (if not already) will criminals start using "Police Search Warrant" as a ruse to gain entry/time?"
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Interesting that the officer who fired all of the shots was a rookie cop - initial reports stated that his partner did not fire his weapon.

Overall a needless tragedy and one more good reason to just stay indoors.
    Last edited by TR675; 07-25-2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Repeatin' myself.

And...
    When (if not already) will criminals start using "Police Search Warrant" as a ruse to gain entry/time?"
    Like this?

http://www.krgv.com/news/woman-confr...ers-in-mission

pax
    Kathy Jackson

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TriumphRat675 View Post
    one more good reason to just stay indoors.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=swat+team+enters+wrong+house

"shiver"
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    What to do?
    Dude, some situations are just pretty much Kobayashi Maru, you know what I mean? It's like saying "You're out watering your lawn, and you get hit by a bolt of lightning. What do you do?"

What's sad is that, by some quick thumbnail web research, it looks like you might have a better chance of getting wrongly killed by the police than by a lightning bolt. We need to work to get those numbers in their proper relationship.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I'm reading Balko's Rise of the Warrior Cop right now and he mentions there and in some related articles the belief some officers have that the whole "no-knock"-dynamic-entry-thing is less safe than other ways of arresting bad guys, like surveillance and arrest off-premises.

Interested to know our forum LEO's thoughts on the book/subject.

Site Supporter
    Somewhere here someone shared a bit of wisdom that sticks with me...
    The topic was something along the lines of "what to do if you're trying to help a LEO subdue an unruly suspect" and the wisdom was "yell... STOP RESISTING as you wade in to help"... I'll probably never need to employ that tool, but it's in my toolbox.

^^^ Of course I'm not trying to insinuate that there's some frightful wave of SWAT mistakes sweeping the nation, but these incidences are reported at a rate much greater than my memory recalls as "normal". Probably just more reporting on something that was happening already?.... But as an armed homeowner, one of the more frightful scenarios is exactly this...

So, what magic thing can help me distinguish the good guys making a mistake crossing my threshold from something that requires immediate force in response?

So, what magic thing can help me distinguish the good guys making a mistake crossing my threshold from something that requires immediate force in response
    I'll post something more when I get it typed up, working on the same subject on the thread at TPI.

Short answer; Helmets

I have never, ever, seen or heard of bad guys wearing helmets, one of the best visual indicators that I know of.

If you are in a jurisdiction that has narc teams etc. doing raids instead of a no BS for-real SWAT team then you need to lean of your reps to fix that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by tpd223 View Post
    Short answer; Helmets
    Ask and ye shall receive...

Looking forward to your writeup...

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but the knucklehead wielding the extended tube SG appears to have accomplished that rip-off with an empty chamber. As they were exiting the house, he appears to attempt an intimidation ploy by pointing the gun towards the front door and "racking" the action and nothing was ejected from the chamber.

I hope this practice bites him in the azz someday when he runs across somebody with their head screwed on straight.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

User Tag List