Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Gun was wiped down with "silicone-impregnated" cloth between shooting sessions but never cleaned until test was complete.
    Just an external wipe, or did you field strip?
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

Just an external wipe down to protect the blued finish until the 2,000 round mark was exceeded. That is why I used the cloth as it did not introduce any additional lube into the gun. The gun was not taken down (no field strip or detail strip) until the the test was complete.

Site Supporter
    Pistol: HK P30 V1 LEM
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition: Mixed 115, 124, and 147 grain factory, remanufactured, and hand loaded.
    Dates of testing: 4/6/14 to 7/3/14
    Total rounds fired: 2,007
    Stoppages: 2
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

Comments: I purchased the P30 new from Cross Creek Guns, and shot around 1,000 rounds through it prior to starting the test. I installed Trijicon HD sights with the yellow front and used the large backstrap and large side panels. All rounds were fired at Mill Creek Rifle Club in Kansas. Love that range.

Stoppages explanation - during the first 200 rounds I had a failure to lock back on an empty magazine. I was riding the slide release, and adjusting my grip fixed the problem. Somewhere between 1,200 – 1,300 rounds, I had one FTE using a remanufactured 115 grain round. It popped like an underpowered load.

My best FAST drill was 6.36 clean from concealment. My best dot torture was 48/50 at 7 yards. My 25 yard accuracy improved throughout the test. Initially, it was common for me to get from 0 to 2 hits out of 5 on a 3x5 index card, and I improved that to 3 to 5 hits out of 5 pretty consistently toward the end of the test. A lot of pulling high and to the left at distances beyond 15 yards early on during the test, which I ironed out pretty well with dry practice.

The trigger was a challenge moving from the Glock 19, but enjoyable. Most range days I brought a G19 with me to shoot in between P30 drills. That didn’t help me get used to the LEM any faster, but did give me moral support that I could still hit the backstop on those days where the LEM was kicking my rear.

Pistol: H&K VP9
    Ammo: Sellier & Bellot 115 grain

Stoppages: One; double feed
    Malfunctions: None
    Breakages: None

Dates of Testing: July 28, 2014 thru August 4, 2014.

The pistol was purchased new and I promptly disassembled to find it loaded with lube so I promptly put 500 rounds through it.

I had previously enrolled in a Dave Harrington Advanced Pistol Course and I had not been shooting for a couple of years so I put another 650 rounds through the pistol prior to showing up for the class.

At an estimated 500 rounds into the class during a "Hit to Miss" Drill I had the double feed.

Day One was 950 rounds for a total of 2,100 rounds.

Day Two was 525 rounds and was trouble-free.

Total rounds: 2,625 rounds as of 8/4/2014.

Cleaned it up (and it did not take much at all) and she rests easy in kydex as I type this.

First post here.

Pistol: CZ 75B
    Ammunition: Magtech 115, S&B 115, Raug Precision 115 steel, CCI Blazer 124 gr, Magtech 147 gr subsonic
    Dates of testing: 6.1.12 to 8.1.12
    Total rounds fired: 2,000
    Stoppages: 1 (or 12)

I've owned this pistol since 2007 but haven't kept track of round count until 6.2012. Cleaned and lubricated with BreakFree CLP before starting. One stoppage at ~1,050 (failure to eject - "stovepipe") using Magtech 147 gr subsonic. 147 gr ammo has given me trouble in a couple other pistols too, and the 75B has otherwise been flawless with other bullet weights. 11 of 12 "stoppages" were the slide locking to the rear when the magazine wasn't empty. This was attributed to an improper grip; left hand would occasionally engage slide stop during firing. Lowered left thumb, no more issues. Cleaned at 2k rounds, which I regret. It was filthy but it ran fine.

Pistol: Walther PPQ M1 9mm
    Ammunition: Assorted 115 gr: Magtech, Raug, S&B, Wolf, Tula, Lawman, Blazer, local remans, some Blazer 124 gr, American Eagle 147 gr, gold dots, and some random old crap.
    Dates of testing: 10.3.12 - present
    Total rounds fired: 2,373
    Stoppages: 2
    Malfunctions: 1

Bought NIB, cleaned and lubricated with BreakFree CLP before starting. In the first 1k rounds I had two failures to go into battery, one of which while shooting one handed. Tapping the slide fixed it. No further stoppages, though at one point while carrying it around the shop the rear sight fell out. After reinstalling it I noticed that it fit tighter into the slide than it had before, leading me to believe that it wasn't properly installed out of the factory (just a guess). I can't really explain the earlier stoppages but it hasn't been an issue since. Will keep shooting it to see what happens but given my budget it'll be awhile.

CZ pics: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-f...o/IMG_4370.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-z...o/IMG_4368.JPG

I also tried my SIG P239, but I can't say it passed the test. 1 failure to feed with 147 grain AE, 3 failures to eject and slide failing to lock back at ~1000 rounds. Throwing a bit of CLP on the rails has seen a trouble free ~400 rounds but without the extra lube the slide seemed to be moving slower than it ought to.
    Last edited by ReverendMeat; 08-10-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Pistol: Glock 17A

Ammunition: Assorted FMJ including Remington, Winchester, Monarch, and Freedom Munitions. Also ran 100 rounds each of Hornady TAP and Federal HydraShok, both 147gr.

Dates of testing: 8/13 - 8/14

Total rounds fired: 2486

Stoppages: 0

Comments: Bought the gun brand new in July of last year, with the intent of cutting the frame down to 19 length. I took it straight from the store to the range, put 17 rounds each of Hornady TAP (my prefered carry ammo) and Federal HydraShok (I have a can full of this stuff from a gunshow several years back) to check for function. I also put 100 rounds of WWB through it. Ran all 134 rounds fine, but threw about a third of the casings back at my forehead....no bueno.

Took it home, did the grip chop, grinding, and stippling. Replaced the factory dovetail protectors. Did a twenty five cent trigger job, replaced the connector with a Zev Works 2lb race connector, and dropped in a NY1 TRS. This gives me about a 6lb trigger with a smooth pull, zero slack, and an extremely positive reset. Also installed an Apex FRE. Cleaned the polymer dust out of the frame, put everything back together, lubed it up with a few drops of Mobil 1 synthetic, and it's been 100% ever since.
    I've taken it through 3 pistol classes, as well as a couple of regional forum shoots where I monitored the other shooters for failures (mainly looking to see if it were prone to limp wristing with smaller shooters and children....), but it ran fine.

It's a late Gen3 Glock, I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been a lemon, but I'm also not particularly surprised that it runs like a champ either. I have a 34 and a 19, and in the past I've had a 26 and another 17, through almost 50,000 rounds through my various Glocks I can count all the failures without having to take off my flip flops and use my toes.

One thing that did surprise me is just how clean it looks after almost 2500 rounds.....hell, there's still a tiny bit of Glock factory bronze gunk in the slide.

Pistol: Sig P229R (Aka P229R-1 with "Long ejector"/"E2" Slide, Purchased 2014), California model w/ chamber indicator and magazine disconnect. Tested with 10 round P229R-1 and P228/P229 magazines (9 total)
    Ammunition: 115 grain American Eagle, 115 grain Blazer Brass, 115 grain Independence, 115 grain Fiocchi, 115 grain Magtech, 124 grain Winchester 9mm NATO, 147 Grain Speer Lawman
    Dates of testing: 5/10/2014-8/16/2014
    Total rounds fired: 2,100
    Stoppages: 6 (all with American Eagle 115 grain AE9DP)

Comments:

This is a newly purchased P229R. Pistol was lightly lubed with Slip2000, and the critical rail surfaces lubed with Tw25B. No further lubrication or cleaning was performed during testing. For the first 250 rounds, I used AE9DP and had 2 stoppages at rounds 112 and 238 (both magazine #5). I then fired 100 rounds of Magtech and 100 rounds of Speer Lawman, without issue. I then fired another 200 rounds AE9DP and had stoppages on rounds 476 (Mag #5), 481 (Mag #7), 518 (Mag #5), 546 (Mag #7).

All stoppages were identical - a fired cartridge case stuck in the chamber (failure to extract/eject), with the slide attempting to feed another round, resulting in a double feed malfunction:

http://imgur.com/fOvMMXK

Interestingly, standard double action remediation did not reduce the stoppage (ie lock, eject mag, rack, rack, rack) - the spent case was firmly stuck in the chamber and the extractor could not get a hold of it. Only by locking back the slide and forcefully smacking the pistol on a hard surface did the spent case dislodge.

Inspection of the brass cases did not reveal any gross abnormalities. All of the AE9DP likely came from the same lot of ammunition.

Further details on the stoppages are detailed in this thread: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...220#post224220

I then fired another 200 of Lawman, 200 of Magtech, 100 of Winchester NATO, another 250 of Magtech, 100 of Blazer Brass, 100 of Independence, 100 of Fiocchi, another 100 of Magtech, another 150 of Independence, and another 150 of Blazer Brass, all without incident (1554 rounds since last stoppage).

For now, I am attributing the stoppages to the lot of AE9DP, given that I could not replicate it with any other ammunition. Whether or not this was an issue with "breaking in" the pistol, or an issue with the pistol itself, is unknown to me at this time.

Cleaning with SLIP2000 degreaser was unremarkable, with no visible breakages noted.
    Last edited by Yute; 08-17-2014 at 07:53 PM.

Addendum to above: one parts breakage - the magazine disconnect. Just noticed that the pistol will fire even with the magazine is removed. It appears that the magazine disconnect spring inside the locking block has broken, which is allowing the disconnect to spin freely.

Excellent recent updates, gents!
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Yute View Post
    Pistol: Sig P229R (Aka P229R-1 with "Long ejector"/"E2" Slide, Purchased 2014), California model w/ chamber indicator and magazine disconnect.
    Further Addendum to above - after cleaning, I put another 200 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 grain through the pistol, which resulted in 6 FTEs of the same type of above. Unfortunately my supposition that the initial problem was ammunition related is likely incorrect - all failures appear to have occurred in the same two mags (#5 and #7) - I am looking at magazine issues vs chamber dimensions vs extractor issues at this time.

I apologize for gunking up this thread with so many addendum's, but I could not edit my previous posts.
    Last edited by Yute; 08-23-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: missing words

User Tag List