Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: 2,000 Round Challenge

Pistol: Dan Wesson Valor (Black)
    Caliber: .45 ACP
    Ammunition: S&B, Armscor, Magtech, Tula, PMC, CCI (all 230 gr), some old HydraShoks, box of HPR Blackops
    Dates of testing: 10/7/2014 - 12/31/2014
    Total rounds fired: 2,038
    Stoppages: Yes*
    Malfunctions: 0
    Breakages: 0

*Bought a new magazine (WC 47D) at about 1,200 rounds and soon after encountered a failure to feed from slide lock and numerous failures to lock back on empty both while shooting and hand cycling. Determined to be caused by the magazine. The checkmate mags that came with the gun and a couple tripps presented no issues. At 1,500 rounds I started encountering failures to go into battery, requiring a push on the back of the slide to remedy. Hand cycling the action felt, for lack of a better word, sludgy. A couple drops of Breakfree CLP on the rails and the gun felt like it did fresh out of the box and no further issues popped up.

So I suppose since I needed to lube the gun before 2000 rounds it "failed" the test. Doesn't bother me at all, and to be honest I was surprised it made it as far as it did. The clearances were super tight out of the box, such that I gave up on trying to get the barrel bushing out of the slide, and I would've expected having to lube it much sooner.

Pistol: Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical (WC Model)
    Caliber: 9x19
    Ammunition: Winchester USA 115-grain FMJ and Federal 124-grain Hydra-Shok Personal Defense. This is all standard pressure ammo.
    Dates of testing: 1/09/2015 - 1/17/2015
    Total rounds fired: 2000
    Stoppages: 0

Comments: Pistol was NIB at the beginning of the test and was lubed with Break-Free CLP before start of test. Pistol was not cleaned or lubed again until test was complete. Exterior of gun was wiped down with clean, dry rag between shooting sessions to keep crud out of holster and off my clothes. Weather ranged from the low 30s to the mid 50s. Only issue is I have seem to have developed tennis elbow in my right (strong-side) elbow from shooting so much (for me) in such a short period of time. The last five hundred rounds were no fun at all. Not sure if this is related to the gun or to me as I also shot a fair amount of .45 ACP from my carry 1911 and from my wad gun during an indoor league Bullseye match around the same time frame.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    Pistol: Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical (WC Model)
    Caliber: 9x19
    Ammunition: Winchester USA 115-grain FMJ and Federal 124-grain Hydra-Shok Personal Defense. This is all standard pressure ammo.
    Dates of testing: 1/09/2015 - 1/17/2015
    Total rounds fired: 2000
    I don't know what makes me more envious - that you own such a fine specimen of pistol or that you can shoot 2000 rounds over the course of a week.

Great to see it passed without a hiccup!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Pistol: Springfield Armory Custom Shop Warren Tactical 9mm 1911
    Ammo: CCI 124gr TMJ Blazer Cleanfire; Federal P9HST3 (124gr +p HST)
    Dates: Saturday July 14 through Wednesday July 18
    Total Rounds Fired: 2,018
    Parts Breakages: 0

Comments: At the 1,637 round mark I replaced the stock mag catch with an Ed Brown extended version which I fitted myself. Given that I'd never fitted a mag catch to a 1911 before, this was probably a bad idea in the middle of a 2K Challenge. Nonetheless, everything worked as intended.

For the first time since I began these 2K Challenges, I feel genuinely guilty about putting my pistol through that and will be cleaning it soon.
    So replacing the mag catch is NOT considered maintenance?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by pisc1024 View Post
    So replacing the mag catch is NOT considered maintenance?
    I didn't do it to perform maintenance, but as with all sorts of on-the-line things it was listed with details so people can make their own decisions about what did and didn't count, etc.

Pistol: H&K P30S - V3
    Ammo: WWB, Blazer Brass, PMC Bronze, Speer Lawman, 50 rounds of Jack Ross, a fistful of Federal HST, and probably a couple others as well
    Dates: Feb 2014 - Feb 2015 (yes, it took me a full year, and most of that is in the last 7 weeks)
    Total Rounds Fired: 2,100
    Stoppages: 1 (Failure to lock slide back on empty - 100% due to my grip and it being a new gun)
    Parts Breakages: 0

Comments: I reported the one stoppage, but that occurred in the first 100 rounds (actually, at about round 30). So the gun HAS done 2000 rounds with no errors, which is a minor miracle in my hands. In terms of pace of getting to 2k, over 1k of those 2k have been in 2015. I did not get to shoot much in 2014.

So this gun was almost doomed in this test. I haven't been shooting handgun much the last few years, in fact, as a result of young kids, I haven't been shooting much of anything the last few years. This test started with a new gun that I brought home, stripped, cleaned, lubed, and then started shooting. I have owned it a year, and am about to clean it for the second time.

I chose this gun because of:
    1. I like hammer-fired guns.
    2. The ergonomics work well for me.
    3. Todd's test data (for a numbers geek, that data kind of rocks)
    4. I wanted something new and higher capacity to re-start me - so I shelved my EL worked Sig P225 and started shooting this one.

It has completely exceeded expectations, but after 2.1k rounds with the stock sights, they are GONE as soon as I can make it happen. I think it will get a set of Trijicon HDs. Love the pistol - hate the sights.

Vending Machine Operator
    I like tests that include a smattering of ammo types like ^ this one. I realize it's usually the same type of ammo because it's easiest/cheapest that way, and in fact my currently ongoing 92FS test has used solely 124-grain WWB 9mm NATO, but it's nice seeing a gun function with more than one favored load.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Pistol: SIG P226 (E26R-9-B)
    Caliber: 9mm
    Ammunition: S&B 115gr, CCI Blazer 115gr, Magtech 124gr, Armscor 124gr, local 115gr remans, Gold Dot 124+P
    Dates of testing: 11/24/2014 - 3/8/2015
    Total rounds fired: 2,040
    Stoppages: 0*
    Breakages: 1

Bought LNIB (factory test fired 8-2013). Pistol had E2 grips, one 15rnd mag, one 18rnd mag, and long external extractor. Only modifications were coloring out the rear sight with a sharpie and replacing the E2s with Hogue G10s after a few weeks. Cleaned and lubed before shooting with either BreakFree CLP or FireClean (I think it was BreakFree but I don't remember).

Around 900 rounds in, the sear spring retaining pin disappeared. The gun still functioned for at least one mag afterwards, if not more (unsure of exactly when it came out) which was surprising. Installed new pin and that sucker isn't going anywhere.

At the end of today's range trip I fired 10 rounds one handed with no mag inserted to see what ejection looked like. Was consistent with normal ejection. Interestingly I tried the same in a clean/lubed P228, with both hands, and it crapped half the brass down the magwell and featured a couple good ol' FTEs as well.

*The slide often doesn't lock back on empty. On SIGs I simply do not consider this a "stoppage" in any way. Since I am often putting downward pressure on the slide release while shooting, the slide not locking back on empty is just proof that the slide release works.

is it OK to post a failed attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by 1986s4 View Post
    is it OK to post a failed attempt?
    Please do! Every honest data point adds value.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

User Tag List