Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mission and Mindset for the Armed Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    • Avoid Stupid Places
    • Avoid Stupid People
    • Avoid Stupid Things
    This is basically what my father always said and it's kept me from getting hurt, going to jail and there are no little unwanted Me's running around.
    "Take the message to Garcia."

Quote Originally Posted by jmbistheman View Post
    I agree with everything except the "Exercise a Constitutional Right" part.

The right of self defense, and hence, gun ownership, is an inherent, natural, inalienable right of every individual on this planet, and one that the 2nd Amendment only protects-it does not give.
    I'm not trying to get that deep, dude.

Very good thread here OP. I'm glad you mentioned pepper spray. I started carrying O.C. last year and I see it as a very good non-lethal option. We are more likely to be accosted by someone looking for a fist fight than a gun fight, at least where I come from. Avoidance is the key but it's nice to have options.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    There was a time when I was convinced of the utility of carrying OC spray in addition to the other gear we load ourselves down with. For whatever reason, I allowed myself to be convinced that OC was unnecessary, but I will state now that I think OC spray is a vital option for the armed citizen, especially for dealing with two very real threats: dogs and drunks.
    How are people carrying OC on their body? Holster, pocket, clip?

Great write up Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    John Farnam spends a good deal of time on deselection, de-escalaltion and disengagement... I actually think it may be more valuable than shooting portion of his class
    I did the DTI basic class with the Farnams a few months ago and would agree that his deselection and de-escalation stuff is great. One technique John teaches for deselection is what he calls “tape loops”- you should already have a reply rehearsed and ready to go when approached by an unknown. We used “Sorry sir, can’t help you”, and throughout the course were expected to address the target while moving (the AI’s would also stand behind the line and give us lines to respond to, i.e.”hey man,c an I have a ride?”). During the drill YVK mentions it was even suggested that you might look at the ground, yell “SNAKE!” and haul ass to break a persistent contact. It was all about disrupting his plan while keeping your head clear to deal with the situation and quite useful for a newb like me.
    His lectures also focus on most of the things mentioned here- don’t go stupid places, be invisible if you have to be there, if targeted get yourself deselected, disengage at the lowest level of force. If all of that fails what he calls the 4 D’s come in- Divide his focus, Disrupt his plan, Disable his body, Destroy his will to fight. I found that approach gave me a lot more to think about than “Just shoot the SOB” and encourages you to look for other options. Like YVK said, the lecture part of the course may be worth the money all by itself.

Is there a definitive resource for OC/Pepper spray for civilians? Or start hitting the googles and try to avoid the FUD?

The importance of making good decisions, from the excellent Cornered Cat website:

"When you pull and use a gun, you are gambling literally everything you have on getting it right during the event and being legally justified afterward. You are gambling your physical life. You are betting your job, your home, and every penny you have in the bank. At risk is your marriage, your ability to share a bed with the person you love, and your ability to watch your children grow up in person instead of from jail. You place on the table every friendship you've ever made, every dollar you've ever earned or will earn, and your family's future happiness. You are risking sleep disturbances, flashbacks, nightmares, impotence, anorexia, alcoholism, drug reliance, and a long and bitter lifetime of regret if you get it wrong. That is the gamble you take when you use a firearm against another human being."

http://www.corneredcat.com/toc.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post

Great write up Jay.
    I've been using a Sabre brand unit with a pocket clip that I reversed and put on the bottom of the tube and secured with electrical tape. I carry it this way, spray top down, in my non shooting hand side front pocket. All most people see is just the small clip coming from my pocket while it's being carried this way. I practice deploying it with my non dominate hand so the other hand can access my firearm if need be.

Rob Pincus has a DVD on the topic called "Chemical sprays for defense / Electrical defensive devices" that has a lot of good information on the different types available and how to best deploy them.

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    Is there a definitive resource for OC/Pepper spray for civilians? Or start hitting the googles and try to avoid the FUD?
    www.defensedevices.com

Quote Originally Posted by IRISH View Post

Great write up Jay.
    I'd like to point out that I haven't yet received formal training (an entire class) on how to deploy OC, other than an hour or two with John Farnam. That said, member orionz06 and I have been working on a couple of OC carrier concepts and he built a test model. I'm going to try it out and run it past a few people with a lot more experience to get some opinions.

User Tag List