Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Association for Gun Rights

Site Supporter

National Association for Gun Rights

I keep getting email solicitations from the NAGR. I though about sending them a few bucks, but I'm fairly new this this community. Is this a reputable group? Is there a better place to send my FEW alms?
    I joined the NRA. Would by meager support be better directed to them?
    Thanks for any advice.

Site Supporter
    FWIW.... Thread going on TXCHLForum here

From that thread.... This guy is an NRA board member...
    I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles L. Cotton
    Dudley Brown's NAGR has some relationship with Sen. Rand Paul that involves their respective email lists. I was shocked to learn Paul had done this, especially since NAGR is nothing more than Dudley Brown's email list used to solicit funds and slander the NRA. Since Paul's dad was a master at using the Internet to raise money, I guess Rand is following in his footsteps. The Senator should choose his friends far more carefully.

Chas.
    And the most constructive comment from that thread, IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by G.A. Heath
    Ok, so for those who feel NAGR and/or GOA is a viable alternative to the NRA would you please show me what legislation they pushed and got passed? Maybe you can show me what lawsuits they have launched and won. Maybe you can show me what they have done to promote firearms education. Perhaps you can show me what they have done to promote competitive shooting sports. Alternatively you can show me why our opposition always complains about the NRA and why they don't seem to attack NAGR or GOA.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post
    I
    I joined the NRA. Would by meager support be better directed to them?
    Yes.

NAGR hasn't done anything to protect or advance our rights anywhere, ever.
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the response guys. I actually had my credit card in hand, punching in the numbers when a little voice went off in my head. It's not like the little amount I can contribute is going to have a major impact, but I'd like to think that it's at least being used effectively.
    Hey Rainbow man, I recognized your handle from the TCHL forum. I started to post this question over there, but decided to come here instead. For one thing, as you pointed out, Mr. Cotten is an NRA board member, so the answer I'd get there seems fairly predictable. (Please don't misconstrue that last sentence. I have tremendous respect for Mr. Cotton, and am grateful for his efforts on the behalf of gun owners. But i think the answer you'll get by asking an NRA board member if contributing to the NRA is a good idea is a little obvious.) The other thing is that some of those guys can get a little "intense." I respect their passion, but am somewhat suspicious of their objectivity.
    As a new convert to a more "republican" way of thinking, I lurk on that and other boards quite a bit trying to get a feel of the political landscape. I was surprised to see how quickly Ted Cruz can go from darling to demon (more on immigration that 2A issues.) And even as I type this, there are those calling for Rick Perry's head on a pike because he hasn't done enough for gun rights in the second special session.
    I know it looks like I've drifted off topic, but it comes down to a liberal (I would have said moderate) convert trying to understand and navigate the landscape over here on the more conservative side. I appreciate the insight you guys provide.

Site Supporter
    ^^^^ That's why I pointed out Mr Cotton's position with the NRA... I doubt even HE would call himself impartial.

It's good that you're taking it all with a grain or two of salt... No Gell-Mann for you

ETA: Somewhere there is a political party for Constitutional-minded social liberals that are hawkish on defense... Please let me know when you find it.

Cheers.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post

ETA: Somewhere there is a political party for Constitutional-minded social liberals that are hawkish on defense... Please let me know when you find it.
    My old college roommate tried to start one, but had trouble with naming it. The best she could do was "The Sex, Guns, and Blow the Kitten Out of the Middle East (Except Israel) Party".

I hardly ever read emails from NAGR but I decided to just now. FWIW, I guess they did help this time..sorta. It's still illegal to carry in the buildings but the parking lot has been freed up.

http://www.nagr.org/NAGR-Wins-Right-...S-Property.pdf
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    My old college roommate tried to start one, but had trouble with naming it. The best she could do was "The Sex, Guns, and Blow the Kitten Out of the Middle East (Except Israel) Party".

If she tries to revive it, let me know. Sounds like a winner. Especially the first two parts. Trying to get an image of who our 2016 nominee would be.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigguy View Post

If she tries to revive it, let me know. Sounds like a winner. Especially the first two parts. Trying to get an image of who our 2016 nominee would be.
    Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Ted Nugent
    We prefer sane candidates, so the Nuge is out.

User Tag List