Thread: FN FNX 45

FN FNX 45

What's the current thought on this pistol?

Reviewer of the Tools
    Cannot comment specifically on the FNX 45 model, but I was able to handle the FNX 9mm and FNS 9mm the other day in a local shop. I really liked the feel of these pistols in hand.

Easy to use ambidextrous controls, the safety was easily flipped on and off without breaking my grip, DA pull was a very smooth rolling break, the SA pull was very crisp and similar to my P30 SA pull, I really liked the aggressive texture of the grip but I have large and very tough hands, the ones I handled had traditional white 3 dot sights on them but Ameriglo offers some of their night and fiber optic sights for the FNX series.

The magazines are a tad expensive. Online prices are around $50.00 a piece for the magazines and they are not in stock everywhere. That is similar to HK mag prices lately. Also, not all of the A-List holster manufacturers are offering support for this platform.

There has been a lot of talk about the FNX 45 over on M4Carbine lately and it seems like for good reason. I am very intrigued by FN's entire line of pistols personally and would not mind giving them a shot once I have extra funds to do so with. Then again, my opinion is probably not worth all that much.

I bought an FNX-45 FDE last Tuesday and have put 400 Blazer Aluminum 230gr and 100 Winchester Ranger (RA45T) through it so far. The gun is very large, but it is a soft shooting .45 ACP handgun compared to other .45s. Like Whiskey Bravo mentioned, magazines are expensive. Aftermarket support is lacking right now, but there are a few companies that do make holsters for the pistol. Raven Concealment, Kydex Tech, and Bravo Concealment come to mind. Externally it is the same as the FNP-45, so holsters should be compatible. There are aftermarket night sight options available if you end up buying a model that comes with the 3-dot white sights.

I've heard FNP-45 magazines will work in an FNX-45, but not the other way around. The barrel feed ramp and chamber support was changed between the two pistols, as well as tha magazine since the FNP-45 mags had issues with some ammo.

I really can't speak to anything else since my holster hasn't come in yet, and I've only put 500 rounds through the pistol. It appears to be well made, and despite the size of the grip, it was comfortable for me shoot. I'll have more words once I've shot it more and I've actually been able to carry it in a holster.
    Last edited by Timbonez; 07-10-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Night sights comment

Got one 3 weeks ago ...

Holds 15 rounds comes with 3 Mags
    Trigger is better than the HK 45 JMO.
    Accuracy at 25 yards with good ammo sub 2" (5) round groups.
    Sights are great for accuracy but are worthless in the dark.
    I have big hands so for me it feels like a small pistol that holds 15 rounds of 45.
    Very little Felt Recoil.
    Don't like the fact it hates light reloads because of the heavy recoil spring but there is a way around it make your own recoil Spring Guide Assembly.
    Price is hard to beat for what you get...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG09ef6n3nY
    FNP 45 is almost the same as the FNX 45 JMO a good review.
    Last edited by Robert Mitchum; 07-11-2013 at 12:31 AM.

I put 100 rounds through one of the Tactical models with Trijicon RMR mounted and loved the gun. If I was in the market for a da/as pistol, the FNX45 would be in the safe. If they do an FNS45 w/o manual safety, I am going to be out some cash!

Differences between Fnp 45 and fnx 45 is a few of the internal demensions of the slide were changed, resulting in a lighter slide that cycles more commercial ammo loads.

I've owned both the FNP and the FNX. I felt that both were very well made guns. I was not impressed with the design of either, though. I felt that the safety/decocker suffered a bit from the problem of deckocking when you click off the safety a bit too hard. I also felt that the position of the lever made a high thumbs-forward grip rather uncomfortable (at least with my hands). My final gripe was with the profile of the rear of the frame. Shooting with gloves on, the hammer would sometimes catch on the glove. I have pretty large hands, though, so other folks may not have the same complaints. The trigger was serviceable. A bit mushy in single action, but relatively light.

My first one, the FNP, had a magazine that wouldn't lock back the slide. I called up FN and they had a new one in the mail no questions asked. Excellent customer service.

I've since gotten rid of both guns. If I were to get another DA/SA gun tomorrow, i'd probably go with the CZ instead. Mostly an ergonomic issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I've owned both the FNP and the FNX. I felt that both were very well made guns. I was not impressed with the design of either, though. I felt that the safety/decocker suffered a bit from the problem of deckocking when you click off the safety a bit too hard. I also felt that the position of the lever made a high thumbs-forward grip rather uncomfortable (at least with my hands). My final gripe was with the profile of the rear of the frame. Shooting with gloves on, the hammer would sometimes catch on the glove. I have pretty large hands, though, so other folks may not have the same complaints. The trigger was serviceable. A bit mushy in single action, but relatively light.

My first one, the FNP, had a magazine that wouldn't lock back the slide. I called up FN and they had a new one in the mail no questions asked. Excellent customer service.

I've since gotten rid of both guns. If I were to get another DA/SA gun tomorrow, i'd probably go with the CZ instead. Mostly an ergonomic issue.
    Same experience here, the FNP-40 was an ok gun, accurate, but mag springs were poor (lockback problem) the decock lever stuck out a mile on both sides and would snag everything, the grip texture was slippery, and the takedown lever would peen the slide, causing a nice gouge in the finish. The DA pull was a challenge. I learned a lot of lessons and then traded it in for a Gen 4 Glock 19 and have been much happier since. The FNP45's have been plagued with mags that wouldn't feed WWB or other slightly longer than standard length rounds, and trigger pins that walk out. FN may have rectified both issues by now, but they were active topics on FN forum for a long time.
    Last edited by EMC; 07-12-2013 at 09:12 PM.

"Where the FNX-45 differs from the earlier FNP-45 is in its internal dimensions and in the fact that the magazines have been redesigned for optimal performance with a variety of commercially available ammunition regardless of bullet shape, profile, weight, or ballistics. The redesign of the magazines means that FNP mags will not operate in FNX guns".

It's a great weapon. Griffon Industries also makes holsters for them.

User Tag List