Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anybody know anything about Longmire?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    The show started off ok, but got kind of cheesy at a certain point. My wife liked it enough that we kept watching it. For me, frankly the setting saved the whole series in my opinion. By the end of each episode I was ready to throw our stuff in boxes and move to Wyoming.
    Too bad most of the show is filmed in New Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by codisimo View Post
    Too bad most of the show is filmed in New Mexico.
    Interesting. I haven't been to NM in years, but it looks a tad bit more verdant in the show than I remember it being.

I just don't think it's very well done. Apparently Longmire's 1911 has been modified to fire with the hammer down.
    #RESIST

The writers don't know anything about composting.

All guns are always "registered" even in states that don't register them.

Am still watching it but it's on the bubble.

Really enjoyed the first season.

This season is a bit weaker that the first, but it's still holding my interest. I generally DVR the episode and watch it later at night for continuity (blasting past the commercials).

Did some checking on where the Longmire character came from and it's from a series of books by Craig Johnson.

I'm reading them in order and on the fourth one now. If you're into reading real books (how quaint!), they're pretty good and you'll recognize where much of the Longmire storyline comes from.

The public library, my tax money at work!!

AD

I'll bet that Wyoming is greener than NM right now.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    I'm watching it on Hulu right now. It fills in the hour vegetation time before bed quite nicely.

Sure, there are the standard bad gun handling and random "What the Kittens" when it comes to kids from LA writing about stuff they don't know.

I like the characters and the scenery, and when was the last time Lou Diamond Phillips was in something. With Katee Sackhoff though I keep thinking she'll get in a gun fight with Jack Bauer.

I'd give it a 6 but my standards are low.

Cookie Monster

I get that there is a lot of poor gun handling, however, sadly, that part can be a very realistic portrayal of real life.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'll bet that Wyoming is greener than NM right now.
    Of that there is little doubt. Although, monsoon season is starting off better for us this year. If one were inclined to do so, you could describe the area of Northern New Mexico where they film Longmire as greenish. One would also need to have grown up in West Texas, Southern Arizona or Southern New Mexico to do so.

Site Supporter
    Yes, the gun handling leaves something to be desired. For instance, as mentioned, Longmire’s 1911 is always carried hammer down, and it seems to fire from the double-action mode. It makes me cringe.

Other mistakes include frequently seen movement with finger on the trigger, and there is occasionally sweeping of one’s colleagues. Also, as is often the case in fiction, reloads are few and far between.

The reference to guns being registered in Wyoming is correct. They are not, but according to the writers of the show they are. Also, Wyoming is now a “Constitutional Carry” state. No permit to carry concealed is necessary. Why cannot the writers read Wikipedia?

On the plus side, the show does attempt to address issues facing rural Western areas. There are shows about conflicts over logging, cattle rustling, and Indian gaming. The difference in authority of the Reservation in contrast to the state is an important part of several stories. Also, the depiction of the locals regarding the female deputy from Philadelphia as an “outsider” gets something right about how many people think out here.

There is also an episode about Basque sheepherders. There is mentioned too a presence of Mormons. Both were and remain a significant part of our history in the inter-mountain West.

Yet, I must be unkind and say the show is “Murder, She Wrote” with big hats. It recycles the familiar formula of television murder mysteries. It is the window dressing though that makes it worth watching.

User Tag List