Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: M&P9 barrel saga

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I'd venture to say it's because 99.99% of the M&P crowd doesn't know if it shoots patterns rather than groups.
    I'd venture to say it's because 99.99% of the M&P crowd doesn't know the difference between shooting patterns and groups.

Fixed it for you.

(and again, lest anyone think this is an attack on M&P shooters in particular, the above comment would be true for almost any brand and model of production pistol)

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    (and again, lest anyone think this is an attack on M&P shooters in particular, the above comment would be true for almost any brand and model of production pistol)
    Just my casual observation of various pistol shooters at public ranges is that most don't even fire their handguns at 25 yards and would be happy if they got the targets that DocGkr shot at 7 yards vs the 25 yards distance where he shot them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    Could the hammer cocking by slide effect on barrel dwell time be one of the reasons HK45 and HK P30 shoot so well?
    Is it harder to get a striker fired pistol to shoot as well ?
    It would seem that the longer the barrel remains locked up, or at least in a parallel relationship to the slide and thus sights, the more accurate the pistol is likely to be. Old bullseye shooters in the 1970s used to tell me this.
    I think that, the sooner the barrel is allowed to tilt and unlock, the more ammo variation would impact accuracy because barrel might be tilting before the bullet departed. Ammo pressure variations could thus cause bullet departure at various barrel tilts. If the barrel stays locked up and /or parallel longer ammo variation should affect it less.
    I think this makes theoretical sense. That said, my Gen4 G17 holds 10 rounds inside 3x5 card at about 18-20 yards, just like my P30 does. My MP shoots around that card. It's like perfect hostage resque gun, just aim at the hostage.

Apex has been promising a Bar Sto solution for many moons now. I wonder when this will finally happen?

My fear is that the answer is never.

Anybody knows a gunsmith who can weld up a barrel to an oversized dimensions and then fit it in?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My fear is that the answer is never.

Anybody knows a gunsmith who can weld up a barrel to an oversized dimensions and then fit it in?
    Grant over at M4C forum is fitting Storm Lake barrels and is reported to achieve excellent results.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=104659
    Scott
    Only Hits Count - The Faster the Hit the more it Counts!!!!!!; DELIVER THE SHOT!
    Stephen Hillier - "An amateur practices until he can do it right, a professional practices until he can't do it wrong."

I think, and this is me talking after a cursory evaluation of the M&Ps I have, the problem would be (to fix the dwell time issue) that the barrel can't travel that much further back before encroaching on the mag-well/altering feed path.

The Langdon bbl (still want to see a pic of that) might very well address the issue, but it might not lend itself to production line use.

Another remedy is a higher slide mass or hydraulic recoil assembly ($50 guide rod).

The M&P accuracy issue could be solved, but it won't be by putting match bbls or different twist rates in it. It needs some additional tweeking.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riehl View Post
    The Langdon bbl (still want to see a pic of that) might very well address the issue, but it might not lend itself to production line use.
    I could get you a photo. Or I could, you know, send you mine to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    I could get you a photo. Or I could, you know, send you mine to look at.
    Pic. That is a one of a kind thing, and I'd hate to be associated with it being lost, damaged or stolen. I'm just curious as to what the changes were.

Quote Originally Posted by Comedian View Post
    Apex has been promising a Bar Sto solution for many moons now. I wonder when this will finally happen?

Randy worked hard on designing a barrel with the correct dwell, unfortunately ATS is at the mercy of BS to produce the barrels.
    There was one batch produced that I know of so far but there was a problem with them.

User Tag List