Welcome to the pistol-forum.com.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rome, Italy

    Tritium vs Fiber Optic

    Hi guys, i just bought a gen3 glock 17, i want to change the sights but i what should i choose ? Tritium/luminova sights or fiber optic sights ? I will use the 17 for idpa competitions. Cheers

  2. #2
    Cottonheaded Ninnymuggins
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Tritium will really only help in the dark. Fiberoptic will light up like Rudolph's nose out in the sunlight. For IDPA type competition, I think the fiber makes more sense. I assume that opportunity for concealed carry is pretty limited there?
    --Josh
    "Scan and assess? No, I'm just looking around to see if anyone saw me yoink the last shot..."

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    thank you, i think i'll take the truglo red/green set

  4. #4
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Locked In The Ninja Closet
    As a tangential question on fibers vs. night sights, what kind of difference do people see during full daylight between a fiber optic front sight and a high visibility front night sight? I'm not asking about the tritium, I am referring to the daylight high visibility element to the front sight, such as the bright orange or yellow/green of a Hack front, a CAP front, an HD front, or an Operator-type front with a white or repainted orange ring around the tritium. How do those compare to a fiber optic front? I've really never used a fiber front and am not inclined to, but I'm considering trying higher visibility sights again having spent a lot of time with all-black sights for a while now.
    "Conscience is our guide,
    peace is our shelter,
    beauty and perfection is our life."
    - Bruce Leroy

  5. #5
    Wizard's Sleeve
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have a G17 with a CAP front and a G17 with an Ameriglo FO front... I don't have time differences but the CAP is bright in both bright light and overcast. The FO's seem to dim too much for me in overcast.
    Think for yourself, question authority
    Serial Vest Disrespector
    Dark Star Gear

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by OrigamiAK View Post
    As a tangential question on fibers vs. night sights, what kind of difference do people see during full daylight between a fiber optic front sight and a high visibility front night sight? I'm not asking about the tritium, I am referring to the daylight high visibility element to the front sight, such as the bright orange or yellow/green of a Hack front, a CAP front, an HD front, or an Operator-type front with a white or repainted orange ring around the tritium. How do those compare to a fiber optic front? I've really never used a fiber front and am not inclined to, but I'm considering trying higher visibility sights again having spent a lot of time with all-black sights for a while now.
    I have 4 sights that I've used/am using on my Glock 19s:

    Warren tritium front
    Warren tritium front with top half painted orange
    Warren FO front(red rod)
    Ameriglo CAP front(orange square)

    These are mounted on my carry pistol but my comparison is from shooting them in USPSA matches. The FO front is my preferred front sight for shooting competitions outdoors. Even in low-ish light(an indoor range) the FO still gathers enough light to be very useful. I greatly appreciated the small, precise dot combined with sharp, black edges of the sight when shooting at plates. The Hack/CAP front really jumps in daylight and works well in low light, but I find that I lose precision with it over the FO front.

    The painted warren front works reasonably well but I prefer having a crisp black edge for precision work. The orange sharpie-pen paint can blend in with GA clay berms a little too well.

    The plain warren front I want to love but I just don't shoot it well on the clock. I love black sights during dry fire or bulls-eye practice, but frankly they suck at speed(for me).

    I have mixed opinions on using the FO front on my carry pistol. It does surprisingly well in low light but I don't have any near-no-light or no light capability with it.

    My next sight to try will be the .220 tall Hack front(round orange paint) paired with my Warren rear. I'm hoping this will be the compromise I'm looking for.

  7. #7
    Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Locked In The Ninja Closet
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I have a G17 with a CAP front and a G17 with an Ameriglo FO front... I don't have time differences but the CAP is bright in both bright light and overcast. The FO's seem to dim too much for me in overcast.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I have 4 sights that I've used/am using on my Glock 19s...
    Thanks very much for the reference info dudes!

    Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    These are mounted on my carry pistol but my comparison is from shooting them in USPSA matches. The FO front is my preferred front sight for shooting competitions outdoors. Even in low-ish light(an indoor range) the FO still gathers enough light to be very useful. I greatly appreciated the small, precise dot combined with sharp, black edges of the sight when shooting at plates. The Hack/CAP front really jumps in daylight and works well in low light, but I find that I lose precision with it over the FO front.

    The painted warren front works reasonably well but I prefer having a crisp black edge for precision work. The orange sharpie-pen paint can blend in with GA clay berms a little too well.

    The plain warren front I want to love but I just don't shoot it well on the clock. I love black sights during dry fire or bulls-eye practice, but frankly they suck at speed(for me).
    littleyerry, that is exactly the info I was looking for. I've found I do fine running black sights at speed, barring particularly unfavorable lighting conditions or target or background contrast issues (which any sight is subject to anyway.) I've been running those black sights for a while now, and while I think they are great and have helped me improve my seeing abilities enormously, I think maybe I should try another high visibility front sight. I'd like that to be a tritium front, but I was questioning how good it would be in daylight since those are all rather large dots or squares and FOs can be a pretty small dot...

    Not sure what to do, but thank you both very much.
    "Conscience is our guide,
    peace is our shelter,
    beauty and perfection is our life."
    - Bruce Leroy

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    thank you all guys

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Walker,La.
    I have used Glocks with fiber optic front and I can see the Ameriglo Pro Glo tritium front sight better indoors or outdoors on a cloudy day. I do have vision issues and YMMV.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Logout