Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: The good stuff? (Scotch)

At a friend's birthday party the other day, we broke out a Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or. I haven't had a 'whoa, dude!' moment with Scotch in a long, long time, but this did it. It had some subtle floral/citrus notes that really set it apart from the other malts we were drinking. It reminded me somewhat of Lillet Blanc, but far more subtle. It's one of the first bottles I've had in a long time that's made me say "I need to get one of these!".

Quote Originally Posted by LHS View Post
    At a friend's birthday party the other day, we broke out a Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or. I haven't had a 'whoa, dude!' moment with Scotch in a long, long time, but this did it. It had some subtle floral/citrus notes that really set it apart from the other malts we were drinking. It reminded me somewhat of Lillet Blanc, but far more subtle. It's one of the first bottles I've had in a long time that's made me say "I need to get one of these!".
    Glad to see Glenmorangie getting some love. I think they consistently put out excellent malts, even the "oddballs" like Signet.

I stopped by my local shop for some inexpensive whiskey for social uses. They had some Speyburn 10 Year on sale for 20 bucks. Never had it before, but gave it a shot. For something that's cheaper than stuff like JD, Bacardi, etc... this is excellent. Nothing Malt Heads will want your tasting notes on, but I could easily see this being a daily dram. Very strong honey notes.

Site Supporter
    On a different track, I like beer. And when I say beer, I'm usually talking Budweiser, Milwaukee's Best, or something similar. I just don't burn the carbs off as fast anymore so I've cut back, almost to the point of not drinking beer. But my son turned me on to this:

While I'm sure it's just a loaded with carbs, it tastes good enough that I'll drink one every now and again. It's fruity for a beer and leaves an aftertaste that hints of blueberries. I know that doesn't sound good in association with beer, but it really is.

Just don't ask me to pronounce it.

Here's a better description than I can give:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/29015/

Pours a Orange, burnt gold color. Looks like a witbier. A two finger bright white head that goes away pretty quick, Leaving some lines of lacing running down.

The aroma is a nice bright orange smell, with a few spices. Wheat and coriander. Smells a lot like blue moon but the coriander is much more subtle.

Taste follows the nose. An excellent balance of oranges, wheats, and spices. Tastes a lot like blue moon, but in my opinion much better. The coriander is more subtle, and lets the wheaty orange shine through. There is a slight taste of blueberries in the finish.

Mouth feel is good. No complaints. Good carbonation. You never want to over carbonate a wheat beer. Smooth crisp and clean from start to finish.

Overall In my opinion this is what blue moon should be. An almost perfect balance of wheat oranges and spices. Blue moon is strong on the coriander. This is a nice witbier. One of my favorite from leinie's. I will buy it over blue moon anyday, but witbiers aren't my favorite style.
    Last edited by Bigguy; 05-01-2014 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by lightning fast View Post
    Glad to see Glenmorangie getting some love. I think they consistently put out excellent malts, even the "oddballs" like Signet.

I stopped by my local shop for some inexpensive whiskey for social uses. They had some Speyburn 10 Year on sale for 20 bucks. Never had it before, but gave it a shot. For something that's cheaper than stuff like JD, Bacardi, etc... this is excellent. Nothing Malt Heads will want your tasting notes on, but I could easily see this being a daily dram. Very strong honey notes.
    Grangestone 12 is another good "budget" Scotch.

Line-en-kugel.
    It's Indian for "beer from Wisconsin"

Quote Originally Posted by m91196 View Post
    Line-en-kugel.
    It's Indian for "beer from Wisconsin"
    I thought it stood for "Good with brats".

The "Bin Laden": Two shots (in this case, Buffalo Trace) and a splash of water. Seemed appropriate tonight.

Right now I'm big on the Japanese single malts. My favorite budget single malt is Yamazaki, which is really hard to get in the states until the stocks recover from the typhoon. There are few others, I have a bottle of Nikka (I think) that I like quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    My favorite budget single malt is Yamazaki, which is really hard to get in the states until the stocks recover from the typhoon.
    It's pretty easy to get around here, but the price has risen about $30 in the past four years. We are also lucky to have a Suntory Restaurant here. Since it's the restaurant of the brewery that makes Yamazaki, getting a great meal and great Single Malt is easy. They have a wall of 18yr, and you can see cases upon cases in the back

Speaking of Glenmorangie: either here or elsewhere the 10 year was recommended as a decent cheap starter scotch. I bought a bottle to try out (only tried scotch a few times over the years), and I don't really care for it.
    So now I have to wonder:
    Is the 10 year just not good stuff?
    Maybe I'm just more of a bourbon guy? I haven't tried a bunch of those either but preferred Maker's Mark to the Glenmorangie.
    Am I just not manly enough for real scotch?
    All of the above?

User Tag List