Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let’s talk about front posts & rear notches

Let’s talk about front posts & rear notches

I have a question for the hive.

What is your preferred width of front sight post and rear notch? I am specifically asking WRT to game guns, not carry guns.

I am not asking for brand recommendations or recommendations on color, style, or shape. I am strictly asking about widths as they relate to sight picture (i.e. obstruction of target, amount of “light bars” on each side of the post, etc.). I am still chasing that balance of speed and precision and hope to learn a bit from your experience before expending a ton or energy, time, and ammo on this one.

I am currently using a .140 front post and .180 rear notch on all my carry guns and my game guns. This setup has worked well enough, however, I feel I could gain a bit more precision on the longer IDPA & GSSF stages by making some adjustments.

I decided to try some different combos and literally have a handful of “options” en route to me. I ordered fronts posts in widths of.090, .115, and .125. I also ordered .150 and .164 rears. I figured I could mix and match them to see what gives the best sight picture, speed, and precision.

I am leaving my carry guns all “as is” for now with .140/.180. I just think I need to do something slightly different for the games.

I am really diggin' the match of the .140 Hack front from Ameriglo with a .150 Warren rear for speed and precision expounded on here: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...est-Gun/page30

Closer runner up for me is .125 front with .150 rear.

I very much prefer a tighter "window" on the rear notch vis a vis the front because I sense that with the right front (high contrast) the tighter rear really delivers the goods from 10--15 yards and then out to 25-50 even more so.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-28-2011 at 03:15 PM. Reason: added detail

For me its a .180 rear notch and a .125 front ( Ameriglo Operator pros, or standard IDots) I really like the sharp white dot on them.

I'd like to have a .120 ish front with the .180 notch and see how that works, but no one ( that Ive found) makes on with the white dot that I like.

I can have Full "miss alignment" on this sight set up and still make a "0" down hit at 7 ish yards, with good trigger control. On a 3x5 card at 7 yds as long as I have card on either side of the front sight, and aging having great trigger control make a good hit.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

For precision at longer distances, I like thinner front sights so that the post takes up less of the target. Adjust the rear to your own preferences.

For a game gun I like 0.115"/0.150" combo, sometimes going to a 0.140" rear sight but never larger than 0.150".

I tried the Ameriglo Hackathorns and really like them,the .180 rear works perfect for me (not sure on the front sight width), although now I am rocking this sight picture which works a little better for me.

Chemist.

Quote Originally Posted by willowofwisp View Post
    I tried the Ameriglo Hackathorns and really like them,the .180 rear works perfect for me (not sure on the front sight width), although now I am rocking this sight picture which works a little better for me.
    The Ameriglo ProGlo (which is the Hack) is .140 wide. That is what I'm using now ... ProGlo orange/green front and all black rear with serrated face and .180 notch.

Quote Originally Posted by VolGrad View Post
    The Ameriglo ProGlo (which is the Hack) is .140 wide. That is what I'm using now ... ProGlo orange/green front and all black rear with serrated face and .180 notch.
    I thought it was .140 but wasn't totally sure, I did try the new trijicon HD sights and I really like the yellow(which is really green) front.
    Chemist.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    In general I prefer to have a lot of light around my front sight...I'm not really good with the exact dimensions of front vs. rear in terms of .0xx of an inch or anything, but I usually know it when I see it. I rather like the arrangement with the Warren sights and with the Heinie "Quick" sights on my P30.

The only downside to the sights is that you have to pay a little more attention to left/right orientation of the front sight, especially when shooting for precision. (either 2" or less targets at under 15 yards, or X ring size targets at 25 yards) If you aren't careful it's easy to get the front sight a little bit too far to the left or the right. It's a very minor issue that is overshadowe by the more sensible sight picture at speed though, IMO.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    The only downside to the sights is that you have to pay a little more attention to left/right orientation of the front sight, especially when shooting for precision.
    This becomes less of an issue when you are using 2-dot tritium sights (if the dots are properly aligned by the manufacturer).

It becomes even more of an issue when you are using 2-dot tritium sights (if the dots are not properly aligned by the manufacturer).

Brian Enos recommended in his book to have 50% of the width of the front sight in empty space (light) on either side of it.

I followed his recommendation and got a .100 width front sight in a height to match my factory rear, which is .150" wide. I then filed down the bottom of my rear sight so I could see the entirety of the height of the front sight when looking through it. It's obviously not exactly 50% on both sides but close enough.

It's worked very well in competition for me so far. I've won a couple stages at local USPSA matches that had targets predominantly out to 35yds (shooting Production).

I think I could have hit them with anything thinner than my old .150 width front sight that came stock. That was awful for precision work, like doing surgery with a Bowie knife.
    All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

User Tag List