Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shield vs XDS grip realty

Shield vs XDS grip realty

I was under the impression the Shield and XDS grips were only large enough for a two-finger hold, but I just saw a video on youtube where a guy said he has average-sized hands but he was able to hold an XDS with three fingers (albeit just barely).

Is anyone familiar with both guns? If so, does one look like it has more real estate for fitting a third finger. I'm leaning towards the XDS-9 w/3.3" barrel.

Thanks in advance.

I wear size 9 Mechanix, and cannot get a third finger on an XDS (in the gun shop). I CAN get a third finger on a Glock 29, for comparison (in a gun shop). (I have not fired either.) Hope that helps in some way.
    "I don't want to be lorded over by a Bible thumping theocrat any more than a frappa-lappa-mocha chino sipping hoplophobic statist."-FredM

cool, thanks klewis

I was banging steel at 50yds with a shield with short mag. Pinky goes under the mag and not uncomfortable for me. I use XL gloves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

I can get my pinky on the shield. So far it seems like one of the most shootable little guns I've ever used. I wear medium gloves typically

I will add that I do have a grip tape wrap on the grip. Really locks in the small thin frame to my hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Yea I like that grip tape better than my stippling :/

I shot the Shield and XDs for deliberate comparison in July 2013, and several times since. The comparison session is written up in post #19 of this thread: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.p...-Results/page2

I have large hands, long palms and fingers, but not meaty. My GI flight glove size is 12. I can get three fingers on both guns with the short mags. Reloads with short mags require more grip shift than I like and pinch my pinky. The 8rd mag in the Shield (without the sleeve) works okay.

I liked the XDs far more than I thought I would. It had a nice trigger and shot accurately more easily than the Shield. It's grip surface is far superior to the Shield in every way and highlights the Shield's shortcomings when they're side by side. Particularly noteworthy on the XDs are the undercut trigger guard, grip texture, and protected mag release. It did well in the exercises I fired.

Try both if you can.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

.45 XDs on top, 9mm Shield on bottom...both in my left (strong) hand. Sorry for the crappy pics but it's bedtime.

great feedback, thanks

User Tag List