Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast

Thread: Ron Avery Talks the Science of the Draw Stroke

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Perhaps Cory needs to invest in a course on how to tuck in a shirt to keep it out of the way.

That will probably read more harshly than than the intended tone. In two videos of Cory, he constantly either fiddling with his shirt to get it out of the way or getting it caught in the holster.

A video of me would reveal that I really need to be getting to a shape other than round...
    Round is a shape.
    Before I do anything, I ask myself, “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing.
    Dwight K. Schrute

Quote Originally Posted by The Dreaming Tree View Post
    Round is a shape.
    That's why a wrote a shape other than round. I have already accomplished that one...

I got to agree that there is way too much over analysis of the draw stroke in the latest Cory video. Particularly since he pretty much goes to two different extremes. That competition draw stroke where you barely clearing the holster is a recipe for tossing a gun down range. But a pure defensive draw stroke where you draw into a ECQC level retention position (which I think is the best retention position) wastes time unless you are going to retention or clearing an object.

Instead of attempting to put your draw stroke into a cookie cutter pattern, as we are all different shapes (many of us, including myself are round). Those are only really good for teaching newbies. You should adapt your draw stroke to your holster position, your body type, and the needs of the current situation that you are in.

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    I got to agree that there is way too much over analysis of the draw stroke in the latest Cory video. Particularly since he pretty much goes to two different extremes. That competition draw stroke where you barely clearing the holster is a recipe for tossing a gun down range. But a pure defensive draw stroke where you draw into a ECQC level retention position (which I think is the best retention position) wastes time unless you are going to retention or clearing an object.

Instead of attempting to put your draw stroke into a cookie cutter pattern, as we are all different shapes (many of us, including myself are round). Those are only really good for teaching newbies. You should adapt your draw stroke to your holster position, your body type, and the needs of the current situation that you are in.
    I'm buyin what you're sellin!

Quote Originally Posted by PPGMD View Post
    You should adapt your draw stroke to your holster position, your body type, and the needs of the current situation that you are in.
    So, is this adaptation something you can do "in the moment?"

Quote Originally Posted by WIILSHOOT View Post
    So, is this adaptation something you can do "in the moment?"
    Yes, and no.

Your basic draw that works for you should be something that you have done some many times that you can do it in your sleep.

But the minor adaptations would be done in the moment. Like drawing while seated in a chair, or drawing to shoot over a bar. Because you can't practice every scenario that you are going to have to draw from. Granted you should ideally be thinking, and even practicing of how you would do it for common situations (like in the car), but you are unlikely to get enough practice to become unconsciously competent with these variations.

I can draw and fire A zone hits all day long from 5 yards under a second using the 4 step draw. There is too many goof reasons (retention, sight alignment, transitions,etc, etc,) that far out-weigh 2-3 tenths of a second. Faster is better yes, but there needs to be a balance between faster and smarter. Leaving a student to figure a different draw stroke while they are in a fight for their life is not something I could ever support. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Bell View Post
    I can draw and fire A zone hits all day long from 5 yards under a second using the 4 step draw. There is too many goof reasons (retention, sight alignment, transitions,etc, etc,) that far out-weigh 2-3 tenths of a second. Faster is better yes, but there needs to be a balance between faster and smarter. Leaving a student to figure a different draw stroke while they are in a fight for their life is not something I could ever support. YMMV
    So do you tilt over to the retention position every time you reach step 2? Do you just drop your rifle to do a proper step 1 when you are doing transitions? If drawing from an appendix holster do you move your pistol over to a proper step 2 position?

If you answered yes to any of those question, you are the example of rigidity that I was speaking about. The four step draw is simply done to help basic students get into the proper general technique for a draw, it was never meant to be the set in stone way to draw each and every single time.

And I agree they shouldn't be trying to figure out their draw during a "fight for their life" that is what dry fire, and range practice is for. Anything I say isn't for the newbie student that will spends a grand total of 5 minute practicing anything after they learn it. It is for the serious shooters that will take an technique or idea and work it until they have mastered it.

But even once you mastered the your base techniques you need to be flexible enough to adapt to the situation at hand, like transitions or moving to a full retention position.

So do you tilt over to the retention position every time you reach step 2? Do you just drop your rifle to do a proper step 1 when you are doing transitions? If drawing from an appendix holster do you move your pistol over to a proper step 2 position?
    I'm a bit confused. Between Tom Givens and Tiger McKee, my actions at any count depend on external input, I.E., what the bad guy is doing or how he's positioned. IME, it's always easier to modify a plan than to have no plan. I can adjust my four count draw to the circumstances and find it quite flexible.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, here's a decent video of a four count draw, though I think his position 2 is too low.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gafcaj2Xf44

With the new IDPA rules ditching duty gear for sanctioned matches, I have been working on drawing from an open front concealment garment. I do not typically carry in such a manner.

Sweeping the concealment garment out of the way has my hand approaching the pistol from a different angle than "normal". That combined with not having a retention device to release has been throwing my timing off; so, I have been practicing a more exaggerated press-out than I have "normally" used.

The mechanics of it isn't has fast, but I am getting on the sights more consistently this way.

It sucks. I want my duty gear back.

User Tag List