Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meet The 'Liberator': First Fully 3D-Printed Gun

Quote Originally Posted by G60 View Post
    The fatal flaw in this knucklehead's argument is trying to apply the infancy and uncertainty of Second Amendment jurisprudence to something that is clearly protected by the First Amendment.
    Do you think the actual 3D printer itself is protected by the 2nd Amendment, or the transfer of files?

Being the printer is a manufacturing device, I'm not understanding how the 1st Amendment applies to it. Transfer of files I can see, but regulating/restricting the sale of 3D printers would be totally doable as far as I can tell.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

IIRC, Ceausescu's regime registered all printers and typewriters in Romania during his reign, so it's really no surprise the Democrats want to go down this path (even for a 3D printer).

I believe that when we see litigation regarding 3D printers, it will be on first amendment grounds, and the author suggesting they can be heavily regulated because they're "not protected by the Second Amendment" is misunderstanding the technology and the law completely.

He's also counting on gun manufacturers supporting regulation of 3D printers and gun parts with some wild "Same way the RIAA went after piracy" analogy.
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

Quote Originally Posted by G60 View Post
    I believe that when we see litigation regarding 3D printers, it will be on first amendment grounds, and the author suggesting they can be heavily regulated because they're "not protected by the Second Amendment" is misunderstanding the technology and the law completely.

He's also counting on gun manufacturers supporting regulation of 3D printers and gun parts with some wild "Same way the RIAA went after piracy" analogy.
    Err, yeah, that's what I was asking. I see I wrote both 2nd and 1st Amendment in my question; it was suppose to be just 1st Amendment...

So, why do you feel that this sort of manufacturing equipment would be protected by the 1st Amendment?

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    IIRC, Ceausescu's regime registered all printers and typewriters in Romania during his reign, so it's really no surprise the Democrats want to go down this path (even for a 3D printer).

Right, but those were instruments of what our Constitution considers protected "speech." As a 3D Printer does not produce "speech" but rather objects, it is no different than a mill or lathe. I'd certainly find it hard to believe a mill or lathe to be protected by the 1st Amendment, which is why I'm wondering how a 3D printer would be.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    This didn't take long.

A California senator plans legislation to prohibit the use of the technology to make "untraceable and anonymously-produced guns"
    There are no restrictions or screening to prevent felons and criminals from downloading and printing anonymously the designs of the Liberator, Yee said.

"We must be proactive in seeking solutions to this new threat rather than wait for the inevitable tragedies this will make possible," he added.

Site Supporter
    Does he mean other than the fact that it is illegal under both California and federal law for felons to possess firearms? I think a lot of the talk on 3D printed guns not being subject to the GCA has made some people believe that current gun-control laws do not apply to 3D printed guns. The only laws avoided by making your own firearm for personal use are the licensing requirements of the GCA. All other laws apply. I'm guessing most who print the Liberator will fail to add the steel piece that was added to avoid prosecution under the Undetectable Firearms Act. (18 U.S.C. § 922(p)). Hopefully, Defense Distributed will include a warning that making the firearm without the steel insert is a federal felony.

So...we WILL be registering all mills and lathes as well? Cause you know, you can build a gun on them too...in your garage.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Any effort to ban or regulate 3D printers paints the person hawking it as a Luddite dullard, absolutely indistinguishable from witch-burning primitives.
    3/15/2016

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Luddite dullard
    What stripe would you like that in? We have a rather large contingent in Congress.

POTUS Wannabe, East Coast Progressive, West Coast "Do as I say, not as I do" Progressive
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Law Professor Josh Blackman has a few comments about the issues attempted regulation of data might introduce:
    http://joshblackman.com/blog/2013/05...an%27s+Blog%29
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

User Tag List