Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt Cobra

Colt Cobra

I went to visit my FFL buddy and he has a nickel plated Colt Cobra and some pimptastic gold plated 1911 parts out on his bench. Turns out a customer had him send the gun and parts off to be refinished, never came back for them and come to find out he’s passed away. The Cobra is the old style with unshrouded ejector rod; it has some pitting on one side of the barrel (under the nickel plate) and the nickel plating isn’t the greatest. Also the finish guy somehow missed the cylinder crane and cylinder latch so they’re still blue. Other than that it’s mechanically fine. My buddy offered it to me for a stupid low price and I’ve got it on loan to test it out. I’ve got a 642 so I don’t NEED it, but it would be a cool second snubby and an interesting companion for my Python.
    So a few questions- anyone else own/carry a Cobra or Detective Special?
    Recommend any good grips? For some reason I’m thinking grips are harder to find for the old style Colts.
    What would you do about the finish? I’m not crazy about nickel and since it’s not original I’m guessing any collector value is shot anyway. I could live with it but mainly hate to have the two mismatched parts.

Site Supporter
    There were 2 generations of Cobra's prior to the 1973 revamp with the shrouded ejector rod.

First generation Cobra's have a full length grip frame. Better stocks are very hard to find for them.

Second generation guns are the most common, and have the same grip frame as the post-1973 guns. There are many options for them. My suggestion is Secret Service stocks from Eagle Grips. They are great for double-action shooting but are still compact for concealment.

Nickel plate can be removed, but it will leave the parts slightly under-sized. You could have it stripped and re-nickeled, but it won't be stupid cheap any more.

My wife has a Detective Special that as you can see by the picture has been pimped a little with the grips and plated trigger and hammer. She doesn't carry it since she started carrying a 1911 and wants me to sell it but I find it to be a cool little gun and take it out once in a while, just for fun.

-Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Site Supporter
    SecondsCount- That's a neat old gun. A little trivia, in case you don't know:

That is a first generation Detective Special. Note the long grip frame, the narrow front sight, and slightly shorter ejector rod. The 2nd generation guns (Dick Specials and Cobras) have wider, more visible front sights, a longer ejector rod, and the short grip frame. That dates this gun's build time to prior to about 1955.

Back when this gun was built, the gold plated trigger and hammer were not done to pimp the gun. The gold plating was smoother than the underlying steel, and was a quick fix action job for better double-action shooting.

I used to own a 2nd gen Cobra. I sold it and regret it. Anyhow, the pachmyr grips for it are pretty decent and make it a little more concealable and give it a little more textured grip.

FWIW, I've owned three Detective Specials. Two bought new, one used. One of the new and the used one went out of time within about 1000-1500 rounds of DA dry fire and live fire. The other new I carried but shot sparingly. They all had wonderful smooth actions. These D frames shared lockwork.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-27-2011 at 08:25 AM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    I'll second the Eagles if it's a short-frame.

It's been so long since I've owned a Colt revolver that when a friend handed me a Police Positive he was considering purchasing and asked what I thought about the timing, I put the fingertips of my off-hand against the cylinder to apply drag as I started to slowly thumb the hammer back... and literally jumped and got a startled look on my face when the cylinder started turning in the wrong direction. For some reason my friend found this highly amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    SecondsCount- That's a neat old gun. A little trivia, in case you don't know:

That is a first generation Detective Special. Note the long grip frame, the narrow front sight, and slightly shorter ejector rod. The 2nd generation guns (Dick Specials and Cobras) have wider, more visible front sights, a longer ejector rod, and the short grip frame. That dates this gun's build time to prior to about 1955.

Back when this gun was built, the gold plated trigger and hammer were not done to pimp the gun. The gold plating was smoother than the underlying steel, and was a quick fix action job for better double-action shooting.
    Thanks Tom for the information. For what we have in the gun we will hold on to it. Once in a while her lady friends will want to try a revolver and she will bring it to the range for them to shoot.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

thanks everyone, interesting stuff. From the serial # and the sights looks like this one is '66 or so and short frame.
    I'm liking the Eagle grips,they would give it a cool new / old look as well as being very functional.
    Mr. Givens- thanks for the info, esp. on the refinishing. I'd love to have the Colt royal blue on it but that ain't happening.
    Tamara- thanks for chiming in, and love your blog even though it makes me look up words and stuff
    It'll likely be months before my buddy remembers to ask me if i want to keep this thing so i've got time to think about it, but if it shoots good I'll likely keep it.

Ah, one other question- with a little effort it will fit into my j-frame holster but looks like it would stretch it out eventually. Would a holster for the Colt work ok with a j-frame or are they just not compatible?

User Tag List