Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolver specific training?

Question Revolver specific training?

Todd, do you ever offer any revolver-specific training?

Thanks,
    Steve

We are diminished
    I do not, nor do I consider the revolver a particular area of expertise of mine. While I've had students come through some shorter classes with revolvers, most of what I teach is fairly high round count and not many people want to pull heavy DA triggers 500 times a day (or reload 100 times a day!).

Three guys I'd recommend who truly specialize in revolvers:

"The world is not revolver neutral" - the problem that us wheelgunners face is that most firearms training is focused primarily towards semi-automatic pistols. However, the right mindset can grab maximum value out of any training class. The same principles apply from semi-autos to wheelguns, draw, sight alignment, economy of motion, the press-out, etc.

Unfortunately, there are fewer and fewer guys running wheelguns, so it doesn't make a lot of financial sense for trainers to offer a dedicated wheelgun class that may only see 7 or 10 participants. I was even going to shoot a Magpul class with a wheelgun, but then I decided against it specifically because I didn't feel like reloading all the time. So instead, I'll take most classes with a semi-auto and then try to apply the same principles from the class to revolver shooting.

I took one of my DTI courses with John Farnam and used an S&W Mdl 65, and I've seen a few others with them at his classes. John's had a lot of experience teaching the revolver so there is another option for training.

I'm not in the same category as some of those other folks, but I do teach to the revolver quite a bit due to my CCW classes, so that might be something to look at, a local CCW trainer.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

I had quite a bit of revolver training, having gotten "on da job" back in the day when coppers carried wheelguns. I recall when "auto pistol transition" training classes were all the rage and the semi-auto was seen as some sort of exotic weapon system.

Anyway, even with my background I jumped at the chance to attend Claude Werner's snub class in OKC last year.
    It was a most excellent class, by an excellent instructor, and I learned some good TTPs specific to the snub that I had not seen before.
    Highly recommended.

Personally, I've learned a great deal about revolvers (how they work and how to operate them) through teaching NRA Pistol classes. If you find the right NRA Pistol course with the right group of instructors you can find some real expert advice on wheelguns.

Sand Burr Gun Ranch in Indiana has many revolver only courses, including snubbie only. Massad Ayoob even does classes there occasionally. They seem to be a top notch place as far as revolvers go, although I have no personal experiences with them.

I was in Claude's class with tpd223 and second everything he said. I learned several things I was doing wrong because I was treating the J as an autoloader. It was a very worth while class. I would like to take a De'Bethencourt class as well but I haven't seen a class for him west of the Mississippi.

FWIW, I recently found out that Thunder Ranch is now teaching Defensive Revolver classes. Clint has frequently recommended the large-bore revolver for defense and should give a good program with it.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

I wholeheartedly concur with the recommendations for Claude Werner. He has taken quite a bit of time to study the use of a revolver, specifically a snub, as a viable defensive alternative. He is an excellent instructor, with a very good classroom portion as well as practical application.

Wheeler

User Tag List