Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hornady 45ACP TAP - damaged primer out of the box!

Hornady 45ACP TAP - damaged primer out of the box!

Hey folks,

Wanted to post up about a potential issue with Hornady ammo...specifically the 45 AUTO +P 200gr TAP FPD. Just picked up a couple boxes at the local gun store (would have gotten the 230 but they didn't have any...), and happened to open up one of the boxes to oogle the fancy rounds while waiting in the car for my wife. On inspection, I found this (sorry for enormous images but hard to see the damage when they are scaled down):

Glad I looked the rounds over before putting them in a carry mag! I'm kinda shocked to see this sort of thing from such premium-level ammo. In case you can't make it out, the lot number is 3112633.

I've reached out to Hornady via the comment form on their website, will post up how they respond.

Inspect, thoroughly, every round of defensive ammo you plan to load into your defensive guns.

This post is a good reminder of that.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Another example that EVERYONE makes crap at some point in time. Even the top tier manufacturer's occasionally have QC issues.

And as BOM pointed out........absolutely inspect every single round you intend to put into service as offensive/defensive ammunition.

In another thread, TAM points out/reminds us that most ammo makers are running at max capacity, and a very possible side effect is less effective QC. We would all be well served to keep that in the back (or front) of our minds as we head out to our various ranges. Maybe we don't take as much for granted with our ammo, and save ourselves a blown gun, or worse, a "click" when you NEEDED a "bang".

Deformed primers, rolled case rims, dented/dinged cases, undercharged rounds are on the increase in the current craziness. Some are better at holding standards than others.

Hornady CS is GTG. They'll take care of you.

Over the past few years I have seen bad Ranger-T, Gold Dot and Hornady. Currently sitting on two boxes of PDX-1 that need to go back to the factory.

YOU are the final inspector in the QC train of duty ammo.

We are diminished
    Concur with all above. (see blog post here)

A buddy of mine has a huge collection of factory-produced faulty rounds. It happens. Trust no one!

Agreed with all the above. I've had bad rounds from pretty much all the major players over the years. So I inspect each round that goes into the carry guns and size-check them as well to make sure they will feed correctly.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Hornady 45ACP TAP - damaged primer out of the box!

Hanging out with senior shooters will provide at least one anecdote for every manufacturer -- and I think we can expect a pretty good spike in this sort of thing as folks try to keep pace with demand.

My favorite is my buddy's Gold Dot with no flash hole. Just you try to inspect for that. He used it as a reason for reloading his carry ammo -- packing his own parachute as it were. Hard to argue with, but I just practice malfunction clearances.
    Last edited by JAD; 05-05-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post

My favorite is my buddy's Gold Dot with no flash hole. Inspect for that. He used it as a reason for reloading his carry ammo -- packing his own parachute as it were.
    Not sure I follow the "inspect for a flash hole".

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Not sure I follow the "inspect for a flash hole".
    I think he meant "try to inspect for that". No flash hole is one of my worries. The FBI just had some Winchester duty ammo that had that very issue.

The no powder in the case thing can at least be caught if you weigh your rounds.

User Tag List