Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semantics: Indulge ME ME ME

Semantics: Indulge ME ME ME

Is there a difference between the following terms:

solipsism
    grandiosity
    narcissism

Are they related? If so, how are they related?

Are they unrelated? If so, how are they unrelated?

Or is it complicated?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Is there a difference between the following terms:

solipsism
    grandiosity
    narcissism

Are they related? If so, how are they related?

Are they unrelated? If so, how are they unrelated?

Or is it complicated?
    Solipsism: has a "p" in it for philosophy and is the theory that the only thing we can know is our own observations. All others are invalid. Example: how do I know we both see the color green the same way.

Grandiosity: think grand and therfore a grand piano and think Liberaci, who is overly flamboyant and peacocky.

Narcissism: from Narcissus, the boy who fell in love with his own reflection in the water so much that he drowned, IIRC. This is a person who believes the world revolves around them.

That should answer the related questions as well, I hope.

Now did I just fall for a practical joke/rorschach test for having answered these questions? Lol!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    Solipsism: has a "p" in it for philosophy and is the theory that the only thing we can know is our own observations. All others are invalid. Example: how do I know we both see the color green the same way.

Grandiosity: think grand and therfore a grand piano and think Liberaci, who is overly flamboyant and peacocky.

Narcissism: from Narcissus, the boy who fell in love with his own reflection in the water so much that he drowned, IIRC. This is a person who believes the world revolves around them.

That should answer the related questions as well, I hope.

Now did I just fall for a practical joke/rorschach test for having answered these questions? Lol!

Dare I say you are the SME on the above terms?
    What does that say about you?
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    Dare I say you are the SME on the above terms?
    What does that say about you?
    I was a philosophy major, could ya tell?

Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    I'm grandiosely solipsistic.

That means I'll tell you that relationships with strippers absolutely cannot work, but I'll be doing it through a megaphone while wearing a sequined cape and a monocle.
    3/15/2016

I believe there's a lot more skepticism involved for most definitions of solipsism, where not only are other minds not known, as your definition states, but neither is the external world, e.g., brain in a vat scenario, in which even our observations are not acceptable forms of knowledge generation, so the very color green may just be a projection of the mind (although with your choice of talking about color rather than a physical object, one could also get into qualia, the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis, etc., the interesting questions posed by cognitive science). To paraphrase Wikipedia, in solipsism, the only thing we can be sure of is the existence of our own mind.

I was a philosophy major, could ya tell?

You might like these, then:

Source: http://dresdencodak.com/

Whoops, meant to make that only one post... but meh.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I believe there's a lot more skepticism involved for most definitions of solipsism, where not only are other minds not known, as your definition states, but neither is the external world...
    That's always been my understanding, as well, though it's been more than 20yr since my last philosophy class. "Does BaiHu see the same red apple?" is a simple color inversion problem. "Is there actually an apple there or is it all just chemicals and electricity in my brain?" is closer to solipsism. Though I imagine there are those who'd argue even the presumption of a physical brain was going too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I believe there's a lot more skepticism involved for most definitions of solipsism, where not only are other minds not known, as your definition states, but neither is the external world, e.g., brain in a vat scenario, in which even our observations are not acceptable forms of knowledge generation, so the very color green may just be a projection of the mind (although with your choice of talking about color rather than a physical object, one could also get into qualia, the Sapir–Whorf hypothesis, etc., the interesting questions posed by cognitive science). To paraphrase Wikipedia, in solipsism, the only thing we can be sure of is the existence of our own mind.
    So, in other words solipsism = The Matrix.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

It's complicated.

User Tag List