Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We have met the enemy... and he is us

Site Supporter

We have met the enemy... and he is us

Pogo may prove to be the wisest of uf all.
    Amazing how many people stood right there and happily signed what they thought was a petition to repeal the 6th and 7th amendment.

AMENDMENT VI
    In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense.

Amendment VII
    "In Suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise re-examined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law."

Edit: I haven't looked for the video, but I think he's done the same thing with the First and Second Amendments.

I'd have said... "Well, I'm going to exercise my First Amendment rights and tell you to go F$%k yourself. Good day."
    Time flies when you throw your watch.

People don't care about rights. They hate the ACLU and the NRA. They just want to watch Dancing with the Stars and reality TV until their fat little arteries are so clogged with sugar byproducts that they can be the biggest loser. Why does this surprise anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by nonameisgood View Post
    People don't care about rights. They hate the ACLU and the NRA. They just want to watch Dancing with the Stars and reality TV until their fat little arteries are so clogged with sugar byproducts that they can be the biggest loser. Why does this surprise anyone?
    Yup. As long as a the proles have bread & games all is well in their little universe.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    People have been caught signing petitions to ban water, too.

While there are some people who are thoughtful about public policy, there are a great big swath of people who think society should do good things and make bad things go away...and that's as sophisticated as their understanding of the world will ever be.
    3/15/2016

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    (T)here are a great big swath of people who think society should do good things and make bad things go away...
    ...and then there are the people that vote for those people.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

When I saw this earlier in the week, it reminded me of the nicer way of saying "go away" for some. Many people are on such auto pilot that they're just "yes-ing" him to the point that they aren't even hearing what he had to say.

You could see them tune out by the way he would emphasize some really obvious points and yet they were still giving noncommittal, "will you go away if I scribble John Hancock on your clip board?"

These are the same people, IMO, that would watch a real shootout and think it was cool they were extras in the background of a movie shoot.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    ...there are a great big swath of people who think society should do good things and make bad things go away...
    Yep. However, the real problem with that is that they don't even take the time to think about whether the "bad thing" is truly bad, or, whether the proposed action to be taken is also a "good" or "bad" thing.

Apparently, thinking is just too hard, or too much trouble for a large majority. I wonder, if in the above situation, they were asked how they would feel if they were denied a trial by their peers in the spirit of expediency, would that even register with them?
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    I wonder, if in the above situation, they were asked how they would feel if they were denied a trial by their peers in the spirit of expediency, would that even register with them?
    Probably not, as long as pro sports or reality TV was still on.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Corlissimo View Post
    Yep. However, the real problem with that is that they don't even take the time to think about whether the "bad thing" is truly bad, or, whether the proposed action to be taken is also a "good" or "bad" thing.
    The people I'm referring to have no deeper understanding of the topic than whether or not the thing to be done is labeled good or bad. That is the basis of their support.

Hence the invocation of people voting to ban dyhydrogen monoxide which was labeled as a chemical that is responsible for thousands of deaths around the world each year.

"Gee whiz, Martha! That sounds bad! Someone should Do Something!(TM)"
    3/15/2016

User Tag List