Thread: This seems like a great source for pro-gun arguments, but...

This seems like a great source for pro-gun arguments, but...

Can anyone debunk or take issue with these stats?

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murd...nd-state#MRord
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Yeah.... Murder does not by itself reflect the state of violent crime. Ask the UK.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Cross-sectional comparison data is pretty much worthless. There are too many uncontrolled variables to get any type of confidence in a causal connection. The only way to get good data on the effect of the death penalty on murder rate is to do a difference in differences calculation. You would need to look at two otherwise similarly situated states in a period where one eliminated the death penalty and the other kept the death penalty and neither state changed a variable that could affect murder rate.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Cross-sectional comparison data is pretty much worthless. There are too many uncontrolled variables to get any type of confidence in a causal connection. The only way to get good data on the effect of the death penalty on murder rate is to do a difference in differences calculation. You would need to look at two otherwise similarly situated states in a period where one eliminated the death penalty and the other kept the death penalty and neither state changed a variable that could affect murder rate.
    joshs,
    Now that you're looking at this, I was less interested in the DP and more interested in the fact that I live in NJ and places that have less restrictions on 2A and have no DP statute have a lower murder rate per 100k. Like AK, ND, ME, MN, VT, IA, RI. I know there are more variables that make it more complicated and I also know that this data can be argued, which is why I asked for some refutation before I lay it at the feet of some antis I know.

Here's some info for general use, don't know how well it ties into the DP theme, though.

http://www.wallsofthecity.net/2012/0...ted-again.html

http://pjmedia.com/blog/gun-control-...inglepage=true
    Mike

Looks like pretty normal findings regarding DP (and incarceration in general). Locking people up and/or executing them doesn't seem to do much to reduce crime. We've known that for a long time.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    joshs,
    Now that you're looking at this, I was less interested in the DP and more interested in the fact that I live in NJ and places that have less restrictions on 2A and have no DP statute have a lower murder rate per 100k. Like AK, ND, ME, MN, VT, IA, RI. I know there are more variables that make it more complicated and I also know that this data can be argued, which is why I asked for some refutation before I lay it at the feet of some antis I know.
    Everybody uses cross-sectional comparisons for sound bites, but it really isn't all that meaningful. For example, comparing the states you listed to New Jersey isn't all that persuasive because there are so many other variables correlated with murder rate.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Everybody uses cross-sectional comparisons for sound bites, but it really isn't all that meaningful. For example, comparing the states you listed to New Jersey isn't all that persuasive because there are so many other variables correlated with murder rate.
    Thanks!

User Tag List