Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's just registration, they said.....no one will ever take your guns, they said.....

It's just registration, they said.....no one will ever take your guns, they said.....

I'm sure you'll all enjoy this HuffPost article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3117238.html
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I'm sure you'll all enjoy this HuffPost article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3117238.html
    Such is the fate of all those "reasonable" restrictions we keep hearing about.
    3/15/2016

I guess I missed it........what's the problem? California banned certain firearms. Now they are going to get the banned guns off the streets. ATF has a compliance section dedicated to tracking down and seizing illegal items under the NFA and GCA.

This is nothing new. Just new in California.

I am seriously curious as to the problem. Dude buys Glock. 3 years later is convicted of forcible rape at knifepoint. Told to surrender any firearms. Doesn't do it. CDoJ does nothing because of a lack of resources. They are hoping to get resources, and once they do, will be able to go and take said Glock from a convicted rapist/felon illegally in possessions of a firearm.

How is this a problem? I mean, seriously. Let's look beyond the tin foil hat paranoid conspiracy shit for once, and explain to me what is wrong with law enforcement enforcing the existing gun laws?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    How is this a problem? I mean, seriously. Let's look beyond the tin foil hat paranoid conspiracy shit for once, and explain to me what is wrong with law enforcement enforcing the existing gun laws?
    What flypaper law violation will bring DoJ to YOUR door?
    7-round mag violation? 7 years apiece in NY.
    Those pesky legislators get creative when they have "actionable intelligence".
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    What flypaper law violation will bring DoJ to YOUR door?
    Exactly. This doesn't apply to just rapists and shit. This applies to people who bought guns legally, and through legislation are turned into insta-felons.

And, holy cow, tin foil hat bullshit? I'm on the end of the spectrum that in the gunternet is considered a jack-booted thug of the state, black helicopters, "hi I'm the government and here to help you." I'm about as outside the tin foil hat bullshit as a libertarian gun owner could be.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

There's a few sides to this, IMO:

1) Even as legal gun owners who are pro 2A, we agree that we'd like to take illegal guns off the streets.
    2) However, if illegal guns being taken off the streets also means they can go door to door around the neighborhood, b/c maybe said felon has hidden his firearm 'unbeknownst' to you, then we've got a 4th issue.
    3) Then there is the practical viewpoint that we constantly gripe about in regards to 'enforcing laws on the books rather than making new laws'.

If this new funding actually disarms a) illegal aliens and b) felons without c) infringing upon law abiding neighbors, then I'm all for it, but with a state that is almost completely bankrupt.....perhaps they should focus on the problems that are costing them billions before they add a $24 million program to do something that will just cause the criminal to go get another FnF gun from Pedro who just crossed the boarder.

ETA: Is an ex post facto really part of this?
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

$24 million to confiscate 40,000 (est) firearms. that's $600/firearm (*koff* buyback would be cheaper?)

is there a record of how many formerly legal but now illegal owners commit crimes?
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

And now, what if Dianne Frankenstein gets an AWB Passed in CA with no Grandfathering? Guess what they will be coming after? Registration is a BAD thing.

This particular case sort of makes whatever point you want it to - from our perspective, if there weren't registration, they couldn't go after these easily, so while they may be truly illegal cases its just a short step to making something else illegal and rounding that up too. It validates that "registration leads to confiscation". To the other side, being able to go after these guns just proves that registration works and can keep illegal guns off the streets.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    This particular case sort of makes whatever point you want it to - from our perspective, if there weren't registration, they couldn't go after these easily, so while they may be truly illegal cases its just a short step to making something else illegal and rounding that up too. It validates that "registration leads to confiscation". To the other side, being able to go after these guns just proves that registration works and can keep illegal guns off the streets.
    Your comment is 100% spot on, which is really the problem - it is an ambiguous situation. When the Govt decides it is in the best interest of the people to confiscate legally owned firearms, and that the law gives them this athority, what will stop them?

User Tag List