Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: NC: 8th Grader Suspended & Arrested Over NRA T-Shirt at School

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Except to the extent that it was enough to get the police called and the kid arrested... in West by-God Virginia. So that certainly suggests that the kid wasn't just struck from behind by an enraged Bloombergian teacher.
    Pretty much my guess. It's possible the teacher and the police dramatically overreacted and are at fault. It's more likely, in my estimation, that the kid was behaving like a rebellious little snot and got introduced to some adult consequences.

I was ever only threatened with arrest once, and that was because I cracked a water fountain with a dude's face. In self defense, of course, but the school still had a dim view of it despite the bloody nose and busted lip he and his friends gave me slightly before that. I was usually pretty good at talking my way out of trouble. Avoided quite a few detentions that way. I even managed to get off scott-free after threatening to snap Jed Koblisch's neck right in front of the principal of my high school. It helped that neither of us liked that little punk and that even the principal had to admit that someone needed to knock his block off.
    3/15/2016

He's back in school today, wearing the same shirt. I can't tell easily from the angles shown but is it sleeveless?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

The funny part of this is that this is occuring in my home state of West Virginia. A state that dismisses classes the third week of November because it coincides with the opening week of deer season. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I'm pretty sure that most districts dress code makes it a no no to wear clothing with pictures of weapons, drugs, gangs and other what nots. Does it make sense? Probably not. Can a kid argue with a teacher about his breaking the school rules? NO. You can have discussions about most anything that is relevant to the topics being taught, but rules infractions are not on the list. It's kind of like arguing with a cop about the red light you blew through. Just not a good idea.

If the kid wanted to make a statement, maybe he should have ponied up for an NRA polo and not made it easy on the admin to make him look stupid.
    In Denver, kids can't wear a Peyton Manning jersey to school because his number "18" is also associated with a specific gang in the area and the schools do not allow any clothing that could signify gang affiliation.

A few more details here (note link to school's dress code in article):

http://news.yahoo.com/w-va-teen-arre...012034855.html

Separate link to the school's dress code:

http://lc2.boe.loga.k12.wv.us/manhigh/code.htm

West Virginia teen returns to school with NRA shirt, classmates' support - Washington Times
    Video evidence in the case, Mr. White {Jared's lawyer} said, indicates that the situation in the cafeteria deteriorated when a teacher raised his voice while confronting Jared. Other students jumped up on benches and began chanting Jared’s name.
    Okay, disruptive... of the cafeteria?
    Anyway, sounds like they suspended Jared as an alternative to suspending everyone having lunch at the time. Too bad they'd already made him a hero.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Update on this:

http://www.businessinsider.com/8th-g...t-shirt-2013-6

The West Virginia eight-grader arrested and suspended over his National Rifle Association T-shirt with an image of a firearm is now facing a $500 fine and a year in jail.

A judge is allowing prosecutors to move forward with charging Jared Marcum, 14, with obstructing an officer, WOWK-TV reported.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Quote Originally Posted by BaiHu View Post
    This stuff is turning me into a pessimist. Abuse of the system is becoming the rule in lieu of the exception.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Marcum got into an argument with a teacher over his “Protect Your Rights” NRA shirt at Logan Middle School in April.

Read more: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013...#ixzz2WVaFwrNF
    Translation: He took his disagreement to the point of disrupting class.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by TCinVA View Post
    Translation: He took his disagreement to the point of disrupting class.
    Well...lunch.

User Tag List