Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NC: 8th Grader Suspended & Arrested Over NRA T-Shirt at School

NC: 8th Grader Suspended & Arrested Over NRA T-Shirt at School

While the report doesn't include much information from official sources, this does seem like a major overreaction.

http://www.wowktv.com/story/22020264...er-gun-t-shirt

When 8th grade Jared Marcum got dressed for school this morning he says he had no idea that his pro-Second Amendment shirt would initiate what he calls a fight over his First Amendment rights.

"I never thought it would go this far because honestly I don't see a problem with this, there shouldn't be a problem with this," Jared said.

It was the image of a gun printed on Jared's t-shirt that sparked a dispute between a Logan Middle School teacher and Jared, that ended with Jared suspended, arrested and facing two charges, obstruction and disturbing the education process, on his otherwise spotless record...
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

Holy retarded Batman! Quick, to the bat cave...

At least that's how it looks to me...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

all I can say is, I hope the parents already have a lawyer lined up.
    personally if my kid wanted to wear a shirt like that, I'd explain what would likely be the initial events surrounding it, and make sure he wanted to go through with it. If so I'd be calling up all the lawyers I know and getting them on point to file lawsuits and injunctions before the ink dried on my kid's suspension.

that said... the whole thing is recycled horse feed.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

If that was my kid, I wouldn't let up til both some school staff and an over zealous LEO were looking for work...

Come on! With all this talk of common sense gun reform, I sure don't see too much common sense around the topic! I only hope the kid's dad taught him how to set up a nice clean lawsuit in a situation like this, and that the kid remembered the lessons. I'm not litigious by nature, but this sort of thing is insidious.
    The answer, it seems to me, is wrath. The mind cannot foresee its own advance. --FA Hayek Specialization is for insects.

I'd like to know what happened during the "dispute" over the shirt. I wholeheartedly affirm his right to wear it, but I'm guessing there's a part of the story that got left out. If he got arrested and charged, particularly with obstruction, I sure as heck hope there was more than a vague school policy violation.

Just for clarification, this is in Logan County, WVA...not NC. Title was misleading.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilco423 View Post
    I'd like to know what happened during the "dispute" over the shirt. I wholeheartedly affirm his right to wear it, but I'm guessing there's a part of the story that got left out. If he got arrested and charged, particularly with obstruction, I sure as heck hope there was more than a vague school policy violation.
    I second this. I find it hard to believe that this is over just the T shirt itse.f

All I can find is rehashed "reporting" of the initial story by the local TV station.

There is a lot missing from the story as it does not give info concerning the obstruction charge. I'll withhold my righteous indignation until more information is revealed.

I'm betting there would have been no "obstruction of education" had the "educator" not made an issue of it.

It takes two to tango.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List