Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Explosives background checks

Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    ...so what do you think is next on the chopping block?
    The next barn door to be shut will probably depend on which horse gets out next. Hopefully, while they are keeping a close eye on black powder and P-mags, the bad guys aren't weaponizing viruses.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    Hopefully, while they are keeping a close eye on black powder and P-mags, the bad guys aren't weaponizing viruses.
    Well lets just make it illegal to weaponize viruses!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean M View Post
    Well lets just make it illegal to weaponize viruses!
    Why didn't we think of that before! Duh! It makes so much sense now that you say it!
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

We are diminished
    I haven't read the bill, so a question for those so inclined:

Does the bill specify smokeless powder that is not in loaded ammunition or would it, on its face, make it illegal to buy something that contained smokeless powder? You know, like ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post
    The only thing I thought would make reloading illegal is the prohibition on manufacturing explosives. A round is just a tiny little bomb that we direct the blast of. I just know how these things get twisted. I'm sure you're right though.
    Small arms ammunition is not classified as explosives by the BATFE.

This bill would in not make it immediately illegal to reload.

Of course this bill is designed to get the camel's nose in the tent so to speak, so should face as loud an opposition as any other anti-gun bill.
    twitter.com/ddbaxte

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    In retrospect, it was probably a bad idea to call them "legislators".

Burger flippers get graded on how many burgers they flip; assembly line workers on how many bolts they put in holes; looked at that way, can you actually blame someone whose job description is "lawmaker"? The only tool they have is writing laws, so every problem looks illegal.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

brb panic buying 400 lbs of titegroup. PM me for rates
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by G60 View Post
    Small arms ammunition is not classified as explosives by the BATFE.
    But we still run into the word "explosive" as a potential issue...... Small Arms Ammunition and smokeless powder are "explosive" HAZMAT by the DOT, and requires a special license to drive it in quantities exceeding a certain (wait for it).....

......Net Explosive Weight.

NEW is calculated and measured by RE factor, against TNT, which has an RE of 1.00.

It requires a HAZMAT placard displayed on both sides and rear of the vehicle, marked as "Explosive 1.4S". There are specific restrictions such as no bridges, no tunnels, state to state laws with slight variations as well. In all of the publications governing the transport of such items, terms "explosive" and "Net Explosive Weight" are in widespread use. When a license is granted, the amendment/endorsement is for transporting "Demolitons and explosives". Certainly it includes other "true explosives", but there is a large section devoted to Small Arms Ammunition and smokeless powder.

The concern will always be exact wording of the bill, the wording of the final law, and interpretation of the law by DoJ, ATF, DOT, and other entities. All it takes to change the ATF's definition is for them to write a new definition.

User Tag List