Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles

I can do the work, that's not a concern. Rebuilt my first bike when I was 8. The BMW doesn't scare me and the only thing I was never confident with, carb adjustments, has been removed. All the electrical crap can be finicky but that stuff will be on any bike.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I can do the work, that's not a concern. Rebuilt my first bike when I was 8. The BMW doesn't scare me and the only thing I was never confident with, carb adjustments, has been removed. All the electrical crap can be finicky but that stuff will be on any bike.
    I'll take refurbing a carb over diagnosing/replacing faulty electronics any day.
    I'm a motorcycle luddite apparently. ;-)
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I would love to have a GS800 and be able to disappear to the mountains for days at a time. That's my retirement dream (which s a long time away unfortunately).

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    I'll take refurbing a carb over diagnosing/replacing faulty electronics any day.
    I'm a motorcycle luddite apparently. ;-)
    Working on carbs is easy. I was just never a fan of the fine adjustments, was never too good with it and was always too afraid to burn up an engine after seeing someone run a KX500 waaaaaay too lean.

If your looking at the S1000R, do yourself a favor and look at the Aprilia Tuono. The S1000R is of course a street fighter version of their S1000RR. And the Tuono is the streetfighter version of the RSV4 APRC. The big difference though is BMW neutered their street fighter version much more than Aprilia did. Aprilia only moved the torque and powerband around a bit from pure top end to more midrange where as I understand it BMW reduced all of the above. Although I will admit I don't fully love the looks of the Tuono, it is a two wheeled amusement park! It is not for riders that aren't used to performance bikes, however.

Shane

My 2007 Tuono is still a freaking blast to ride. Most fun bike I've ever owned, and I've owned a LOT of them.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    The insurance price on the FZ-09 is much better too, around $50 a month cheaper but I can't help but get the warm fuzzies over the S1000R. The FZ-09 being 98% of what I want in a bike, the BMW being 98.001% and $5k more. The main issue for me is that if we are being 100% pragmatic I wouldnt' be getting a bike at all and we know that if everyone made pragmatic bike choices Harley Davidson would be outta business.
    I've played that out in my head too, being pragmatic about a silly purchase.

It's just a matter of just how silly I want to be. I've benched my bike until the fall. Riding in the summer down here is brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by shane45 View Post
    If your looking at the S1000R, do yourself a favor and look at the Aprilia Tuono. The S1000R is of course a street fighter version of their S1000RR. And the Tuono is the streetfighter version of the RSV4 APRC. The big difference though is BMW neutered their street fighter version much more than Aprilia did. Aprilia only moved the torque and powerband around a bit from pure top end to more midrange where as I understand it BMW reduced all of the above. Although I will admit I don't fully love the looks of the Tuono, it is a two wheeled amusement park! It is not for riders that aren't used to performance bikes, however.

Shane
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    My 2007 Tuono is still a freaking blast to ride. Most fun bike I've ever owned, and I've owned a LOT of them.
    I'm gonna look into them this week. Waiting out the local dealer to get an S1000R in seems to be taking a bit longer than expected. There are a few within distance though, I just don't have the spare time to drive 3 hours to look at one, they may not let me ride it, and I am not sure I want to deal with a dealer that far away on a new bike.

Sat on the S1000R today. Dear god does it just seem perfect. Gonna see if schedule allows for time to make it to the Yamaha and Aprilia dealers this week or early next. Still sorta struggling on the BMW though. It is twice the price of the Yamaha and factor in some suspension work and a tune/pipe the Yamaha is still under $10,000. Salesman for the Euro dealer was adamant that I take a Monster 1200 for a ride too. If he insists...

JodyH, nothing has changed! I describe my 2014 as a 2 wheeled amusement park! I don't totally love the look of the bug front but man it is just crazy fun to ride. I traded in my 2008 Ducati 1098 for it.

orionzo6, here is a pic of mine

User Tag List