Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Prerequisites

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    The other issue I've heard of but thankfully never experienced is the "troll student," someone who signs up for a class with the express intent of being disruptive, arguing with the instructor, etc. While I'd first attempt to get the guy to play nice, someone who refuses to follow instructions is also getting the boot.
    This sounds far-fetched but I can see it happening under certain circumstances. I've been lucky so far but I only started in 2010.

I do think there are variations on the troll student. "Hit-Piece AAR Guy" comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Cunningham View Post
    Wow.

Anyway, I think there are times when it's appropriate for an instructor to kick an individual out with no refund.

I have yet to do it, though.
    My policy, unless its something completely outside the norms of reality, is to give the guy a credit for the next course. Havent had to do it yet but have come close. Working on the logic that he may just be having a switched off day. But I do reserve the right to tell a student ''you are the weakest link" if they pose a danger to me and their fellow students.

The other issue I've heard of but thankfully never experienced is the "troll student," someone who signs up for a class with the express intent of being disruptive, arguing with the instructor, etc. While I'd first attempt to get the guy to play nice, someone who refuses to follow instructions is also getting the boot.
    Closely related to the guy who pays a course fee so he can show everyone how deeply your techniques suck compared to his deathdealingninja stuff.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Closely related to the guy who pays a course fee so he can show everyone how deeply your techniques suck compared to his deathdealingninja stuff.
    I've had a few of those. With one exception, they saw that other people were actually getting better and gave my way a try. The one exception was epically annoying (and had a top score on the FAST of 8-something, as I recall) but didn't disrupt the class so no need to remove him.

I have seen this multiple times (as a student) and they have all failed at convincing anyone anything and most proved their techniques to be inferior. The mental breakdown of this type of student is usually spectacular and interesting to watch.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I've taken to adding to my briefing that if you are there to impress the other students rather than try what I'm teaching to please warn me so I can stick you in a corner out the way where you don't waste everyone else's time. Does seem to have helped.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

We are diminished
    I've taken to adding to my briefing that if you are there to impress the other students rather than try what I'm teaching to please warn me so I can stick you in a corner out the way where you don't waste everyone else's time. Does seem to have helped.
    FWIW I take the exact opposite approach (If you don't want to try what I'm teaching, hey it's your money, just tell me so I don't keep bothering you about doing it "wrong"). A great example is reloads: some students show up with prior training that has indoctrinated them into believing that the way I do a reload (by dropping the slide with the slide release) is suicidal. If I see a student rack the slide, I point it out. But if he tells me, "Hey man, I'm not going to change," then it's no skin off my nose. He's an adult and makes his own decisions based on his own priorities. If he thinks using the slide release will cause HIV so be it.

FWIW I take the exact opposite approach (If you don't want to try what I'm teaching, hey it's your money, just tell me so I don't keep bothering you about doing it "wrong"). A great example is reloads: some students show up with prior training that has indoctrinated them into believing that the way I do a reload (by dropping the slide with the slide release) is suicidal. If I see a student rack the slide, I point it out. But if he tells me, "Hey man, I'm not going to change," then it's no skin off my nose. He's an adult and makes his own decisions based on his own priorities. If he thinks using the slide release will cause HIV so be it.
    Funny that you mention that exact example. The prevailing technique in the LE circles around these parts is the overhand method to drop the slide on a reload. I fully understand and respect the arguments in favor of it, but I admit that I use the slide stop. When I teach, I give the pros and cons of each method and let it ride.

Anyway, I was at a class being hosted by another agency. When I dropped the slide with the slide stop, they actually made a point of making a big deal about using the overhand method and that using the slide stop was wrong. They didn't do it with an "in your face" presentation, but it was clear they were astounded anyone would do it any other way. They were SWAT guys; so, what do I know...

Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    Funny that you mention that exact example. The prevailing technique in the LE circles around these parts is the overhand method to drop the slide on a reload. I fully understand and respect the arguments in favor of it, but I admit that I use the slide stop. When I teach, I give the pros and cons of each method and let it ride.

Anyway, I was at a class being hosted by another agency. When I dropped the slide with the slide stop, they actually made a point of making a big deal about using the overhand method and that using the slide stop was wrong. They didn't do it with an "in your face" presentation, but it was clear they were astounded anyone would do it any other way. They were SWAT guys; so, what do I know...
    I've encountered the same sort of reaction when using the slide stop over the years. I've been told to not use it because under the stress of a defensive encounter, my fine motor skills would degrade to such a point that actuating / depressing this lever would be impossible. Those same people cannot articulate how I can effectively manipulate a trigger or get rounds on target without fine motor skills.

Quote Originally Posted by FredM View Post
    I've encountered the same sort of reaction when using the slide stop over the years. I've been told to not use it because under the stress of a defensive encounter, my fine motor skills would degrade to such a point that actuating / depressing this lever would be impossible. Those same people cannot articulate how I can effectively manipulate a trigger or get rounds on target without fine motor skills.
    Exactly.

Fine vs gross motor considerations notwithstanding... Remember that LE instruction is geared toward the LCD, and an ever increasing quantity of students who are not gun people. The overhand technique works with other gun manipulations and stoppage clearances, simplifying instruction and student skill development.

User Tag List