Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rogers Shooting School

I need lots of work but:
    Rogers' hugely improved my shooting, particularly at speed. Also the reasons behind Rogers' as presented in the book and lectures helped improve my training methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico1985 View Post
    Didn't want to start a new thread so I'll ask this question here.

Was talking to a shooting buddy about the possibility of going to Rogers Shooting School at some point in the future. He has been to way more classes than I have and is of the opinion that in rogers your training for a certain course of fire or test rather than a realistic event. He says it's like shooting a skill based drill that should only be used as a metric instead of an entire system.

I disagree with him but I've never been either. For you guys that have been can you explain how rogers is not just shooting a certain test that should be used as a metric over and over for the sake of getting a good grade on the test.

Thanks

I agree with your friend in many ways. The course is not a mimicry of a realistic event and is much closer to a metric performance than "tactical" training. In fact, I found more things that I disagreed with than agreed on "tactically". I think that Rogers is mostly a cool steel challenge match.
    It is also very taxing, and therefore is very useful rom a standpoint of mental focus assessment and training.
    It doesn't train one course of fire, it trains shooting transitions at speed in a variety of ways, interjected with a ton of one handed manipulations. How important that is depends on user's preferences.

Spencer:

- Commit early if you'll be shooting from appendix or open, and hit SHO draw hard.

- As GJM said, one handed shooting is the key, and many of us found SHO harder than WHO, for a number of reasons.

- Study TLG's series on Rogers astutely, remember the sequence of each stage before you go there and read his annotations, they are excellent.

It is called the "Rogers Shooting School," and while Rogers techniques are tactically sound, Bill specifically says his goal is to teach shooting skills, which can then be applied to whatever tactics are appropriate to you.

The training largely supports the Rogers School test, repeated identically six times over the five shooting days. This is the same test the Rogers School has been administering for more than two decades. It is a great way to benchmark your progress within the Rogers week, and if you return to Rogers.

Among a number of contributions to the training world, I think what differentiates the Rogers School, is Bill's personal emphasis on one hand shooting at a high level. I bluffed my way through one hand shooting over the years, and only after being humbled at Rogers did I (start) to learn how to shoot with one hand. No, taking on 23 bad guys with just your support hand, from one shooting position is not realistic. However, you can't shoot well at Rogers without being able to shoot at a high level with one hand. I just wish I first went to Rogers 20 years ago.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Thanks for the info guys. Now I can more intelligently argue with my friend.

I concur with GJM. The school is about shooting. It isn't about tactics.
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

I attended the Rogers Shooting School a few years back, and like was mentioned above, I wish I had done so many years before. It is definitely a "Graduate School" for tactical handgun shooting, not a tactics class. I took a 1911 single stack in 9mm....and while it was certainly a wake up call for strong hand only, and support hand only shooting, my reloads certainly got better over the visit at the school. While it is a very different training experience......I certainly enjoyed the chance to measure my improvement and ability throughout the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Fennell View Post
    [Snip] I took a 1911 single stack in 9mm….
    Ouch!

User Tag List