Thread: SIG LE Trade in - Magazine Safety?

Site Supporter

SIG LE Trade in - Magazine Safety?

Calling the SIG Geek squad ......

I recently purchased an LE trade-in DAO SIG P 226 in 9mm. It is a non rail gun with the one piece slide and solid pin.

The price was reasonable enough to make converting it to DA/SA viable but the seller neglected to mention it has a magazine safety. The pistol cannot be fired without the magazine in place like the traditional S&W autos.

I've heard of SIG offering this on LE contracts but it's the first SIG I've seen with the Mag safety.

So.... the question is will the mag safety preclude converting this gun to DA/SA ?

Are standard DA/SA internals compatible with this weapon ?

Is this something that would be of interest to a SIG collector ?

We are diminished
    Should be easily convertible. I have no idea on the collector value. You might want to ask at SIGForum.

There are two styles of magazine safeties in Sigs. The old style involved machining the frame and some extra parts. The new version is a replacement locking block. Removing the first type requires a precisely shaped spacer and probably isn't worth it. The second kind is very simple to swap. You need the replacement part and 2 minutes.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Todd,
    Is 100% correct on this. If the locking block has a small spring near the rear top (By the mag well) you have the newer type. Hopefully you do, it is much more reliable and as Todd said much easier to remove. Contact Sig C/S if you can't tell, they're usually pretty helpful.We have never had nor have I ever heard of anyone having a problem as far as failure or interference with the new type. The older style had some issues though; hence the redesign. I have more experience with the L.E. magazine disconnect than I care to admit.

Site Supporter
    Thank you. The two different styles of mag disconnect safeties explains the conflicting reports I've heard regarding their reliability.Unfortunately, my new acquisition has the older style mag disconnect built into the frame rather than the locking block.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Going to bring this thread back to life (it has only been 3 months so it isn't quite dead - insert Princess Bride or Monty Python and the Holy Grail reference here).

I also purchased a Sig (229 in this case) LEO trade in that had a magazine safety and was DAO.

This pistol has the older magazine safety which has the machined frame. As illustrated here.

The intent was to convert it to DA/SA and put an SRT trigger into it.

The conversion from DAO to DA/SA went extremely well with no issues whatsoever - this is a simple procedure that with the right parts can be done in a matter of minutes.

The problem is however that the magazine safety interferes with the sear on the SRT. The research I have done on the internet has mentioned a fabled replacement part available from SIG which will replace the magazine safety an allow normal clearances which will allow the SRT to be installed. However my attempts to get this piece from Sig customer service has been futile.

Essentially, the issue is that the angular wedge of the magazine safety that prevents the safety lever from moving without the magazine installed on a normal trigger, gets in the way of the SRT sear preventing its installation. The simple solution would be to remove this portion of the magazine safety thus rendering the magazine safety inop. Another more complication solution would be to have a replacement part fabricated as has already been mentioned. A simple collar or piece of brass tubing the same thickness as the magazine safety could work but I'm not so excited about the idea in potential self defense gun. I have written SIG customer service asking it it is possible to buy a replacement magazine safety so that I can modify one of them, but I have not received any word (nor am I holding my breath).

The question here for the experts is, if this gun were used in a self defense shooting, just how bad would the removal of the magazine safety look given that 99.99999% of all Sig pistols are without magazine safety?

Is it even worth it? I installed the SRT in my P228 (which this P229 was supposed to complement), and while nice is something I can live without.

User Tag List