Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Words I hate on the internet

Infidel
    I do my best proofreading after I hit "Send"

Sheepdog... Any time I hear it in person I walk away and at some point the person who said it ends up pointing a gun at me (at the range). Everyone here and on other forums gets it, no need to try to steal some extra thunder by proclaiming yourself the sheepdog of this Wal-Mart. It also seems to be a great marketing tool.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Please don't hate "kit" or its other manifestations. It's such a great word for gear and even if it's stolen from the cool UK guys, most of our language was stole similiarly.
    I don't disagree, "kit" is used in all kinds of other sports and pursuits. I do hate when two accountants sit around and talk about their new Sheepdog kit though. For some reason, and it's likely me just being too cynical, I feel like "kit" should be reserved for those who are actually issued kit, not some banker with too much time on his hands. When Arc'Teryx comes out with LEAF gear that includes a color that matches the woodgrain on the tellers desk we can talk.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan_S View Post
    I don't think that is necessarily true. If you don't have experience with something, I appreciate it...
    Well sure. When I said "generic" I didn't mean "applies to every person," but rather, "isn't limited to the world of bovine gestation observation."

It's also why I referred to the hypothetical individuals in my examples as "jerks," rather than saying it applied to all enthusiasts of those fields.

Apologies if I wasn't clear enough. My general point was that it's not uncommon for people to fixate on one small piece of the world and decree that all others should be similarly fixated.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Well sure. When I said "generic" I didn't mean "applies to every person," but rather, "isn't limited to the world of bovine gestation observation."

It's also why I referred to the hypothetical individuals in my examples as "jerks," rather than saying it applied to all enthusiasts of those fields.

Apologies if I wasn't clear enough. My general point was that it's not uncommon for people to fixate on one small piece of the world and decree that all others should be similarly fixated.
    Fair enough.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Seems to be a pretty generic human trait to me: "If you don't have expertise in subject X and I do, that means you are a drooling imbecile!"

Car jerk says, "You don't know how to replace your own transmission? Ha! Idiot! You shouldn't be allowed to live!"

Computer jerk says, "You don't know how to assemble a PC from parts? Ha! Idiot! You shouldn't be allowed to live!"

Gun jerk says, "You don't know how to press your own ammo? Ha! Idiot! You shouldn't be allowed to live!"

Canadian jerk says, "You don't even know how to ride a dog sled from your hoose to the trading post for a loonie worth of maple syrup? Well that's a-ok by me, buddy!"

Totally agree, although in general I would word the last comment MUCH more harshly, and I apologize is people find the language upsetting or coarse: "You don't even know how to ride a dog sled from your hoose to the trading post for a loonie worth of maple syrup? Well, I'm none too impressed there, eh? Course a good skidoo'll run ya pretty good too, though, eh. Plus, you could pick us up a couple cases of Kokanees for May two-four. Well, have a good one, grandma. See you after breakup."
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    "You don't even know how to ride a dog sled from your hoose to the trading post for a loonie worth of maple syrup? Well, I'm none too impressed there, eh? Course a good skidoo'll run ya pretty good too, though, eh. Plus, you could pick us up a couple cases of Kokanees for May two-four. Well, have a good one, grandma. See you after breakup."
    Further proof that Canada is a bilingual country. They speak French, and whatever the heck misanthropist just said. Though I can tell you from personal experience that most of the people up there do understand English and some speak it fluently(-ish).

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Sheepdog...
    I don;'t carew what you guys say, my wife bought me this t-shirt and I'm not getting rid of it!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Butters, the d*** shooter Byron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    ...I would word the last comment MUCH more harshly...
    I was going to hit the "report post" button but it seems Todd already saw your post. Jeez. I guess the rules about foul language are no longer being enforced around here!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Further proof that Canada is a bilingual country. They speak French, and whatever the heck misanthropist just said. Though I can tell you from personal experience that most of the people up there do understand English and some speak it fluently(-ish).
    I am a firm believer in the various flavors of English being spoken are different languages. Kind of like humans and chimps; 98% of the DNA is exactly the same but that other 2% is what makes the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by CMG View Post
    I am a firm believer in the various flavors of English being spoken are different languages. Kind of like humans and chimps; 98% of the DNA is exactly the same but that other 2% is what makes the difference.
    You should hear the unholy admixture of Mandarin and Mountaineer Appalachian developed and spoken by my old buddy. We call it "Chinglish."

User Tag List