Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Words I hate on the internet

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    The Garand clip is unique in that it stays with the ammo.
    *Pushes taped glasses up on nose*

[Prof. Frink voice]Aactually, Mannlicher's system used en-bloc clips as well, as found in Steyr-Mannlicher rifles as well as the German Gew.88, the French Berthier, and the Italian Carcano, among others...[/Prof. Frink voice]
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

[Prof. Frink voice]Aactually, Mannlicher's system used en-bloc clips as well, as found in Steyr-Mannlicher rifles as well as the German Gew.88, the French Berthier, and the Italian Carcano, among others...[/Prof. Frink voice]

You are sooooooo very, very hot when you do that.

Just sayin.

Site Supporter
    I don't hate the sheepdog concept, or really much at all. I think people should be comfortable in who they are. When did being a Man become not enough? Do you think every guy that's joined something distinguishing was any more or less of a Man the day after than he was the day before?

I think we need Father figures honestly. But, that's another topic. Rather than people who don't have a sense of identity so they must do something to be someone. God said I am when asked who he was, he didn't have to explain who he was. Food for thought.

I'm not saying this in a macho way either, I think society really struggles with this as a whole.

1) TEOTWAWKI- Usually goes hand-in-hand with all the bright green zombie crap and tossed around by the fatasses on Doomsday Preppers. The only cool things 'zombie' were the original Romero films and the first Resident Evil. And if you want to survive "TEOTWAWKI," make sure you are in shape enough to run across the street and not collapse in a sweating mound of air-sucking, nylon-clad blubber.

2) Tactical- It's a knife, not a Tactical Folder. It's a light, not a Tactical Illuminator. There is nothing Tactical about the knife clipped inside the pocket of your Tactical Pants. It's a fancy, often overpriced pocket knife. Unless you are working as a team to call out barricaded suspects, serve warrants, rescue hostages or in combat with said knife or light, it's not really all that tactical.

And don't even get me started on the Tactical/Practical ads in the gun rags.

"SHTF"

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post

Why, thank you professor. The subject was the M1 Garand and I said it was unique, not the only one.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    Why, thank you professor. The subject was the M1 Garand and I said it was unique, not the only one.

but....but...but...
    u·nique
    /yo͞oˈnēk/
    Being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else: "the situation was unique in modern politics"; "original and unique designs".

"Booger hook"

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbm View Post
    "Booger hook"
    Makes my skin crawl.
    3/15/2016

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    The reason I hate the sheep/sheepdog/wolf thing is that there are no sheep. There are no sheepdogs. There are only wolves. Human beings are, essentially, pack predators. All of us are. That is why wolves bonded with us so strongly that we made a new species out of them to keep them around all the time...they're very similar to us. They understand simple human society because it is similar to their own.

There are no sheep, and people who think in terms of sheep and sheepdogs are both putting themselves on a very weird pedestal, and totally missing the fact that ordinary people - "sheep" - can, potentially, turn in to wolves at any moment. You take a mob of urbanites outraged because some cops just arrested their friend, mix in two drinks each and man, you have a recipe for serious violence.

You take a city full of yoga-mat-carrying free-range-chicken eaters and knock their team out of the Stanley Cup in game 7, and you have police cars on fire and tear gas everywhere.

Regular people come from the same predatory stock as cops and crooks. You give them a reason and they can be as comfortable with violence as anyone.
    While I hate those terms as much as most posters here, I'm not sure I agree with that analysis, because your examples all call upon group dynamics that encourages violence as a group... but not as an individual. My understanding of the paradigm is that the "wolf" and the "sheepdog" are both able to engage in violence alone and without group approval, albeit for different reasons, while the "sheep" generally are not. I agree that exceptional circumstances can certainly compel almost anyone to act with great violence, but the question of just how exceptional the circumstances must be would probably serve to differentiate the average person from those much more comfortable with violence.

User Tag List