Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting CO

Site Supporter

Visiting CO

There's a chance I'll be spending two weeks in Colorado in the next few months, near Carbondale & Canon City. One week is booked solid, the I'll have a few days before and after my obligations to visit any interesting sites.

Is there anything I should check out?

At this point, Utah.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...mark-gun-bills

I don't know anything near there, but I know a great gun range in Denver.

Go find the closest 14er and hike it. Being at the top of one of those mountains is a great experience.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    At this point, Utah.
    I can't go too far from those two cities listed.

Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post
    Being at the top of one of those mountains is a great experience.
    My 7 days of obligations is actually biking through those mountains. I hope to have some great views.

I'm just trying to see if it all works out financially.

Mount Evans isn't too far from Caņon City. It is well worth the trip up there, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Evans

First time there, I saw bighorn sheep and mountain goats. Second time up, I only saw a few mountain goats.

Great place to go, in my opinion.

Smuggle in magazines, pay for your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Al T. View Post
    Smuggle in magazines, pay for your trip.
    Hell, make it M&P9 mags and I'll be your personal tour guide!!!

Site Supporter
    A drive up Pikes Peak is a quick way to see some great scenery.

There are Gold and Silver mines all through the area you'd need to drive between Caņon City and Carbondale. Some operate as tourist attractions where you can pan for gold (a bit hokey, but an interesting experience for a few hours if you've never done it before), a few are working mines still operated with relatively conventional machinery.

Some excellent motorcycling opportunities in that area if you're a rider. Both adventure/off road and National/State forest tracks that are well maintained. I suppose you could bicycle on those, but, ever since I went mountain biking in New Zealand I've sworn off self-propelled transportation in mountainous areas.

Spring time is snow-melt... Great rafting opportunities abound. Bring your wet suit. Brrrrrrrrr!

Salida is a great town... Check their calendar and catch some music outdoors. Symphony under the sunset with the Rockies as a backdrop is pretty awesome.

If you travel via Denver, try to catch a night game at Coors Field. Get seats on the first base side of the park. From that vantage point you can watch the game AND the sun setting over the front range. Local eateries and pubs abound nearby the ballpark.

Traveling with kids? Some of the local rodeo's in the mountain towns are pretty good.

Excellent microbrew everywhere. If you drink a Budweiser while you're in Colorado, you should be forced to watch Joe Biden videos on YouTube for 48 hours.

All this "gun-control" BS really put a wet blanket on my plans to move to CO.

Have fun!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

You could visit the Royal Gorge and Pikes Peak.

I'm not sure how far those are from where you will be.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

My family has had a house in Carbondale since 1972. I grew up spending the summers out there. Very beautiful area.

A few quick suggestions below. I will try to add more later but PM me if you have any questions. I'm not sure of your exact time frame but most of my recommendations are May-Sep since I am usually only there in the summers.

Take a jeep tour to the Crystal Mill and Marble.
    Hike up to hanging lake in the canyon just outside Glenwood Springs.
    A balloon ride in Snowmass is one of the coolest things I have ever done.
    Fly fishing is excellent. The Frying Pan and Roaring Fork Rivers are fantastic. Fishing the Colorado is good too. Our house is several acres on the Roaring Fork so I am a bit partial. I can recommend a good guide if you need one.
    Lots of biking trails around.
    Aspen is OK but a little too rich for me. I usually go for lunch and take the wife to window shop.

Restaurants:
    White house in Carbondale is decent pizza joint
    Russets in Carbondale is good.
    Village Smithy in Carbondale is good breakfast
    Riverside Grill in Basalt is a good location right on the Frying Pan River

User Tag List