Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New H&K TRS install record!

New H&K TRS install record!

2 minutes 46 seconds start to finish replacing a HK45C trigger return spring.
    Starting with tools out on the desk and a completely assembled pistol.
    Finished with an assembled pistol, function tested.
    Only tools utilized were two 1/16" brass punches and a long skinny screwdriver.
    Even had time to sip some coffee while I was at it.
    I have TRS installs down to a art.
    Now if I could just learn the trick to getting the LEM hammer, cocking piece and elbow spring in place quickly I'd be a happy man.

"For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Revenge of "Herr Ingenieur".
    LEM installation nearly drove me to drinking hard liquor today.
    It's hard enough trying to align the LEM hammer/cocking piece/spring and sticking the axel through without fighting the trigger bar and trigger detent/spring launching into space.
    It was like a Rocky comeback, just when the German had me on the ropes I connected with a lucky shot and the momentum of the fight changed.
    Eye of the tiger!
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    ~~LEM installation nearly drove me to drinking hard liquor today.
    It's hard enough trying to align the LEM hammer/cocking piece/spring and sticking the axel through without fighting the trigger bar and trigger detent/spring launching into space.~~
    We really need some one to sell those TRS tool that HK people supposedly have.

It takes me 5 min to 30 min to install one of these things. That doesn't bother me. The little tool marks I end up etching in to the internal of the frame does, however. I know that it doesn't affect function; and they are small scratches. But still.....

Quote Originally Posted by kennjen View Post
    The little tool marks I end up etching in to the internal of the frame does, however. I know that it doesn't affect function; and they are small scratches. But still.....
    I don't use any tools for prying around inside the frame.
    For the TRS I drop it into position with the one leg behind the trigger.
    I then stick one 1/16" brass punch through the "big" trigger pin hole on the left side of the frame and use it to gently pry the spring down into place.
    Then I take the other 1/16" brass punch and push it through the "small" trigger pin hole on the right side of the frame and push it all the way through (pushing the other punch out as I go).
    Then I use the trigger pin to push that punch out.
    Voila! Done.
    Occasionally I have to use the small flat screwdriver to adjust the spring alignment, but I just push it around, I never pry on anything.

That stinking LEM two piece hammer/cocking piece is a pain in the butt to get just right, while holding the trigger bar down against the detent just right, while pushing the axle through just right to not knock everything out of the just right alignment.
    Oh, don't forget the elbow spring has to go in there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    2 minutes 46 seconds start to finish replacing a HK45C trigger return spring.
    Starting with tools out on the desk and a completely assembled pistol.
    Finished with an assembled pistol, function tested.
    Only tools utilized were two 1/16" brass punches and a long skinny screwdriver.
    Even had time to sip some coffee while I was at it.
    I have TRS installs down to a art.
    Now if I could just learn the trick to getting the LEM hammer, cocking piece and elbow spring in place quickly I'd be a happy man.

Sorry, I missed the posting of your address and fee schedule. As soon as you provide that my v3 P30L will be inbound.
    If you can't taste the sarcasm, try licking the screen.

Gettin’ old and blind ain’t for sissies. ~ 41Magfan

We are diminished
    While the TRS used to give me fits, I don't particularly recall having problems with the hammer(s) and elbow spring. A little bit of grease on them keeps them pretty well aligned. The process does sometimes beg to be performed in zero gravity, though.

HK: We told you the gun only needed maintenance every 25,000 rounds. You want to do it more often? We'll show you!

I thought about grease, but I hate having sticky grease way down deep inside.
    -phrasing-

We are diminished
    FWIW, grease is what HK recommended in the armorer course. A little bit between the inner and outer hammer and on the outside of the outer hammer really does help the trigger feel, too.

Ugh. I did my first LEM install/conversion the other night. Started at ~9:30. Took forever to get it finished (I was swapping out the TRS and FPB springs to get to the TGS LEM) and when I was done, I noticed the trigger moved backwards and then back forward when the slide was racked. Assuming I did something wrong, I tore it all down and redid it. Finally had it all together at ~2:30a and the trigger still followed. I gave up, made a forum post on the HK forum and woke up to the news that the trigger does that with the LEM set up. Screw it. At 25,000 rounds, I'm just buying a new one.

User Tag List