Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AR15's are bad, mkay?

Why is she so proud of missing the target?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Wow. "For campaign purposes"

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Hypocrisy....?? ... LINK
    No, I'm sorry, but:

1) getting a bullet in the brain might, rightly or wrongly, change somebody's opinions about a few things and,
    2) I believe her when she says she's on of those "gun owner, but..." types.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Yes, it is hypocrisy.

If you profess something and a "life event" changes your mind then just maybe you didn't critically think your way through your original position.

Reminds me of the folks who change their position on gay marriage when they find out a relative is gay.

Many things people believe are based on emotion and not thought.

In Giffords case, as with all politicians, I don't trust them.

I'd be more willing to buy the life changing event motive if everything lined up better. She was shot in the head with a handgun, not an assault rifle, and they're clearly still pro-handgun. Unless of course you're suggesting that her change in stance is related to brain damage, but I'm not reading it that way.

I just can't shake the feeling this is being angled for some sort of "long game", I'm just not savvy enough to know what it is for sure.
    I do my best proofreading after I hit "Send"

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC View Post
    I'd be more willing to buy the life changing event motive if everything lined up better. She was shot in the head with a handgun, not an assault rifle, and they're clearly still pro-handgun. Unless of course you're suggesting that her change in stance is related to brain damage, but I'm not reading it that way.
    Believe it or not, there are people who have no problem with you being licensed to carry a revolver or even a Glock but who would have you go through an NFA-grade background check to buy an AR, or ban them altogether, or restrict them to ten-round mags. It's true! Not all gun owners are wookie-suiters who shout "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!" at the the idea of background checks.

Personally? When I'm goddess-empress of the planet, you'll be able to buy a Mk 48 out of a vending machine on the street corner, but until then we need to figure out a way to swing these people to our point of view, and I'm pretty sure that opening sentences with "Listen, you hypocritical gun-grabbing traitor..." isn't going to help.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Believe it or not, there are people who have no problem with you being licensed to carry a revolver or even a Glock but who would have you go through an NFA-grade background check to buy an AR, or ban them altogether, or restrict them to ten-round mags. It's true! Not all gun owners are wookie-suiters who shout "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!" at the the idea of background checks.
    I agree with this generally, but, we're talking specifically about the Giffords here... I'm sticking with Hypocrisy.

Personally? When I'm goddess-empress of the planet, you'll be able to buy a Mk 48 out of a vending machine on the street corner, but until then we need to figure out a way to swing these people to our point of view, and I'm pretty sure that opening sentences with "Listen, you hypocritical gun-grabbing traitor..." isn't going to help.
    But we're talking among friends here, so, speaking the truth is ok.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I get that. It's just her posing with one, then calling for the their banning as quite the about face.
    I do my best proofreading after I hit "Send"

One of my students, who is bi-curious* about guns, saw a pro 2A sign on his way to my house for a lesson today-in NJ of all places-so he asked me how serious the situation has become. Is this guy's sign about 'they are going to take away our guns' an actual concern?

Instead of peppering him with my thoughts, I let him watch my new go-to-video of Henson Ong. At one point he said, 'Well I'm not sure if I believe the Tiananmen Square would never happen part, but he was the most eloquent speaker for an immigrant on our country and the 2nd A.' I agreed and said maybe Ong should replace LaPierre. Then I reminded him that if the Chinese had never disarmed the populace to start, then Tiananmen might not have happened due to earlier resistance by the populace. He had to at least acknowledge that as a possibility.

Anywho, after that exchange he said, 'I don't believe for a second that magazine capacity or any other restrictions will stop any criminals. And secondly, all of these mass shootings are typically white boys gone wrong in the head.' I said he needs to speak up more, b/c we need more people like him speaking logically about something they normally don't engage in. We need these intelligent middle grounders speaking up on our behalf more than ever.

*He's a history buff and understands the importance of 2A, but he hasn't gotten the gumption to go shooting with me yet-he's a bit of a firearm-phobe. He's held my Garand, b/c it was a piece of history to him, but I think I've gotten him convinced to at least start on my pellet gun.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

It's true! Not all gun owners are wookie-suiters who shout "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!" at the the idea of background checks.
    The nature of government really isn't all that hard to understand though, is it?

As the great pirate philosopher Mal once said, "That's what governments do. They get in a man's way."
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List